website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

That's Ireland at the Olympics, we've seen it all before. Get ready for a lot more of the same over the next two and a half weeks - with hopefully a few medals thrown in here and there as well to soften the blows of all the "could have been" medals that we'll inevitably miss out on.

4 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

That's Ireland at the Olympics, we've seen it all before. Get ready for a lot more of the same over the next two and a half weeks - with hopefully a few medals thrown in here and there as well to soften the blows of all the "could have been" medals that we'll inevitably miss out on.

You always hope it will be different this time round though. And we never seem to pull those completely random unexpected medals out of the bag unlike other countries. But let's not be too negative, its a disappointing defeat but a lot of sport to happen the next couple of weeks and a lot more medal chances. The rugby lads gave it a great go but a bit of composure combined with a poor refereeing decision cost them I'm the end 

That's the thing, and I've been thinking about that as I've heard and seen a lot of people predicting 9 to 11 medals for us in these games. Not every medal we're fancied to win will come in, and we almost never seem to pick up any of the surprise ones that seem to inevitably find their way to the larger nations.

The only possible difference this time is that we're throwing more darts at the board than we've ever thrown before, so hopefully there will be an unexpected bullseye at some point in the next couple of weeks. The sevens wasn't it unfortunately.

The best thing about the Olympics though as a supporter (not for the unsuccessful competitors of course) is that you get over the disappointments a lot quicker as there's always another event coming up to take away your attention. We're competing in nine other sports on Saturday, so plenty to look forward to.

The pommel terrifies me like no other Olympic event involving Irish competitors. Just need a nice, safe routine from McClenaghan later to get him through to his final.

Edited by Cosmo Kramer

33 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

The pommel terrifies me like no other Olympic event involving Irish competitors. Just need a nice, safe routine from McClenaghan later to get him through to his final.

Right? It’s even harder to watch than the nerve-wracking showjumping.