website statistics

[POLL] How is the hype around Paris Olympics in your country? Road to Paris 2024

[POLL] How is the hype around Paris Olympics in your country?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How is the hype around Paris Olympics in your country?

Here in Brazil, people really like the Olympics and I think it has increased especially after Tokyo 2020, especially now that they are disappointed with the performance of our football team, so this sport has not stolen as much attention from other sports as usual.

Not to mention that the new sports, surfing and skateboarding, are super popular here and Brazil's rise in gymnastics and Brazil's unexpected qualification in basketball.

7 hours ago, hoversaBR said:

Here in Brazil, people really like the Olympics and I think it has increased especially after Tokyo 2020, especially now that they are disappointed with the performance of our football team, so this sport has not stolen as much attention from other sports as usual.

Not to mention that the new sports, surfing and skateboarding, are super popular here and Brazil's rise in gymnastics and Brazil's unexpected qualification in basketball.

This is similar to the US. Copa America did not even register on most American's radars. The US Olympic trials were very successful this year so I have to imagine things are more hyped than for Tokyo.

Basketball is getting a lot of press, it always does, but Lebron and Curry on the same team is the story right now. The Sprinting netflix doc also came out which put the spotlight on Lyles and Richardson. Breakdancing is also getting some hype, people are proud that the dance style from the Bronx is now an Olympic sport. Skateboarding, surfing, climbing are all getting highlighted as well.

Edited by Book

Main 'hypes' are around Euro (but that's obviously calmed down quite a bit :p) and the Tour de France, although hype really is a big word for that. I mean, there's a few talk shows about it daily, but it's not really like everyone is all the time talking about it :d 

Olympics are mentioned in some commercials, as in 'watch the Olympics from 26 July!' (even though it really should say 24, but ok), but that's about it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

It's kinda medium compared to some of the previous years. Nobody wants to really hype the volleyball chances since we got burned at the OG so many times lately media don't even try to spin "this time it will be different" shtick. Also our athletics has bounced off the Father Time wall. Except Kaczmarek most of our athletes are basically over the hill and even hammer doesn't look like getting us a gold medal. Overall we might fail to win double digit medals for the first time since 1956 and everyone kinda expects it.

41 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's kinda medium compared to some of the previous years. Nobody wants to really hype the volleyball chances since we got burned at the OG so many times lately media don't even try to spin "this time it will be different" shtick. Also our athletics has bounced off the Father Time wall. Except Kaczmarek most of our athletes are basically over the hill and even hammer doesn't look like getting us a gold medal. Overall we might fail to win double digit medals for the first time since 1956 and everyone kinda expects it.

Do people follow that many sports closely? Just asking because here lots of people see all the predictions and go "lol no way we will win that many medals", but when asked which other teams or athletes will be stronger, the answer is usually something like "no idea, I don't follow those sports".....I mean, come on :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Do people follow that many sports closely? Just asking because here lots of people see all the predictions and go "lol no way we will win that many medals", but when asked which other teams or athletes will be stronger, the answer is usually something like "no idea, I don't follow those sports".....I mean, come on :p 

Nobody follows niche sports like rowing or canoeing here except the Olympics where we can suddenly win some medals. Someone like Karolina Naja has 4 Olympic medals and nobody would recognize her on the street in Poland :p

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Nobody follows niche sports like rowing or canoeing here except the Olympics where we can suddenly win some medals. Someone like Karolina Naja has 4 Olympic medals and nobody would recognize her on the street in Poland :p

Yeah, same here. But that's what makes it annoying when people (like in so many countries) are pessimistic about the chances. "I don't think we'll win a lot of medals in rowing"....but, based on what? "Because it would be so typical Dutch to fail" :lol: 

People talk as if the results of, say, swimmers in 2012 would have an influence on the results of rowers in 2024, because they sure don't look at actual rowing results :p (with rowing just a random example of course)