website statistics

[POLL] Which nation will finish ahead of the other, both arranged in pairs, in the medal tally at Paris? Road to Paris 2024

[POLL] Which nation will finish ahead of the other, both arranged in pairs, in the medal tally at Paris?   

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which nation will finish ahead of the other, both arranged in pairs, in the medal tally at Paris?

I went with :JPN:ITA:MEX:GBR:IND

Only 3rd and 5th were confusing 

I'm expecting a strong performance from Mexican Archers maybe a gold and from rest sports 1 gold.

For 5th one :IRL have solid medal/gold medal chances in Rowing, Golf, Swimming, Taekwondo, Athletics maybe even Rugby.

:IND has lesser chances on paper which would revolve around a stronger women's squad accross sports. Most of them are however precision sports which is kinda makes us nervous considering how we have been so far. Then it's Badminton, Neeraj, Weightlifting and very important sport Wrestling.

Then is Boxing where both nations have strong favourites probably which would decide the battle.

2 hours ago, Olympicsnell said:

:GBR:FRA:ITA gonna be fighing for top european nation, and probably 4th (maybe 3rd) overall, i think the hosts are gonna have a big games so it will be impressive if GB beat them

Italy will probably be 6th-8th some way behind battling with the like of Netherlands, Australia and Germany. I don’t see either of these four challenging the top 5. 

24 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I went with :JPN:ITA:MEX:GBR:IND

Only 3rd and 5th were confusing 

I'm expecting a strong performance from Mexican Archers maybe a gold and from rest sports 1 gold.

For 5th one :IRL have solid medal/gold medal chances in Rowing, Golf, Swimming, Taekwondo, Athletics maybe even Rugby.

:IND has lesser chances on paper which would revolve around a stronger women's squad accross sports. Most of them are however precision sports which is kinda makes us nervous considering how we have been so far. Then it's Badminton, Neeraj, Weightlifting and very important sport Wrestling.

Then is Boxing where both nations have strong favourites probably which would decide the battle.

Isn’t Irelands best chance in Gymnastics?

1. :JPN over :GER is a lock, probably the asians will even double up the German total medal tally

2. :NED over :ITA purely based on superstition/jinx :p

3. :SLO over :MEX is quite obvious, they have a lock gold with Garnbret and solid chances in slalom canoeing and athletics that should easily give them the edge

4. :GBR over :NED once again, for quite a while :GBR have been, are and will be the top European Nation, too many sports with solid gold medal chance to come home with a modest score

5. I took :IND over :IRL but I guess I highly underestimated the Irish medal chances in Gymnastics, Rowing, Boxing and Golf (I don't think they're gonna get any gold in athletics, swimming...medals, yes, gold, no -taekwondo is not even close, imho), meanwhile I might have overestimated India's chances in Shooting, Archery and maybe Wrestling and Boxing :mumble:

2 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Italy will probably be 6th-8th some way behind battling with the like of Netherlands, Australia and Germany. I don’t see either of these four challenging the top 5. 

I won't say best chance, but yes very good chance but I don't quite follow gymnastics while I think Rhys is a contender.

2 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

boxing and rowing, I'd say

gymnastics is always a guess, there's no safe prediction in that sport

31 minutes ago, phelps said:

boxing and rowing, I'd say

gymnastics is always a guess, there's no safe prediction in that sport

McCleneghan is a huge hope for Gold, but he's one handslip from disaster. If he absolutely hits, he medals, probably silver at least. If. But he can't, and won't try, to compete with Whitlock's demonic D scores. It's actually a classic battle of technique versus artistry.

now of course the Jordanian will get the gold, now I've said that!

Boxing and rowing are indeed safer ground - they won't all do it, but the odds are good at least one of 'em will.

And with Shaunie Miller-Uibo now not in the individual 400 in Paris, and No Sydney or Femke, the 400 has opened up in a very interesting way - she's a long shot, but Rhasidat is in the mix. Relays and Mageaan also represent minor medal shouts.

Wiffen was lackluster the last few meets, but I'm choosing to believe he's simply in deep hard yards training. We'll see.

and of course we'll always be in the mix, with some luck in the eventing and jumping with the horses, the sevens, or the golf if rory turns up with a 'head on 'im' as we say (i.e. he's angry and focused because of the US Open)

That may see like slim pickings to a big nation, but to wee Ireland, which doesn't focus its sporting instincts on Olympic sports (preferring horse racing, rugby 15s and Gaelic Games) these are times of heady optimisim!