website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Medal Count

16 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Very sad for Finland especially...

All the more so because in winter sports they are also much weaker than they used to be. Maybe instead of choosing cool prime ministers - like this attractive woman - they should choose competent people who will revive competitive sports in Finland?

Edited by copravolley

5 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

I didn't wish to go that far... Simply, there are probably not many amateur divers in China. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of sports being dominated by elite-only programs without any grass root to support it. Seems a bit factice to me (and it's not only about China).

Are there actually nations that have tons of hobby divers? Never heard of it, same is true for sports like modern pentathlon, track cycling or ski jumping.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

By the way if it stays 40-40 with golds (which is probably the case) what would have made the difference?

Maybe for

China: Imane Khalif box final (could they somehow challenge that?)

US: err, that high jump 

Objectively, the USA is better because they won many more medals, so in my opinion it's good that they take 1st place here, just as I think we are at a higher level than Korea, even though we won 1 gold less.

3 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Fishy as - something has to be changed, one nation winning everything isnt way to attract more athletes and so on. It collides with IOC basic principles.

Whole system must be changed to give an equal opportunities. Diving today is based only on a battle for bronze, nothing more. If that situation happens once, nothing strange.

If that situation repeats all the time, then something needs to be done or changed.

If the nation with by far the biggest talent pool also is the nation that cares the most about that sport, then it will be very difficult to break that dominance. Obviously the IOC could for example only allow one athlete per nation, which would make China more vulnerable, but that would be unfair to them. Maybe they can find an American billionaire that offers one million dollars to whoever beats the Chinese at the Olympics …

Personally I would like to see them reducing the number of attempts (only 4 instead of 6) to make results less predictable. Less attempts = More surprises.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

I give a credit to China because they are improving in every sport there is.

Breaking, rhythmic gymnastics, very consistent in canoe sprint, boxing...

I saw many videos of their kindergarten children exercising, they are all lean, their reflexes much faster than of western children.

One benefit extra of this olympic battle is that millions of Chinese children will be more healthy by practicing sports.

Unlike USA children and overall population who are obese.

What makes you think that China is improving in every sport, when they won a lot more medals in the past? I don’t see them improving in team sports or athletics for example. 

Edited by OlympicsFan

14 minutes ago, copravolley said:

All the more so because in winter sports they are also much weaker than they used to be. Maybe instead of choosing cool prime ministers - like this attractive woman - they should choose competent people who will revive competitive sports in Finland?

They should completely destroy their economy, like southern European countries, and then beg other European nations for billions of euros, so that they can invest in sports and keep the population sedated.

14 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Objectively, the USA is better because they won many more medals, so in my opinion it's good that they take 1st place here, just as I think we are at a higher level than Korea, even though we won 1 gold less.

Objectively the U.S. has more medals because they won more medals …

13 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Notable nations with no medals :(

:FIN (they finished 2nd in the medal table in Paris 1924)

:EST

:NGR

:BAH

At least Finland is very high up the world happiness ranking, even without Olympic medals.

25 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

What makes you think that China is improving in every sport, when they won a lot more medals in the past? I don’t see them improving in team sports or athletics for example. 

This is number of sports China participated in from 2000 until 2024:

2000 - 28, 

2004 - 28

2008 - 28

2012 - 23

2016 - 26

2020 - 30

2024 - 33

That's one of the reasons for my statement.