website statistics

Paris 2024 ideas thread Road to Paris 2024

Mkbw50

Good morning from :GER where I am treating myself to a bit of Euros football (sorry to any Scots in the club!)

This is one of the most active clubs on Totallympics, recognised by the Admin (Sindo) on messages from 10 March and 8 April.

This is very nice to see and I would like to give thanks to all of you, especially @Rafa Macielwho has been very diligently creating threads for various competitions.

I would like to ask everyone if there are any ideas for what the club should do for the Games themselves

To be honest, I am also completely fine to do absolutely nothing - the club is basically working fine as it is, and having one thread for the Games seems fine as :GBR action is basically still only requires one without needing one for every sport.

However, I'm open to any ideas to make it a more enjoyable experience for the community.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

I wanted to check with the members of the club who are going to be out there whether there was any appetite for an easy way to discuss ticket requirements etc. I have a few spare tickets that I doubt will resell on the platform, and instead of dragging my partner along to every single sport, I'd be happy to transfer to members of this group who perhaps weren't able to get the tickets they wanted.

This then extends to general meet ups / drinks etc while in Paris enjoying the games.

Thanks everyone for the active discussions on the forums, and especially those that provide the more detailed analyses than my lazy self is aware of!

Depending how things go, it might be better to have a thread for each day of the games rather than one big thread - as otherwise information etc can get lost quite easily in a super long thread.

Obviously that would only be necessary if we were very active, which we can't know in advance. But it is worth considering.

If most people are at the Games themselves they won't be online posting about them (I hope :d).

I'd been thinking about the same thing - how best to share GB performances for those of us not lucky enough to be able to go in person. 

My initial thought was to create a thread for each day with the first post highlighting the Team GB athletes who will be competing and potential medals. Most of that can be completed in advance of the opening day so will give the group a focus for discussion whilst we wait for the action to get underway. 

I won’t be in Paris but I’ll be watching along from home, and I’ll probably try to attend one of the fan zones on one of the days. 

I think a day by day thread will probably be the best, but a sport by sport one could also be good (maybe grouping some sports) to avoid spoilers. 

If anyone else is planning to watch on TV, which package would be the best to watch all the events? I got fed up with the BBC partway through Tokyo so I bought Eurosport, but they only showed a few sports meaning I still missed out on some events I wanted to watch.

If anyone wants any spreadsheets or trackers made for before the games, drop me a line and I’ll probably be able to help.

BBC/Eurosport are the only ways I know for the UK. Aside from that it is a VPN if you can get a good stream. Canada usually has pretty good coverage.

I'll be another watching through the TV/internet, getting up at silly hours in the morning. Mrs Failure has already been warned that my sleep pattern will be odd for the period of the Games!

Get Discovery+, or Eurosport (online). Eurosport will have a few channels. My plan is normally to have BBC on the TV and then Eurosport Player for other streams

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

1 hour ago, Mkbw50 said:

Get Discovery+, or Eurosport (online). Eurosport will have a few channels. My plan is normally to have BBC on the TV and then Eurosport Player for other streams

Sky subscribers also get Discovery+ free for 12 months as long as you create your account through Sky TV. 

if its like last time then BBC is almost obsolete in terms of games viewing now. As i understand it, they are only allowed to show any two sports at one time. one on bbc1 and second on bbc3/red button. 

discovery+ you will be able to watch EVERY session of EVERY sport whenever it is on, like you used to do with bbc for 2012 and 2016 games. 

The cube/presenters on discovery+ are usually much better than BBC, i will probably only watch BBC for Athletics and Swimming, everything else ESPECIALLY cycling (carlton kirby :hearts:) i will have on eurosport/discovery, it is honestly worth the sub, and then just cancel it

30 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

if its like last time then BBC is almost obsolete in terms of games viewing now. As i understand it, they are only allowed to show any two sports at one time. one on bbc1 and second on bbc3/red button. 

discovery+ you will be able to watch EVERY session of EVERY sport whenever it is on, like you used to do with bbc for 2012 and 2016 games. 

The cube/presenters on discovery+ are usually much better than BBC, i will probably only watch BBC for Athletics and Swimming, everything else ESPECIALLY cycling (carlton kirby :hearts:) i will have on eurosport/discovery, it is honestly worth the sub, and then just cancel it

THe basic discovery+/Eurosport sub that includes the Games is not expensive - its on offer at the minute for about 4£ a month. The TNT premium sub is about 30£ pm and, imho, wildly overpriced.