website statistics

Boxing at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Didn't search for it, so apologies if it's wrong (or not, it is simply why I'm asking it :p): did she indeed give up a fight while in tears earlier in her career? That would shed a bit of a different light on the whole thing...

Yup, that's right. She give up after 20 seconds (and two punch on face)

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This is definitely the worst part. Whatever one's opinion is, at the very least understand that it's an extremely difficult and complicated situation for everyone involved (Khelif and Lin, their opponents, people who have to make the rules, coaches and families of those involved, and so on).

Totally agree, those are so delicate matters that such choices can't be worse. I am amazed with some Italian reactions, even here today. Maybe Faramir would like to have all his life published and violated. I exactly meant this, this terrible part in public hating internet world. Someone didn't use her heart, brain or both. We are living in difficult world, it shouldnt had happened by olympic rival. The method, choice was terrible. Yes, i call it italian-like. My opinion. Too emotional. 

Edited by Pavlo

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

16 minutes ago, Faramir said:
  Hide contents

Maybe Faramir would like to have all his life published and violated. 

How is this comment even allowed? Where are admins? What kind of forum is this?

Now you are going to play a poor one here? What did i wrote about Italian style of reaction. Would like such situation? Algerian boxer has to face this drama. Oh c'mon, i am losing my time with you. Now you will pretend that you are attacked. Jesus..., calm down friend, i didn't attack you in one word. I am just trying to show you seriousness of this situation in her life. I assume no one would like it having in own life...

Edited by Pavlo

1 hour ago, Pavlo said:

Totally agree, those are so delicate matters that such choices can't be worse. I am amazed with some Italian reactions, even here today. Maybe Faramir would like to have all his life published and violated. I exactly meant this, this terrible part in public hating internet world. Someone didn't use her heart, brain or both. We are living in difficult world, it shouldnt had happened by olympic rival. The method, choice was terrible. Yes, i call it italian-like. My opinion. Too emotional. 

We'll see how she handles the :TUR Surmenali in the SF (I expect her to breeze through the Hungarian in QF).

If DSD boxers perform too well there will be a crackdown like after the 1-2-3 DSD 800m coalition in Rio 2016. Since it's boxing there is a physical harm involved which makes it more visible than middle-distance running.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

We'll see how she handles the :TUR Surmenali in the SF (I expect her to breeze through the Hungarian in QF).

If DSD boxers perform too well there will be a crackdown like after the 1-2-3 DSD 800m coalition in Rio 2016. Since it's boxing there is a physical harm involved which makes it more visible than middle-distance running.

We could discuss what kind of harm is worse. She was just borned that way, what wrong did she do? Nothing. Harmed noone. And probably her opponent strongly overreacted. On purpose i assume. We paid this price in 800m, but those cases were more controversive imo. I understand the problem but not this solution. How can we define being a woman...or a man? Only by some formal hormon levels. Quite brutal in a way. Algerian met all the conditions. Some Zambian football players also raise some doubts but formaly there are two states, 0 or 1. We could discuss which level of hormons should be ok but we will never find a good answer. Still those matters should be kept in a private sphere, not being pushed in that way to the limits. 

10 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

We all know it takes ages and CAS disallow anything that is not watertight. 

23 minutes ago, Pavlo said:

We could discuss what kind of harm is worse. She was just borned that way, what wrong did she do? Nothing. Harmed noone. And probably her opponent strongly overreacted. On purpose i assume. We paid this price in 800m, but those cases were more controversive imo. I understand the problem but not this solution. How can we define being a woman...or a man? Only by some formal hormon levels. Quite brutal in a way. Algerian met all the conditions. Some Zambian football players also raise some doubts but formaly there are two states, 0 or 1. We could discuss which level of hormons should be ok but we will never find a good answer. Still those matters should be kept in a private sphere, not being pushed in that way to the limits. 

It's not about doing right or wrong. The Semenya case was similar, a massive outrage she's done nothing wrong, she's being mistreated etc. at first and 10+ years on the storm is over and the world has moved on without her. The crackdown happened after Rio 2016 with more DSD locking out the medals. As with the Uganda & Burundi athletes or Christine Mboma in the sprints. I don't hear too much buzz for Mboma these days. I wonder why?

Just give it some time and the puzzles will fall in the same place as it did with middle distance running. The only difference would be if boxing is removed from OG wholesale. No need to overract to recency bias.

Zambia isn't winning any medals in women's football, that's the difference. When Banda retires Zambia will become meaningless in the sport. If Zambia beat USA in World Cup final and Banda would score four goals then you'd hear all about her in the mainstream media :p

Edited by Monzanator

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's not about doing right or wrong. The Semenya case was similar, a massive outrage she's done nothing wrong, she's being mistreated etc. at first and 10+ years on the storm is over and the world has moved on without her. The crackdown happened after Rio 2016 with more DSD locking out the medals. As with the Uganda & Burundi athletes or Christine Mboma in the sprints. I don't hear too much buzz for Mboma these days. I wonder why?

Just give it some time and the puzzles will fall in the same place as it did with middle distance running. The only difference would be if boxing is removed from OG wholesale. No need to overract to recency bias.

I can only guess, people are "visual". There are some obvious cases and on the border. Here? I really saw more man-like looking women. Especially from Africa, also Northern. DNA types. Mexican girl in judo. C'mon, people, we are different. When difference is small, not obvious...what can we say. This Panaman boxer, policewoman. Is also very strong, build a bit like a man (muscles i mean). Being a woman. Guys also look different, that shouldnt be a focus when not obvious. Trans people - no, there is my clear no. This is obvious. 

Edited by Pavlo