website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey IIHF Division I Group A World Championship 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)

As usual, defeat against Hungary. This year it was a defeat against Hungary and Slovenia, last year it was a defeat against Poland and Great Britain. Always the same pattern. When there is an important match against a good rival, we lose. Today we had a huge advantage in shots, but Hungary has the better goalkeeper. This makes a difference. Our goalkeeper is 19 years old and maybe one day he will be good, but he is not yet. In any case, I do not believe that the Italian team will advance to the Elite in the near future. You can't advance there just by beating Romania or Japan. I haven't seen such weak Hungary and Slovenia for a long time, but it was enough for the Italians. We are just weak. The last time we won a competitive match against Hungary was probably in 2011... That says something. Next year we will lose to Ukraine, which is making progress.

Just before the goal for Hungary - a great star: Salinitri did not shoot from 1 meter into the goal and it took its revenge. If we are to naturalize someone, let it be a class player who will score in such situations. Our naturalized players are simply weak and make no difference, so why do we need them?

Edited by copravolley

1 minute ago, lapaj said:

Weak Hungary as a good rival... :wacko:

This is a team bordering on Elite and 1st division. Same as Slovenia, UK and Poland. We haven't beaten a team like this since 2019. We haven't been able to beat Hungary in an important match for over a dozen years. We didn't deserve this promotion, because it takes more than beating Romania or Korea. I will only add that Russia and Belarus are excluded, and we are still stuck in the first division. Shame.

I don't understand how, with the Olympics at home in less than 2 years, you are unable to acquire a first-class player from the USA or Canada who will be able to score goals with decent effectiveness. Today: Italy- 39 shots: 2 goals, Hungary: 18 shots: 2 goals in regular time. No, comment.

Friday May 3rd, 2024 -

Round-Robin Day 4 Results (GMT +2)

12:30  :KOR South Korea  2 - 3  Romania :ROU

16:00  :SLO Slovenia  3 - 1  Japan :JPN

19:30  :ITA Italy  2 - 3OT  Hungary :HUN

Provisional Standing After Day 4:

1.  :SLO  9

2. :HUN  8

------------------

3. :ITA  6

4. :ROU  6

5. :JPN  4

------------------

6. :KOR  3

Another win for Romania and with a little luck we have a chance to qualify for the main division. Our goal was somehow not to be relegated, so we have already achieved more than the Romanian federation would have wanted.

3 minutes ago, IoNuTzZ said:

Another win for Romania and with a little luck we have a chance to qualify for the main division. Our goal was somehow not to be relegated, so we have already achieved more than the Romanian federation would have wanted.

Romania can be seen to have made great progress since previous years, which cannot be said about Italy. If Italy had made as much progress as Romania, they would now be sure of promotion to the Elite. Romania also deserves respect for their will to fight and not breaking down after the first 2 matches and heavy defeats.