website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey IIHF Division I Group A World Championship 2024

Totallympics

Congrats to Hungary.

Isn't a surprise that we are a brunch of losers, we deserve to stay in 2nd division.

The only sad things is that we'll compete at Olympics and we'll don't let a good team a chances to compete.

I was known that Hungary would win today. I don't remember anyone ever playing for us when they didn't have to. Hungary played tragically poorly here and was saved only by the goalkeeper. It's a shame for Italy that without Russia and Belarus we have to be stuck in a lower league. Last year we lost to Poland and Great Britain, now we lost to Slovenia and Hungary. Since 2019, we have not managed to win an important match against a serious team. We are missing 1-2 NHL stars who would make a difference in decisive moments, e.g. on the pitch. yesterday 41 shots on goal for Hungary 21 and still a defeat. Unfortunately, these players naturalized in our country are weak and do not make any difference. Basically 2 wasted years with Keenan and his staff. Now you have to wait another year to play Romania and Japan, and then lose the decisive match to Poland or Austria. So it will be business as usual. However, in Turin 2006 we had a much better team than now. 5-6 years ago we played better because we were able to advance to the Elite when the level was much higher. If we can't beat Hungary since 2011, what are we talking about? With all due respect, this isn't Sweden or Canada. 10-15 years ago we were at the level of France, and now where are they and where are we? They have players in the NHL and we have to take some naturalized average players.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Congrats to Hungary.

Isn't a surprise that we are a brunch of losers, we deserve to stay in 2nd division.

The only sad things is that we'll compete at Olympics and we'll don't let a good team a chances to compete.

Taking into account the miss of Russia and Belarus- 5 years ago we would have been fighting against relegation from this division, because instead of Korea and Japan, e.g. Great Britain, Poland or Austria would be playing here. Let's not forget this. In my opinion, we haven't been this weak for 30 years. And no 8-1 against Korea will change that... We should have scored one more goal against Hungary and that mattered. Now we can wait another year and lose again to someone like Hungary or Slovenia. I won't be surprised if next year we lose to Romania and Ukraine, because there is progress there, while we see stagnation. It used to be unthinkable to lose to Great Britain like last year.

Edited by copravolley

6 minutes ago, copravolley said:

Taking into account the miss of Russia and Belarus- 5 years ago we would have been fighting against relegation from this division, because instead of Korea and Japan, e.g. Great Britain, Poland or Austria would be playing here. Let's not forget this. In my opinion, we haven't been this weak for 30 years. And no 8-1 against Korea will change that... We should have scored one more goal against Hungary and that mattered. Now we can wait another year and lose again to someone like Hungary or Slovenia. I won't be surprised if next year we lose to Romania and Ukraine, because there is progress there, while we see stagnation. It used to be unthinkable to lose to Great Britain like last year.

The Italian hockey scene is pretty much dead and shows no signs of life. Nothing surprises me anymore. But that's what happens when arenas close down, and there's no long-term planning.

4 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

The Italian hockey scene is pretty much dead and shows no signs of life. Nothing surprises me anymore. But that's what happens when arenas close down, and there's no long-term planning.

From 2019 we knew we had the Olympics and since then, instead of moving forward, we have been playing worse and worse. What's the point? Look at France, Switzerland etc. Even 15 years ago we played on equal terms with them, and now we have no chance against them. I don't expect miracles, but winning against Great Britain or Slovenia without their few experienced players should be obvious. Hungary played here with a hopeless coach and a conflicted team, but they still beat us. And this is our case... When will we finally win against someone serious? 

8 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Overall, these Olympics in Cortina-Milano will be a huge failure. It is not even known whether they will complete the bobsleigh track on time... Comparing 2006 and 2026, you can see how we have fallen as a country, because at least then all the sport facilities were completed on time.

Round-Robin Final Standing

Nation
P
W(OTW)
L(OTL)
GF
GA
+/-
Pt.
HUN.gif Hungary
4(1)
1(0)
+7
SLO.gif Slovenia
3(0)
2(0)
+6
ITA.gif Italy
3(1)
2(1)
+10
ROU.gif Romania
3(0)
2(0)
JPN.gif Japan
1(0)
4(1)
KOR.gif South Korea
1(0)
4(0)

The following Nations have qualified for the Men's Ice Hockey IIHF World Championship 2025

• HUN.gif Hungary
  • SLO.gif Slovenia

The following Nations have qualified for the Men's Ice Hockey IIHF Division I Group A World Championship 2025

• ITA.gif Italy
  • JPN.gif Japan
  • ROU.gif Romania

The following Nation has been relegated to the Men's Ice Hockey IIHF Division I Group B World Championship 2025

• KOR.gif South Korea

To sum up, Italy did not deserve to be promoted to the Elite. They were unable to win against either Slovenia or Hungary. If they had won at least one of these matches, even after overtime, they would have advanced. Everything worked out perfectly for Italy: playing at home, failures of the main rivals against weaker teams, optimal preparation time for the tournament, etc. If we didn't advance in such a situation, we will never advance. Especially since I don't see any further plan here. I wonder what they will do with the Canadian coaches?