website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Just now, RussB said:

Let's be fair, my response was also to say agree to disagree. And yet you continued the argument. And still have not let it lie after I've tried to draw a line under it.  

I mean, if we are being fair, your response was to suggest that I was claiming that Tom was more favoured than Duncan.

And *then* you added agree to disagree. You continued the argument first, then tried to shut it down. If we're being fair.

Also, if we're talking about not letting it lie and trying to draw a line under it, what do you think my initial "agree to disagree" was an attempt to do?

Yes, I'm a dull man with time on my hands. But I'm a consistent dull man. And everything that you are (correctly) accusing me of, you are doing exactly the same. Just saying. :p

21 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I mean, if we are being fair, your response was to suggest that I was claiming that Tom was more favoured than Duncan.

And *then* you added agree to disagree. You continued the argument first, then tried to shut it down. If we're being fair.

Also, if we're talking about not letting it lie and trying to draw a line under it, what do you think my initial "agree to disagree" was an attempt to do?

Yes, I'm a dull man with time on my hands. But I'm a consistent dull man. And everything that you are (correctly) accusing me of, you are doing exactly the same. Just saying. :p

I will say your responses to my posts across threads and sports have been uniformly negative. Some fall under the reasonable bracket of debate (which these forums should encourage and is absolutely fine) whereas others, and I include this entire back and forth within this category, fall under the "splitting hairs for the sake of splitting hairs" class. It's honestly making me want to stop posting, unlike the enjoyable interactions with other members of this community (McEvoy, CB, Rafa) where there is disagreement ofc, but it's not disagreement for the sake of disagreement or to try and put another poster in their place. I have no idea what I have done personally to you to irk such responses, but the net result is tempting me to not bother contributing, which I imagine is the opposite to what the founders / admins / keen users of the team GB forums are trying to engender.

5 minutes ago, RussB said:

I will say your responses to my posts across threads and sports have been uniformly negative. Some fall under the reasonable bracket of debate (which these forums should encourage and is absolutely fine) whereas others, and I include this entire back and forth within this category, fall under the "splitting hairs for the sake of splitting hairs" class. It's honestly making me want to stop posting, unlike the enjoyable interactions with other members of this community (McEvoy, CB, Rafa) where there is disagreement ofc, but it's not disagreement for the sake of disagreement or to try and put another poster in their place. I have no idea what I have done personally to you to irk such responses, but the net result is tempting me to not bother contributing, which I imagine is the opposite to what the founders / admins / keen users of the team GB forums are trying to engender.

Personally my opinions have been difficult to interpret.

My tendency is to be too optimistic whilst realizing that I might be a little too hopeful for Team GB chances.

2 hours ago, RussB said:

So I have to defend myself here.

My initial comment in this portion of the thread was simply saying that both you and CB had missed Tom from your lists of possible medalists. Nothing more. There was no negativity there.

You responded defending why you had excluded him (fair enough) and I responded with why I think he shouldn't be excluded (also, I would argue fair enough). I don't class that as splitting hairs for hairs sake.

I don't believe that you are disagreeing for disagreeing's sake/trying to put me in my place and I'd hope that you would afford me the same courtesy in assessing my motives.

Any negativity that has come out in this discussion has been as a result of us both further defending our respective positions - which are at odds with each other obviously - and which has led to each of us simply digging in further, so to speak. Which, again, I do not dispute my part in. But I would say - and I mean this with all due respect - it takes two to tango. This was hardly a one sided discussion.

It would be a shame if you decided not to continue posting. I don't have to agree with someone's positions but that doesn't mean that I don't want to hear the opposing views to my own.

Edited by Epic Failure

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

Personally my opinions have been difficult to interpret.

My tendency is to be too optimistic whilst realizing that I might be a little too hopeful for Team GB chances.

I tend to be the same but in reverse :p. I'm naturally pessimistic but I tend to always look for the counter point. Which makes me become more optimistic. :d