website statistics

GB Athletics

3 minutes ago, RussB said:

I missed this entirely! they won gold by almost 3 minutes!

Technically, historically the Marathon and half Marathon cups have not ben counted as medals in the Championship medal tables but as stand alone events that happen to run co-terminous with the championships.

Entertainingly that rule appears to have been ignored on the official website for Italy's men, but not for GBR's women's!

13 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Technically, historically the Marathon and half Marathon cups have not ben counted as medals in the Championship medal tables but as stand alone events that happen to run co-terminous with the championships.

Entertainingly that rule appears to have been ignored on the official website for Italy's men, but not for GBR's women's!

Think they must count this time because otherwise various nations would not have sent such strong teams.

I'm not sure what has happened to Victoria O, that was hugely disappointing. The relay team needed her to be on 50s form :(

well done to Lavaia on the small PB, hopefully she can go mid 50s in the final.

Vicky O has looked relatively poor all season. The only potential silver lining is that she may be employing the same tactics that her sister used, which was expert at timing a season's efforts to get the best at the biggest champs. That's what we have to hope.

A day of highs and lows for GBR.

Dina - despite a dreadful start - back on top in Europe. Will be good for her confidence after a relatively tough couple of years. She may not be quite the athlete she was in 2019 but she's still one of Europe's best and deserved the chance to show it. Amy Hunt creditable although I still think 200m is her better event.

A fine bronze for Lizzie Bird, and in an Olympic Q to boot. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Charlie Dobson looked very relaxed for a 44.65 showing. But with both him and MHS I'm convinced injury related disaster is only a stride away, so I'm not going to get excited until the final is over.

Strong stuff in the half marathon.

Happy for Georgia Bird but hugely disappointed in/for Jemma Reekie - that was a championship opportunity that went begging. Katie Snowden also sub par. Likewise Giles.

Jake Norris will be disappointed in the final performance but overall a creditable performance in his first senior champs. Morgan Lake performed about as well as can be expected - she's just a step behind the top tier. But she's rarely actively bad.

Good from Laviai. Less good from Vicky.

Less said about the 200m guys the better.

There were a lot of really bad showings tonight. Not to pile on but Reekie should have been able to blitz that field off such a slow pace (which for some reason she was leading).

Dina was also not very impressive if we are to hold expectations of an Olympic individual medal but she did well to come through.

best performer of the day by far was Charlie. Think there is genuine hopes he can go very low 44s In the final. Which would put him in the mix for Paris. 

As much as I love Dina, she will have done well if she finals in the Olympics. Aside from Eugene in 2022 she hasn't really been a factor in global finals since Doha in 2019. I think if we're expecting individual medals from her that's putting unreasonable pressure on her at this stage in her career.

Jemma was leading because nobody else wanted to. She kept leaving the gap but nobody wanted to take the option up.

The more I think about it, the more we should credit Mageean more than anything. She is the class of the field in terms of pure 1500m running - her PB is 3 seconds quicker over 1500m than Jemma, and she's been working on her 800m this year (set a NR last month). She got her tactics spot on. It wasn't ever slow enough to be a complete 800m kickers race. And class won out.

What we do need to take into account is no one, literally no one will be peaking for these championships if they have serious olympic ambitions to medal, not too bothered about reekie  for this reason but she should have made podium

Edited by Olympicsnell