website statistics

Team GB medal hopes - Cycling Road to Paris 2024

On 2/24/2024 at 7:41 AM, RussB said:

After a second place finish in Brisbane, I’m doubling down on this being an outside medal chance for GBR. Great riding from Ross in changeable weather conditions 😃

One swallow does not make a summer... from 2nd yesterday to 23 today :d

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

One swallow does not make a summer... from 2nd yesterday to 23 today :d

Not due to lack of speed. Led at the first bend from a very wide draw and lost control on the outside when leading.

boom or bust type from what I’m seeing which is a great characteristic from someone who wants to sneak a shock medal. 

seems we are both in opposite camps. We shall see. 

Weird round 4 with Kye getting the win after so many crashed out.

14 minutes ago, RussB said:

Not due to lack of speed. Led at the first bend from a very wide draw and lost control on the outside when leading.

boom or bust type from what I’m seeing which is a great characteristic from someone who wants to sneak a shock medal. 

seems we are both in opposite camps. We shall see. 

Weird round 4 with Kye getting the win after so many crashed out.

I am just more reluctant to make medal predictions until I know who it on the team. 

On the upside, the performance of the GB guys this weekend should put them ahead of both :USA and :NED and in a position to get 2 individual riders. 

13 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I am just more reluctant to make medal predictions until I know who it on the team. 

On the upside, the performance of the GB guys this weekend should put them ahead of both :USA and :NED and in a position to get 2 individual riders. 

Does Hunt's U23 results count towards the rankings as well? If so we should be ahead of Colombia in the Women's for two spots. 

16 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Does Hunt's U23 results count towards the rankings as well? If so we should be ahead of Colombia in the Women's for two spots. 

Yeah Hutt's points count towards the ranking - it's Shriever, Emily Hutt and Sienna Harvey - but realistically at the moment it is just Shriever and Hutt who are active on the circuit and scoring points. 

By my calculations we've fallen further behind Colombia this weekend because both Pajon and Bolle Carrillo had decent results whereas neither Shriever or Hutt were really on their game.

19 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Yeah Hutt's points count towards the ranking - it's Shriever, Emily Hutt and Sienna Harvey - but realistically at the moment it is just Shriever and Hutt who are active on the circuit and scoring points. 

By my calculations we've fallen further behind Colombia this weekend because both Pajon and Bolle Carrillo had decent results whereas neither Shriever or Hutt were really on their game.

How many events are left till the 4th June, I know there's 2 world cups and a world championships but I'm unsure on whether the European Cups count towards the rankings. 

12 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

How many events are left till the 4th June, I know there's 2 world cups and a world championships but I'm unsure on whether the European Cups count towards the rankings. 

This isn't an exhaustive list of all the events that are scheduled before the qualifying window closes - there are other Class 1/Hors Class events in South America and in Asia but looking at historical results, the big names don't tend to compete in them.

So I think the calendar for the main contenders is going to look something like this:

2-Mar Vaucluse Provence: Sarrians, France (Class 1)

3-Mar Vaucluse Provence: Sarrians, France (Class 1)

9-Mar European Cup Round 1: Sarrians, France (Class 1)

10-Mar European Cup Round 2: Sarrians, France (Hors Class)

30-Mar European Cup Round 3: Zolder, Belgium (Class 1)

31-Mar European Cup Round 4: Zolder, Belgium (Hors Class)

4-Apr Olympic Test Event - NB: Not sure if this event will provide ranking points

13-Apr European Cup Round 5: Benatky nad Jizerou, Czechia (Class 1)

13-Apr Continental Championship - Americas

14-Apr European Cup Round 6: Benatky nad Jizerou, Czechia (Hors Class)

27-Apr World Cup Round 5: Oklahoma

28-Apr World Cup Round 6: Oklahoma

12-May World Championship

29-May Continental Championship - Asia

29-May Continental Championship - Europe

4-Jun Final Olympic Ranking

Does anyone have the latest standings in regards to the quotas for both men and women for Paris?

it feels like the men have the talent to have 2 spots but haven’t been able to put it all together across an individual meet yet, with Ross Kye and Paddy all racing at world cups.

it would be interesting to see what they need to achieve over the remaining qualification meets. 

1 minute ago, RussB said:

Does anyone have the latest standings in regards to the quotas for both men and women for Paris?

it feels like the men have the talent to have 2 spots but haven’t been able to put it all together across an individual meet yet, with Ross Kye and Paddy all racing at world cups.

it would be interesting to see what they need to achieve over the remaining qualification meets. 

I did a quick calculation on another thread - the men should have moved back into a top 5 position this week ahead of both US and NED but the women lost more ground to both AUS and COL and are currently in 6th place so would only get 1 rider.

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I did a quick calculation on another thread - the men should have moved back into a top 5 position this week ahead of both US and NED but the women lost more ground to both AUS and COL and are currently in 6th place so would only get 1 rider.

If I was being ultra objective, 2 men 1 woman would seem fair - GB have a lot of good men, and one brilliant woman. The woman may be the best (50/50) shout for racing gold, but several of the men are medal possible, whereas Beth is about it at the moment.

i noticed over the weekend Cat Ferguson picking up a national Track medal - as you do in between snagging age grade medals on CX, MTB and Road.... In the understdable excitement over generational talents like Pidcock, Backstedt and Tarling, I hope we don't take our eye off Ferguson coming through