website statistics

GB Cycling 2024

2 minutes ago, EddieW1 said:

Trust me I don’t deny it, he is a huge talent! But you can’t select someone on power numbers alone when they don’t have the track results to prove it translates to the paces the A squad have consistently been hitting on multiple occasions now

i have no doubt he’ll be there in LA 2028 if he wants to be 

I’d agree he would’ve been a great selection for the madison though, he looked super strong in that event in Australia - Vernon isn’t eligible to ride madison though as he hasn’t ridden it in any qualification events 

Ok now I’m really confused about the Madison. if vernon can’t go, who is the duo going to be? Hayter will be doing so much if they want him to do the Madison and the Omnium. Feels like we have kind of just left it as an afterthought.

this is why I’m baffled about the Tarling move, he could have been your number 5 in the TP if you really didn’t think he makes the team faster, he could ride in the rounds and not the final, then ride the Madison? Unless im missing something..

1 minute ago, RussB said:

Ok now I’m really confused about the Madison. if vernon can’t go, who is the duo going to be? Hayter will be doing so much if they want him to do the Madison and the Omnium. Feels like we have kind of just left it as an afterthought.

this is why I’m baffled about the Tarling move, he could have been your number 5 in the TP if you really didn’t think he makes the team faster, he could ride in the rounds and not the final, then ride the Madison? Unless im missing something..

I’m guessing it will be Hayter and Wood as those are the only 2 who have ridden together in the past and have done madison recently 

I agree though tarling would’ve been a great selection option here - I guess we will find out in a few weeks 

13 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

MvdP has never been that big on MTB, he's more into cyclo-cross.

My personal theory is that he and TP have sat down in recent years and agreed that they won't really cross each other too much - TP dabbles in CC but only slightly. Whereas MvdP takes the opposite approach. Works for both of them in that they get to dominate a discipline more easily.

Tarling finished 6th in Dwars door Vlaanderen earlier this year, so it is possible that they believes he has a realistic shot in this as well and isn't just there to work for the team. At his age, you just never know.

Agree with the comparison. McdP is going to win a few road world titles, maybe 1 MTB...but he can win CX titles all the live long day. He's also always gonna be a threat on the cobbles. Eventually maybe a crack at GC.

Pidcock is a MTB machine, his lighter frame and descent bravery gives him a s real edge even over speialists. He has one CX title from the year MvdP missed but its not his domain, MTB is. He's gonna be competitive on Ardennes classics and on Strade bianche, and while he has GC ambitions, I think attacks on super hilly stages - especially old fashioned  ones with descents at the end, is likely his area - he MIGHT even be competitive in San Remo and Lombardia because of the late fast descent in both races. I'd love him to complete the age grade Roubaix set, but I'm not sure that's realistic.

Pogecar, of course, will continue to win what he wants, when he wants, as he becomes the first rider since Hinault to make a genuine attempt to rival Merckx..

2 hours ago, EddieW1 said:

I’d agree he would’ve been a great selection for the madison though, he looked super strong in that event in Australia - Vernon isn’t eligible to ride madison though as he hasn’t ridden it in any qualification events 

Not sure on this. The athlete eligibility only says that the rider has to have gained at least 10 points in a qualifying event counting towards the Olympic Ranking - it doesn't specify the requirement applies to each event they are entered for. I'm sure a good lawyer could make an effective argument :d

20 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Not sure on this. The athlete eligibility only says that the rider has to have gained at least 10 points in a qualifying event counting towards the Olympic Ranking - it doesn't specify the requirement applies to each event they are entered for. I'm sure a good lawyer could make an effective argument :d

This is what I had assumed was the case, it hadn’t even crossed my mind that Vernon wouldn’t be eligible. Do we

know when it’s declared which athlete’s are entered into which events?

As explained earlier, I can see a stronger argument for Neah riding all 3 events given the schedule looks kinder on the female side.