website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games Paris 2024

Josh

On 9/1/2024 at 9:18 PM, MHSN said:

there are other Iranians in Paralympics, paid to compete for Turkiye but only this one completely changed his name, guess why ? probably to not get identified. :d didn't work well.

I found another one.

Roman Moustopoulos represented Greece in Judo at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Now he competed for Turkiye as Vedat Albayrak.

So many reigning Olympic champions are participating in these Paralympic Games, who knew. At least according to the Paralympic channel's own commentator teams :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 9/1/2024 at 5:48 PM, MHSN said:

something interesting for you guys

this guy who won a gold medal yesterday and will probably win another one in next few days

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024-paralympics/athlete/serkan-yildirim_2000715

is in fact the same person as this guy

https://worldathletics.org/athletes/islamic-republic-of-iran/sajjad-hashemiahangari-14422407

and he is not blind,  he is a national record holder in Iran in 400m and 2012 Olympian

I'm no doctor but I highly doubt he is qualified to participate in Paralympics in T12 class. he probably has a better eyesight than some of us here.

there are other Iranians in Paralympics, paid to compete for Turkiye but only this one completely changed his name, guess why ? probably to not get identified. :d didn't work well.

I assume by now it's been mentioned, but I hadn't come across this so I thought I'd mention it to be sure: that 100m gold is a DQ now :p 

I'm curious about the behind the scenes there though. He would of course not be the first able-bodied athlete who loses a limb, eyesight or something and has to switch to para sports (I mean, I'm living with an athlete who in a matter of weeks lost half the vision in one of her eyes this year due to a parasite, which may come back at any moment in life and might force a switch to para sports if things get bad, so I can kind of imagine how fast things can in fact go in terms of losing abilities).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serkan_Yıldırım

Seems like the DQ is more about the process and proper procedures not having yet been followed than him beeing deemed an actual fraud by the IPC?

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Why do some of the tricycle riders have someone behind them on a regular bike, while others do not? :p