website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

Awesome ippon for Mollaei :bowdown: 

Pretty sure I've asked this 100 times, but are Egyptian athletes allowed to fight against those from Israel? (which is the semi now)

Asking since of course I know about Iran and earlier this tournament I saw Algeria has the same thing.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Awesome ippon for Mollaei :bowdown: 

Pretty sure I've asked this 100 times, but are Egyptian athletes allowed to fight against those from Israel? (which is the semi now)

Asking since of course I know about Iran and earlier this tournament I saw Algeria has the same thing.

I don't know if the athlete himself likes it or not, but Egypt don't have such policy. they fought against Israel before. even though for example one of them didn't shake hand !

Mollaei's SF will be before Muki, I can guess he will lose the SF, it will be risky to win and wait for the Egyptian to do something, his chance looks less than 10% to me. and Mollaei won't try for bronze too, he won't attend the medal ceremony with Israel being the gold medalist.

in situations like this I always stupidly hoped for a miraculous change of policy in the last minute but now I'm old enough to know it's not going to happen. I feel really sorry for Mollaei :cry::cry:

Edited by MHSN

Well this is annoying. Mollaei has bout 127 and Muki has 128, which indeed suggests Mollaei goes first, but Muki's bout is listed first.

rFXRpmZ.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Well this is annoying. Mollaei has bout 127 and Muki has 128, which indeed suggests Mollaei goes first, but Muki's bout is listed first.

rFXRpmZ.png

this is weird but even for the women's semifinal they revised the order. :dunno: but still it doesn't change much unless Abdelaal surprises everybody. I really don't see that happening. Casse himself is pretty good though.

you asked the question about Egypt. I know for sure the following countries don't face Israel anywhere, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Algeria and Kuwait. I know Saudi Arabia and Bahrain had the same policy even few months ago, I don't know where they stand right now, (UAE is not in the list anymore, their girl fought Israel in this tournament and obviously lost it) I know Egypt and Jordan don't have this policy. but I have no idea about other middle eastern countries, but I assume most of them still don't face Israeli athletes. I think we can find at least 10 more countries with the same policy. probably Tunisia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, maybe even Libya, Sudan, Bangladesh. but you rarely see those countries in non-continental competitions, so we never know.

Just now, MHSN said:

this is weird but even for the women's semifinal they revised the order. :dunno: but still it doesn't change much unless Abdelaal surprises everybody. I really don't see that happening. Casse himself is pretty good though.

you asked the question about Egypt. I know for sure the following countries don't face Israel anywhere, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Algeria and Kuwait. I know Saudi Arabia and Bahrain had the same policy even few months ago, I don't know where they stand right now, (UAE is not in the list anymore, their girl fought Israel in this tournament and obviously lost it) I know Egypt and Jordan don't have this policy. but I have no idea about other middle eastern countries, but I assume most of them still don't face Israeli athletes. I think we can find at least 10 more countries with the same policy. probably Tunisia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, maybe even Libya, Sudan, Bangladesh. but you rarely see those countries in non-continental competitions, so we never know.

I believe I saw an athlete from Afghanistan compete against an Israeli a few days ago, but representing IJF.

Good for the UAE girl by the way. Sure, she lost, but at least she competed against an Israeli and that's a step in it's own right.

Edited by heywoodu

Just now, heywoodu said:

I believe I saw an athlete from Afghanistan compete against an Israeli a few days ago, but representing IJF.

Good for the UAE girl by the way. Sure, she lost, but at least she competed against an Israeli and that's a step in it's own right.

Afghanistan is not suspended or anything, there are Afghan athletes here representing Afghanistan, I don't know which athlete you are talking about but that's probably a refugee or something. of course they can do whatever they want. specially if IJF sponsors them to participate here they don't want to upset IJF even if they personally don't like Israel.

today's early action recap...

women's -63kg semifinals

:FRA Clarisse Agbegnenou vs :NED Juul Franssen
:SLO Tina Trstenjak vs :JPN Miku Tashiro

repechage round

:TPE Liao Yu-Jung vs :GER Martyna Trajdos (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Trstenjak vs Tashiru fight)
:MGL Gankhaich Bold vs :NED Sanne Vermeer  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Agbegnenou vs Franssen fight)

men's -81kg semifinals

:IRI Saeid Mollaei vs :BEL Matthias Casse
:ISR Sagi Muki vs :EGY Mohamed Abdelaal

repechage round

:CAN Antoine Valois-Fortier vs :GER Dominic Ressel (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Muki vs Abdelaal fight)
:UZB Sharofiddin Boltaboev vs :GEO Luka Maisuradze  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Mollaei vs Casse fight)

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

rFXRpmZ.png

you should look at the tournament bracket...

they always follow the order from top to bottom of that to fill the contest list...:evil:

no.1 seed always have the advantage of going first (so to have a few minutes more of recovery time)...;)

unfortunately, this time the advantage turns out to be a disadvantage...

57 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Tunisian top fencers did compete against Israelis this season so I guess that at least their top athletes are free to do what they want without being thrown out of the team (I remember it made the news at the 2011 Wch in Italy, with Besbes "only" losing on purpose her pool match against an Israeli despite being ordered by the Tunisian fencing federation ordered to retire).

I don't think there is another situation comparable to Mollaei-Muki over the last years (involving two of the top athletes/team in their event, multiple times in decisive matches of high level competitions)

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

you should look at the tournament bracket...

they always follow the order from top to bottom of that to fill the contest list...:evil:

no.1 seed always have the advantage of going first (so to have a few minutes more of recovery time)...;)

Nope, see Deguchi yesterday...her semifinal was the first despite being in the bottom half of the bracket.