website statistics

Fencing 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

31 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Unsurprisingly, none are Hungarian...

Only two fencers from Italy. 15 from France. None from South Korea.

So most of these don't come from the top fencing nations.

45 from Poland, 31 from Germany, 46 from Ukraine. The list is padded with athletes from countries you would expect. They don't hold enough power in FIE, which means that FIE won't care.  

Edited by Vektor

8 hours ago, Vektor said:

Unsurprisingly, none are Hungarian...

Only two fencers from Italy. 15 from France. None from South Korea.

So most of these don't come from the top fencing nations.

45 from Poland, 31 from Germany, 46 from Ukraine. The list is padded with athletes from countries you would expect. They don't hold enough power in FIE, which means that FIE won't care.  

wow,South Korea doesn't care,i'm stunned[almost like they would like to compete against the best,no matter where they come from],it's almost like this is almost entirely a European and american problem and the rest of the world doesn't have to give a fuck,who would of known?

30 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

wow,South Korea doesn't care,i'm stunned[almost like they would like to compete against the best,no matter where they come from],it's almost like this is almost entirely a European and american problem and the rest of the world doesn't have to give a fuck,who would of known?

I mean, if Europeans care, especially in such an Europe-centric sport, is a big deal. The rest of the world doesn't matter as much as Europe for fencing. Italy and France will decide this, the sport literally can't exist if they would join Germany, Poland and Sweden and start to cancel events where Russians compete. 

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I mean, if Europeans care, especially in such an Europe-centric sport, is a big deal. The rest of the world doesn't matter as much as Europe for fencing. Italy and France will decide this, the sport literally can't exist if they would join Germany, Poland and Sweden and start to cancel events where Russians compete. 

And from the looks of things they don't care,so oh well

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

I think Italy is too close to Alisher Usmanov (our former president Giorgio Scarso is his loyal "backup") to vote against any FIE decision in mass.

Of course I expected Samele to put his signature on that document as he's Olga Kharlan's fiancèe, but actually I'm surprised to see Erica Cipressa on that list (unless she also has Ukranian connections I'm not aware of).

Well, now that it seems Russians can't compete in team events at the Games, their inclusion in the fencing Olympic qualification seems quite stupid. I mean, this way they will have an impact on the qualification by eliminating eligible teams at the events, but they won't actually be eligible? Like, they will earn WR points in the team events, right @phelps? So they will take points from others, while at the same time won't be eligible? What a mess. 

Those are recommendations from the IOC to the IFs. As they’ve left participation up to each individual IF for the time being, Russian athletes are probably eligible to qualify in the team events if allowed by the FIE.

However, the IOC also still reserves the right to decide if, and perhaps how, Russian and Belarusian athletes will compete at the Olympics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Those are recommendations from the IOC to the IFs. As they’ve left participation up to each individual IF for the time being, Russian athletes are probably eligible to qualify in the team events if allowed by the FIE.

However, the IOC also still reserves the right to decide if, and perhaps how, Russian and Belarusian athletes will compete at the Olympics.

So the Russians can win team quotas but they won't be able to participate in those team events. I mean, to me it seems quite clear that they won't be allowed to compete as a team in any sport at the Olympic Games. These are "recommendations", but it would be very strange if it wouldn't apply for the Games themselves.