website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker Road to Paris 2024

Did I read that Cillín Greene said he was skipping the European Championships to focus on the Olympics or did that really happen, was he injured? Seems absolutely mental if true.

2 hours ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Are we now past the point at which there could be any further surprise selections in sports we haven't qualified in yet - I'm thinking the likes of weightlifting and shooting?

Definitely no shot of any new sports 

20 minutes ago, duineeile said:

Did I read that Cillín Greene said he was skipping the European Championships to focus on the Olympics or did that really happen, was he injured? Seems absolutely mental if true.

He said he was going to give himself the best opportunity of getting to the Olympics so went training instead of the Europeans. He’s 4th on the 400m list this year and that doesn’t include Barr so he’d have had to have an incredible run to get in

O’Donnell gambled on missing the world relays and it worked for him

2 hours ago, Oldira said:

Would i be right in thinking one or two of those wont get a run in Paris?

Most likely yes, I wouldn't read too much into the amount of runners named, they were always going to fill up any vacant spots they had. It doesn't mean they'll all run in heats, but the ones that do run always talk about the assistance they get from the wider team so good to have them there and competing for any opening that might come their way.

I think Adeleke will definitely run the women's relay final if we're in it and she's fit. No reason not to at that point as the individual has been an gone by then. The big question is whether she'd run the mixed final if we get through. I think Mawdsley will run everything as the relays are her only medal shots and probably her only shots at a final too. We'll need her badly in the two relay heats as Adeleke definitely won't be running those.

2 hours ago, dodge said:

It’ll be all about timing for the women’s. Hopefully Adeleke will be in the individual final but she’ll be the only one so women’s team should include Mawdsley for the heats 

My instinct is that mixed heat is Mawdsley and Becker. Adeleke replaces Becker if they make it

womens heat is Becker, Mawdsley, Healy and Cadden/McGrory. Adeleke comes in for the final if they make it 

I wouldn't quibble with that. Decent chance they make the Mixed final without Adeleke - with only 16 teams, and some teams not putting out their top guns, has to be possible - if they make it, Adeleke gives them a three and a half second upgrade, right out the gat, which hopefully puts them somewhere in the mix.

women's 4 x 4 is more a case of, it's great to be here, enjoy the experience - though if the somehow wangle a final without Adeleke (tall order) - a Healy, Adeleke, Becker, Maudsley line up is not awful by any stretch, and would embarrass nobody.

In truth, I have a sneaky feeling the GBR women's 4 might do something - I think their depth is underestimated.

FWIW they’ve listed Raftery as part of the squad. This makes sense now as I wasn’t sure why they had 4 extra women but one is a travelling reserve 

I'm slightly confused in terms of how they've listed them but presumably there's a reason. Raftery is listed as a travelling reserve but on the face of it he probably has more chance of actually making an appearance in a race than Rachel McCann, even though she's not listed as a reserve. He would only need one person to drop out, whereas she would need a few to. On a separate note Harrison has fallen down the pecking order quite a bit in the last 12 months.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dodge said:

FWIW they’ve listed Raftery as part of the squad. This makes sense now as I wasn’t sure why they had 4 extra women but one is a travelling reserve 

It looks like there are 3 traveling reserves in total (Jack Raftery and 2 women, would imagine it is McGrory and McCann).

Edit: Nevermind, I guess they are entering 2 of Cadden, McGrory and McCann as our 2 Mixed relay quota athetes and one will be traveling reserve. Still confused though why they listed all 7 women as part of the women's 4x400m relay as only 5 can be listed and 3 of those must be our individual athletes. So would guess the 5 women would be Adeleke, Mawdsley, Becker, Healy and Cadden. I see many nations doing the same though listing up to 7 so I'm guessing they don't need to specify right now and can just list them as part of a relay pool.

Edited by OlympicIRL