website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Brazil and Liechtenstein qualifying in three out of four events, I'm not entirely sure if that says something about Brazil's and Liechtenstein's youth program or the general strength of the Omega Youth Series....I guess both, a little :p 

Liechtenstein has put legitimate funding into their program. They recently purchased a push track that can be set up anywhere with a enough room. They’ve been trying to build a program because I think it’s a sport where they think they could see some success. Brazil has a good program, there’s just not a lot of interest, and because of how the Youth Series works their ranked higher than some more traditional countries. Overall, every NOC that attempted to get a quota should get one. Really it just comes down to there was enough quotas to make everyone happy, and some NOCs just don’t want to fund a trip to the YOG.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, intoronto said:

:AUS:SWE:SLO all declined women's short track quotas. They will remain unused sadly.

:LUX:SRB:SLO all declined men's quotas. Replaced with :BUL :SGP and :CRO 

Damn :LUX had a great men’s skater, but I fear he missed the age deadline. His sister could still be a medal threat. :SLO seems to have a grudge against speed skating. Very happy for :BUL because they were screwed out of that quota original (Swiss beat them on the host quota requirement).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Damn :LUX had a great men’s skater, but I fear he missed the age deadline. 

How did that happen, his birthday suddenly came three months too early or what?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 24/11/2019 at 01:13, heywoodu said:

How did that happen, his birthday suddenly came three months too early or what?

Must be injured or something then? If it’s the kid I was thinking of, he would have been an odds on favorite for a medal.

1 hour ago, dcro said:

It's awkward when you say "kid".

I’ve been an adult for over a year now, so I don’t think so. It’s weird that you don’t refer to Olympic athletes as “kid” given your old age :p

15 minutes ago, intoronto said:

3 more stan countries received quotas

:KGZ  :PAK:UZB    

Meaning only :AFG are the only ones without one. 

What sport? Afghanistan has an opportunity, but their skiers will need to improve.