website statistics

Pacific Mini Games 2022

Totallympics

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Monzanator said:

Why have two Pacific Games to begin with? Other than trying to block off Australia & New Zealand from sweeping 98% of the medals? :p

I believe part of the reasoning, at least from what I’ve read, is to give smaller countries/territories at chance to host the event. The Pacific Mini Games have been held in :COK:NFK:WLF:PLW:ASA:NMI, which have smaller populations (and in some cases very limited land mass), compared to places the Pacific Games have been held :FIJ:PNG:PYF:SAM:NCL:PNG

:NZL isn’t sending a delegation this year, while :AUS is only allowed to compete in weightlifting and athletics I believe. Both countries were only recently allowed to start sending athletes to the Games on a limited basis.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

From a press release sent out by NMPMG2022.

The Pacific Mini Games Organizing Committee is proud to announce the Northern Marianas Pacific Mini Games 2022 will be broadcasted live on the Pacific Mini Games YouTube channel.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

A little bit of preliminary action yesterday and today before the opening ceremony. There are livestreams available, but the quality could be improved. Still, nice to see local organizers trying.

Opening ceremony was nice. I’m a bit bummed the livestream wasn’t more stable as the cultural segment looked fun. The drone show at the end was a nice touch :yes

:PNG won the first gold medal of the Games in women’s team tennis. :NMI won their first gold on the men’s side.