website statistics

Time Limit For Competitor To Leave Gate?

DerbyDad

Greetings from a new member. 

Some friends and I were discussing "sports without clocks" and someone mentioned Ski Jumping. That made me curious.

I understand that the jump itself is scored on distance and style, with some "environmental adjustments" tossed in. My question relates to the time that the competitor is allowed to spend in the gate. Saying that there is no clock in Ski Jumping, implies that the competitor could slide out onto the gate and sit there for hours if they choose. I'm assume that that is not the case.

IOW, while tennis and disc golf technically don't have a "game clock" they both have a time limit that dictates when a competitor must take a specific action. Serve, throw, etc. Does Ski Jumping have a similar "gate time" limit?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, DerbyDad said:

Saying that there is no clock in Ski Jumping, implies that the competitor could slide out onto the gate and sit there for hours if they choose.

That is not really true, The athletes have a limited time during which they have to go down. 40 seconds during which the green light is on, During that period the coach has to send the jumper to execute his/her jump, after the 40 seconds passed the green light changes to red and the jumper must leave the bench.

Welcome! :d

There is indeed a clock in ski jumping. If you really want to know the details of the clock in ski jumping, you can look at section 415.4 of the International Competition Rules as published in the FIS website. :evil:

https://assets.fis-ski.com/image/upload/v1639755981/fis-prod/assets/ICR_Ski_Jumping_2022_clean.pdf

8 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Welcome! :d

There is indeed a clock in ski jumping. If you really want to know the details of the clock in ski jumping, you can look at section 415.4 of the International Competition Rules as published in the FIS website. :evil:

https://assets.fis-ski.com/image/upload/v1639755981/fis-prod/assets/ICR_Ski_Jumping_2022_clean.pdf

That is what I looking for! I knew that there had to be a some type of clock. Thanks for the link.