Bronze Medal Match:

Italy b. South Korea 45-35

Gold Medal Match:

USA b. France 45-34

Here is the Full Final Ranking (and Results) from Today's competition:

http://fie.org/competitions/2019/761/results/rank

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, Dunadan said:

2nd place in Padua for 40 yo old Aldo Montano. Surely the oldest man to get a podium in individual sabre in this century.

2 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Luigi Tarantino was 39 when winning bronze in 2011 WC. Close :)

it's not this Century, but :HUN Aladàr Gerevich and :HUN Pal Kovacs were 50 and 48 respecitively when they won the team Gold at the Rome 1960 Olympics...:yikes:

and it's this Century, but it's it's not men's Sabre...however, :ITA Valentina Vezzali won the Silver medal at the Team World Champs in 2016, when she was already 42 years young...

and I could go on for quite a while (for instance, :HUN Geza Imre won Rio 2016 Silver medal in the men's epee also at the age of 42 - actually, 41 years and 8 months, to be precise), but I'd rather stop here...

Fencing is a sport where a talented guy can start winning very early, but it also allows big veterans to be able to get their honors, too...:evil:;)

it's very democratic...let's say that...:d

Women's Individual Sabre (Athens, GRE)

Final Results

Gold: :RUS Sofia Pozdniakova

Silver: :UKR Olga Kharlan

Bronze: :KOR Kim Ji Yeon & :HUN Lisa Pusztai

Semifinals:

Pozdniakova b. Kim 15-11

Kharlan b. Pusztai 15-5

Gold Medal Match:

Pozdniakova b. Kharlan 15-10

http://fie.org/competitions/2019/469/results/rank

Men's Individual Sabre (Padua, ITA)

Final Results

Gold: :ITA Luca Curatoli

Silver: :ITA Aldo Montano

Bronze: :GER Max Hartung & :GER Benedikt Wagner

Semifinals:

Curatoli b. Wagner 15-12

Montano b. Hartung 15-10

Gold Medal Match:

Curatoli b. Montano 15-13

http://fie.org/competitions/2019/156/results/rank

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

it's not this Century, but :HUN Aladàr Gerevich and :HUN Pal Kovacs were 50 and 48 respecitively when they won the team Gold at the Rome 1960 Olympics...:yikes:

and it's this Century, but it's it's not men's Sabre...however, :ITA Valentina Vezzali won the Silver medal at the Team World Champs in 2016, when she was already 42 years young...

and I could go on for quite a while (for instance, :HUN Geza Imre won Rio 2016 Silver medal in the men's epee also at the age of 42 - actually, 41 years and 8 months, to be precise), but I'd rather stop here...

Fencing is a sport where a talented guy can start winning very early, but it also allows big veterans to be able to get their honors, too...:evil:;)

That's why I said "individual sabre" ;) (the weapon in which it's most surprising to see a 40 yo at the top)...and "this century", mainly because on FIE site there are complete results (including all events in the World Cup circuit) since 2002...then they scanned magazines with some results from the 90s but before that it's quite difficult to find them.

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

I didnt consider women but somehow i recall some of the medalists could be 35+.

And i am glad that Aldo won a medal. That means he will try Tokyo?

12 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

I didnt consider women but somehow i recall some of the medalists could be 35+.

And i am glad that Aldo won a medal. That means he will try Tokyo?

who knows? probably, yes...but they would be crazy (or the team would be such a disaster) still to think about him as a possible starter for Italy in Tokyo...

now we have an established group with Luca Curatoli, Luigi Samele and Enrico Berrè (with the sub-23 European champion from last year, Dario Cavaliere, as the first reserve, waiting for the real raising star, Matteo Neri, who soon is going to break out also among the seniors, after having swept all the youth classes in these last few years)...

I don't think they're going to change that so easily in the competitions that really matter...

Women's Team Sabre (Athens, GRE)

Final Results

Gold: :FRA France

Silver: :RUS Russia

Bronze: :ITA Italy

Semifinals:

Russia b. Italy 45-39

France b. USA 45-34

Bronze Medal Match:

Italy b. USA 45-42

Gold Medal Match:

France b. Russia 45-32