website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2016

On 4/5/2016 at 3:13 PM, dcro said:

Antarctica wins the first WINTERFEST Annual Contest, not without controversies

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Antarctica.svg/300px-Antarctica.svg.png

After winning the inaugural WINTERFEST last year, Antarctica was once again the winner. Although, unlike the last year's WINTERFEST when Antarctica won by a whopping 94 points margin, the 2016 WINAC (short for WINTERFEST Annual Contest) was a much tighter affair. The song contest was held once again in Antarctica on April 1st. Apparently, the idea of WINTERFEST contests is to always have Antarctica as the host. Antarctica's representatives, Antarctica Clear-ice Revival, charmed the crowd with their new hit "Have you ever seen the snow?" and were awarded 147 points from 20 nations competing. Antarctica's win though came out as a quite of a surprise considering that coming into the last two votes they were 22 points behind leading Mongolia.

Second last to vote was the jury from Lapland. Voting in general was going very smoothly, but just before Lapland's votes the power went down what caused a break of about 15 minutes. Lapland decided to give the hosts 12 points while Mongolia didn't get any, what was quite surprising considering that each national jury before Lapland gave points to Mongolia.

Incidentally, Mongolia was the last to show their votes. But, remember, unlike at the TISC contests, the national juries are allowed to vote for themselves at WINTERFEST contests. Keeping that in mind, Mongolia's win still seemed quite certain as they only needed two points to secure the win. But, the unthinkable happened. Mongolia decided to give just 1 point to themselves and 12 points to Antarctica and therefore Antarctica remained undefeated at the WINTERFEST contests. The announcement of Mongolia's votes was very hard to watch for the home cheering crowd, but after it become apparent that Antarctica is the new-old winner there was a huge roar.

Despite this very tight win, the circumstances were quite controversial to say the least. Firstly, it's quite odd that Mongolia gave itself just 1 point. 15 out of 20 national juries gave at least 8 points or more to their own songs. 4 national juries (Jan Mayen, Sandwich Islands, Greenland and Luxembourg) were more fair-play orientated as they refused to give any points to themselves. Moreover, all of them announced that they won't be giving any points to themselves before the contest even started. That's why the fact that Mongolia gave only 1 point to themselves is quite suspicious since the trend was to either give yourself a lot of points or zero points. Secondly, there was another unexpected break just before the last votes as the power went down again! Lightning did struck twice in the same spot, and just before the most crucial votes. But, what happens on Antarctica, stays on Antarctica, right?

However, despite these inconsistencies, the winner's trophy remains in Antarctica. In the post-contest interview, Antarctic participants said that they were quite confident of victory, even before the last votes.

20 Nations and Territories competed in this, the first edition of the WINAC (and the second edition of the WINTERFEST song contests). Though, some reports are stating that 23 nations were expected to compete. Two of them were kicked out for not paying the entry fee while Liberia withdrew after some conflict with the organizers. Apparently, Liberia was listed as "Library" on the entry list, what seemed to be a typing mistake. However, Liberia's multiple requests for correcting the name were rejected by Antarctic organizers. Liberia withdrew after that. In a post-contest interview, Antarctic organizers didn't really address that issue, all they said was "We know the grammar".

Antarctic organizers also expressed their "disappointment" and "disbelief" because none of the TISC nations decided to join WINAC after Totallympics temporarily went down in February.

The final results were as follows:

Hide contents

Antarctica (147 points)
Mongolia (146 points)
Novaya Zemelya (114 points)
Sandwich Islands (100 points)

Iceland (99 points)
Jan Mayen (99 points)

Alaska (85 points)

Greenland (76 points)

Swaziland (73 points)

Tristan da Cunha (69 points)

Austria (57 points)

Peter I Island (41 points)

Lapland (40 points)

South Georgia Islands (29 points)

Nunavut (22 points)

Wrangel Island (17 points)

Svalbard Islands (14 points)

Sakhalin (11 points)

Tasmania (9 points)

Luxembourg (1 point)

:d :d

I always knew Swaziland had it in them to fight for a good position, but this is even better than I expected!

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Now let's try and find if we even have any songs since 1 January 2015, I have no idea :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, hckosice said:

your exhausting dedication to this contest is so special and incredible :d

:lol:

Honestly, I would not know a single artist...I guess mostly listening to Bruce Springsteen and Lordi isn't helpful for this :d 

Just now, hckosice said:

yes you are right, it´s too short. I´m already thinking to extend the period by at least another week

nooooooo it's very long  :lol:

all that time for what and finally you give the 12 points to the Czech .R ,.... becarefull they not on the list :lol:

3 minutes ago, bestmen said:

nooooooo it's very long  :lol:

all that time for what and finally you give the 12 points to the Czech .R ,.... becarefull they not on the list :lol:

can´t believe they are in the way to miss the contest..:( but well, I´m a gentle, I´ll put them a special section in the opening ceremony :d

:KAZ KAZAKHSTAN :KAZ

NO MAD KARMA - 27

Remix

Miss You Amy – Your Song Goes On!

Verse 1

Amy Ran away one night

Whaddya think I cried for?

Amy ran away one night

Someone tell me what for?

Interlude

Ahhhhh Ahhhhhhh Ahhh Ahhh Ahhhhhhhh

Verse2

Hendrix, Janis, and Cobain

Tell me what they died for?

Amy ran away one night

Rock can wage a real cold war

Verse 3

All the lights went out that night

Angels never stay long

Amy ran away one night

Rock can play a real cruel song

Mid

Death is money to the sky

Record sales never lie

27 was their age

Never turned another page

Chorus (Repeated)

There’s a Band up high in the sky

Hear the sound of them and you will fly.

End Scat

"27" was their name

Jimi, Janis, Kurt Cobain

They’re the legends that remain

Amy didn’t die in vain

Still singing the sweetest song

I just blinked and she was gone

Amy

Edited by Ruslan