website statistics

Women's Football FIFA World Cup 2023

Totallympics

Brazil with a perfect chance early on, but unfortunately for them Marta is playing and so there was the first "Either I will be the hero, or nobody will be" moment, resulting in her going for a (failed) attempt to shoot the ball through three defenders instead of giving it to her teammate who was absolutely free 5 meters from the goal :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, hoversaBR said:

Normally I don't follow women's football, only Brazil games sometimes. Is this sport ridiculous like that or is it just Brazil? :mumble:

From what I'm seeing, women's football is still very much in it's early stages of developing a good quality level (I'm sure it's improving), with a lot of very silly mistakes and even in this World Cup already many super coincidental goals where someone basically just bumped into the ball by accident and it resulted in a goal.

However, the lack of quality means there's often a lot more chances, whereas in the men's game many teams have such a tight defense that often you're looking at football for 90 minutes and end up seeing like 2 chances and 1 goal and that's it :p 

So the disadvantage of women's football is also an advantage :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Brazil men's side isn't doing much better :evil:

With all due respect, this Jamaica team is horrible. If women's Brazil can't play better than this against this team, it's better to be eliminated.

And I agree with you, our men's team is incompetent.

Edited by hoversaBR

1 minute ago, hoversaBR said:

With all due respect, this Jamaica team is mediocre. If women's Brazil can't play better than this against this team, it's better to be eliminated.

They tied with France, so they are not that bad. But I agree is better to be eliminated now than in R16 like in the last two editions.

@heywooduSome teams have improved compared to 15-20 years ago and that applies to the overall level but some teams that are powerhouses in the men's game are still lagging or have regressed. Spain & Portugal have improved but Brazil appears to be stalled and they need new stars. The entire South America is miles behind the men's quality so it's gonna be curious to see if Colombia can emerge as a serious global contender following this World Cup. 

Also I'm puzzled why Mexico hasn't played any role in women's football, they have been MIA since forever.