website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, evil betty said:

Shapovalov was going to use protected ranking but has decided to rest his knee. https://tennistonic.com/tennis-news/720016/injured-denis-shapovalov-will-not-play-the-french-open-doubles-and-the-olympics/  

Does Raonic still have a protected ranking and is there a chance he'll play? Otherwise that is one less doubles team and :GRE will for sure be in.

Posted (edited)

For Croatia we know following: 

Pavic/Mektic plan to play. 
Dodig wants to play with Cilic, which means Cilic will have to use his PR to make the cut, but will qualify him for singles as well. 
Dodig plans mixed with Vekic as well if they make the cut. 
Vekic/ Martic is not an option. Both want to play singles. 
not sure about Coric if he will make the cut and if he wants to play at all

Edited by prso1000

22 minutes ago, evil betty said:

Shapovalov was going to use protected ranking but has decided to rest his knee. https://tennistonic.com/tennis-news/720016/injured-denis-shapovalov-will-not-play-the-french-open-doubles-and-the-olympics/  

I saw that article too, although I’m not sure how accurate it is. Shapovalov has been playing at grass Challengers lately, why would he play in them if he was injured? 

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

I saw that article too, although I’m not sure how accurate it is. Shapovalov has been playing at grass Challengers lately, why would he play in them if he was injured? 

The article explains that. He says that it is the surface that is the problem and that he wants to be fit and ready for the grass court season to rebuild his rankings.

1 hour ago, prso1000 said:

For Croatia we know following: 

Pavic/Mektic plan to play. 
Dodig wants to play with Cilic, which means Cilic will have to use his PR to make the cut, but will qualify him for singles as well. 
Dodig plans mixed with Vekic as well if they make the cut. 
Vekic/ Martic is not an option. Both want to play singles. 
not sure about Coric if he will make the cut and if he wants to play at all

Cilic hasn't played in a very long time, I thought he was injured, is he going to be healthy again?

Dodig/Vekic would just miss out but there would probably be withdrawals. Without withdrawals, Pavic/Vekic would get in regardless. Is that not a possibility?

Is Martic/Vekic not an option because they don't want to play together or some other reason? They would be one of the first alternates right now after GRE and ITA2, so they probably have a chance to get in the draw. I don't think Martic can make it in singles unless there are a lot of withdrawals...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MatiReimundo said:

Exactly as @evil bettysaid, we have to wait about Protected Ranking (Nishikori probably will use it, Cilic dunno), but Nagal is in the last spot and as of now is qualified to Paris. Anyways, if 2 or 3 players announces their withdraw sumit is in no matter what because there are not too many PR in the mens draw

Are you sure Sumit is the last one now? I think Mensik is still qualified right now, behind Sumit.  I think Australia has only 3 qualified players (DeMinaur, Thompson, Popyrin).  O'Connell has not been in Davis Cup teams.  I think there is one extra spot available over the list we have here, and it goes to Mensik, right behind Sumit.

Can you confirm?  I don't see O'Connell in the Australia teams at DavisCup.Org.

Edited by jayakris

3 minutes ago, jayakris said:

Are you sure Sumit is the last one now? I think Mensik is still qualified right now, behind Sumit.  I think Australia has only 3 qualified players (DeMinaur, Thompson, Popyrin).  O'Connell has not been in the Davis Cup team.  I think there is one extra spot available over the list we have here, and it goes to Mensik, right behind Sumit.

Can you confirm?  I don't see O'Connell in the Australia teams at DavisCup.Org.

They are sometimes lenient with the rules, especially for a country like Australia who has many great players and probably didn't have many opportunities to be picked for Davis Cup anyways because he had other countrymen ranked higher than him!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

They are sometimes lenient with the rules, especially for a country like Australia who has many great players and probably didn't have many opportunities to be picked for Davis Cup anyways because he had other countrymen ranked higher than him!

I don't think they can do that.  Rules are rules.  They had better not bend it in this case.  If it was for a top-20 player, I can understand.  But O'Connell is #67 and Mensik is #78.  To screw CZE out of their third player, only to allow Australia to get a 4th player in, would be just wrong!  Czech Republic should certainly protest if they bend the rules.

Edited by jayakris

11 minutes ago, jayakris said:

I don't think they can do that.  Rules are rules.  They had better not bend it in this case.  If it was for a top-20 player, I can understand.  But O'Connell is #67 and Mensik is #78.  To screw CZE out of their third player, only to allow Australia to get a 4th player in, would be just wrong!  Czech Republic should certainly protest if they bend the rules.

They "bend the rules" like this all the time, there are many examples, especially when a player recently rose up like O'Connell did. He spent most of this Olympic cycle out of the top 100 and only recently is now well inside the top 100.

It really was not realistic for Australia to select him in Davis Cup in 2021 or 2022 for example.

Badosa is a good example, she spent most of the time between Rio and Tokyo well outside the top 100, where it would have been illogical for a country like Spain with multiple higher ranked players to choose her for BJK Cup during those years, then in 2020/2021 she rose up a lot in the rankings so Spain was able to get the exception for her to go to Tokyo.

Now a player like Sorana Cirstea should not get an exemption to play in Paris because she has consistently been one of Romania's top 2 players and hasn't played BJK Cup since 2018.