website statistics
26 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

What a total bust for Riiber. All those WC wins and when it mattered most, he is nowhere to be seen.

Yeah, what a choker.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, LowerSaxony said:

No Riiber in the Norwegian team tomorrow. I feel totally sorry for him.

Eric Frenzel is back from his incarceration quarantine and replaces Rydzek in the German team.

Surprised that Faißt made the team over Rydzek. Should be a pretty open 3-way battle for gold. Crazy that Riiber will end the olympics without a single medal. Also Lamparter only winning 1 bronze would be pretty disappointing for him.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, Einarsen said:

Riiber is back and ready for tomorrow:thumbup:

Horrible news for Germany (and everyone else), but i guess it would have been unfair for him not to win an individual gold. Frenzel will be back for the team competition, Weber has to go home sadly.

45 minutes ago, LowerSaxony said:

True. I doubt he'll ever improve in Jumping. But Buzzi and Bortolas do now look so bad, that should be two for 2026.

I forgot about Fontana and Retornaz (maybe missed somebody else) who could also compete in 2026.

Fischnaller in snowboard might also do it.

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

:AUT Lamparter can make up 26 seconds to Greiderer? I assume Japanese will struggle in cross country as usual.

Definitely, Rydzek is the big question mark. If he is remotely close to his best in cross-country skiing, then he should win it.

24 minutes ago, FancyFenchel said:

Do you mean Slovenia. ;)

I think Slovenia actually has some promising talents in nordic combined. Wouldn't be shocked if Slovenia would be a top 5 nation in nordic combined (and biathlon) in 5 years.

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Will Germany get one gold medal in Oberstdorf? I don't think so.

Very possible in Nordic combined large hill or men’s ski jumping large hill. Would have been easy to win 3 golds in Nordic combined, but pretty much all the German guys are out of shape. Riessle almost getting lapped by Grabaak and Frenzel barely making up any time compared to Ofterbro is a shocking proof. In cross country nothing was expected and the same is true for women’s ski jumping. I would be happy with those results if it would lead to Germany giving up snow-related sports, but sadly that won’t happen.

5 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Wow, this must be the longest Nordic Combined Thread in the history of the Internet!  :clap:

Yes, let’s keep spamming to make it even longer. :yes

6 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

Seems pretty obvious ... 

Then you are obviously overestimating your English language/logical reasoning skills.

34 minutes ago, justony said:

@OlympicsFan if you read carefully, I wasn't compared our teams, after all our nation is much smaller and budget much lower, that is why pleasure is much nicer during this WCH. 

But since you poked me, don't be surprised, if at the end hosting land of next WCH will finish on medal standings in front of this years host, like it or not. ?

I understood what you said, but obviously you didn’t understand what I said. I don’t care about The situation of Slovenian sport, so there was no reason to bring it up. 

Also please don’t act like a complete fool. You were trolling first, so don’t act as if you were trying to lead a normal discussion that I derailed. It is ok to troll, but at least be honest about it.

Maybe Slovenia will finish ahead of Germany in the medal table, but contrary to what you hope this doesn’t bother me. Germany only has to look at its own results and if Germany wins less than 1 gold, it certainly will be a bad result. In the end Germany did amazing at the last two worlds and will do amazing again in the future. A country can have fluke results in both directions. The alpine skiing worlds were a positive fluke for Germany and the Nordic worlds will probably be a negative fluke for Germany.

33 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

Great, you don't have to compare the two teams in the standings of your home WC then :rolleyes:

What are you trying to say?

54 minutes ago, justony said:

Sorry if things are not looking so good for your team last years as it was before, in times when Frenzel and Rydzek were at their best. In our small team there is even less to be happy about, Vid Vrhovnik, who was Junior World champion, had a lot of problems with health and other, meanwhile youngsters don't improve fast enough, it is going to be tough to complete team for Planica 2023.

All the German officials were perfectly clear about the situation before the start of this competition. Nobody expected a medal in women’s ski jumping for example. You clearly didn’t inform yourself about what the expectations were in Germany. Also I don’t really care about the situation in Slovenia and Germany should never compare itself to Slovenia.

43 minutes ago, justony said:

I would totally agree with @hckošice, no surprise there, perhaps I was at least expecting Geiger would also close to main group, other than that it is going to be awful Worlds for hosts, knowing their ever lasting high expectations.

Please stop trolling/don’t talk about things you have no clue of/inform yourself before talking nonsense.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, hckošice said:

Riiber did the same in Seefeld 2 years ago, in fact in the last 3 seasons, he is clearly the strongest and obviously one of the top favs in every race if we like it or not.

Oftebro beat both of them many times this season so it is not like some sudden miracle or so

Don’t know what you mean with „Riiber did the same“. I am sure he didn’t plan to have such a bad jump. Not sure what happened with the Germans today but if Geiger would have been in normal shape, Riiber might have very well lost this race (given that Geiger started almost at the same time as Herola and usually is at pretty much the same level of skiing, but much better at sprints).

Recently the German guys completely dominated Oftebro in cross-country skiing and often took around 1 minute off of him. It is very surprising that he also was able to beat someone like Watabe. I think either a lot of guys are completely out of shape or they just couldn’t deal with the conditions (maybe thanks to bad material). In a usual race there is no way that Oftebro would have finished ahead of Frenzel/Riessle/Watabe and that Herola would have finished that far ahead of Geiger.

15 minutes ago, hckošice said:

no surprise at the end, Riiber with finger in the nose, as easy as it could

Silver for Herola, bronze Oftebro.. not the hockey one

Really? I think barely any experts considered him the favorite before the start with only 20 seconds advantage compared to Riessle/Frenzel. Obviously the Norwegians either had insane material or had a great „training“ camp. When even some rando like Oftebro can beat Riessle/Frenzel, you know that something weird is going on.

8 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Akito & Riiber some 20 sec behind the ski jumping part winner Yamamoto, 20 seconds later Frenzel & Riessle.

these four are probably fighting for medals. Other shinkanzens on skis  Herola, Rydzek & Geiger are all around 40 seconds behind Watabe and Riiber, gonna be too hard for them to the podium, but who know

I don’t think you can apply normal „logic“ today. The conditions will be special thanks to the temperatures, we might have a very soft course, which would Help lighter athletes (Herola). The German coach just said that he hopes for a hard course, because the German athletes are generally on the heavier side. Personally I wouldn’t be shocked to see Herola/Geiger on the podium.

21 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Ok, so Geraghty-Moats could barely make Top 30 in ski jumping and suddenly she's dominating nordic combined. Just how BAD are the Norwegian girls competing here if a ski jumper from USA can out-ski them? :mumble:

Obviously it's a low-hanging fruit for women yet. USA has Geraghty-Moats and three others that finished in last three places after ski jumping. Depth equals zero. It's gonna take a few seasons where Geraghty-Moats will keep the pace before full-blown speciallists take over. USA used to be a powerhouse in women's ski jumping like 10 years ago and they can barely score a point in 2020. The days of Lindsey Van, Jessica Jerome and Sarah Hendrickson are gone, the traditional ski jumping powerhouses like Austria, Norway and Germany have taken over (plus Japan and Slovenia).

I'm gonna predict Japan eventually dominates the women's nordic combined within the next 5-6 years to follow on some of the men's success of the 90s.

I don’t think that Japan will dominate. In my opinion it will absolutely be dominated by Norway. They are the only nation that is good in women‘s ski jumping and cross-country. I think Germany, Slovenia and Russia could also be good.

I am not a fan of this Sport becoming Olympic. Women’s ski jumping is already a fringe sport, so it will be even worse for Nordic combined. Not sure if any of those athletes will be able to finance themselves, so the question is whether a country like Germany will see this as an opportunity to get some more easy medals by pouring some money in this sport.

On 01/03/2019 at 11:26, Monzanator said:

You're the one who majority people disagree with here :lol: Your ego is too big for you see the whole picture.

1) Why don't you quote me if you are interested in a discussion? If you aren't, then just stay quiet.

2) I am still waiting for you or our dutch friend to give any plausible reason why him medalling wasn't a big surprise. As far as i can see i am the only one here actually trying to lead a serious discussion.

3) Majority of people = 2? Wow, strong argument, especially considering you are one of them and the other one has made a hobby out of disagreeing with 99 % of what i say. I don't want to get into a philosophical discussion, but maybe it's not the best idea to just blindly follow whatever the majority of people currently considers to be true.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Yet these champs are held in his home country. I guess you don't accept the possibility he could have sacrificed the World Cup to focus on these champs - potentially his last ever? And you said top Germans are taking it easy in the post-Olympic season? Gruber could be doing the same and yet you call his medal random? :lol:

1) Gruber almost didn't get selected for this competition, it was between him and Denifl and he got lucky that he was even selected. I very much doubt that he had a guarantee to be selected, no matter how he would do during the world cup.

2) Why would Gruber take it easy if ...

a) The world championships are in his home country

b) He is 36 years old and this is the biggest competition for him until the 2022 olympics (where he will be 39 years old), it's very doubtful whether he will ever get a chance like this again.

I got used to you arguing with me on every thing i say just for the sake of it, but your nonsense is too easy to expose, please apply yourself from now on.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Gruber medalling random? Lol.

How did i know that you would comment on this 100 % ... (of course without replying to the actual comment, since that would mean you would have to get into an discussion and since you know you have no point, you didn't even try).

I know for you every outcome ever was predictable (that's why you are so superior in all the prediction contests), but for some of us it might have been quite a surprise to see someone winning the silver medal who didn't have a single podium finish this season and was never better than 7th ...

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Monzanator:

World Cup winner winning a gold medal isn't random at all :lol:

Very good performance from the Polish guys, three of them in Top 30 and Kupczak only lost 14 places in the skiing which is probably a record for him.

First individual WC gold for :NOR in Nordic combined since 2001.

1) If you want to discuss, then ...

a) Reply to my comment

b) Read my comment before you reply

2) I said that Riiber deserved that gold medal, but Gruber winning a medal here is completely random (so is Germany not having anyone on the podium)

What a random result, although Riiber deserved it probably given the season he is having. The austrian grandpa winning a medal certainly is a bad sign, but not completely shocking given that the best german athletes are taking it easy this season. Must be nice for all the other nations to finally have a chance at winning something again. Have to say that i absolutely can't stand Riiber and Rehrl, easily the least likeable guys in nordic combined for me.