website statistics
Sports Fails Thread
Posted

Nacional has threatened to withdraw from the Basketball Champions League Americas.

https://www.montevideo.com.uy/Deportes/Basquet-Nacional-analiza-retirarse-de-la-BCLA-si-no-tiene-respuesta-de-FIBA-por-localia-uc875275

The club claims that they can't afford to rent the Antel Arena, and they refuse to rent the Palacio Peñarol (and their rival club wouldn't offer it anyway).

In addition, FIBA Americas has denied using the Campus de Maldonado or the Estadio 10 de Julio in Florida. The club claims that the complains

The club even proposed to modify the schedule so they play their on the third window in Buenos Aires, but the confederation did not reply.

Nacional doesn't have a proper arena, instead they usually play at Unión Atlética, which is also not up to FIBA Américas level.

Best sports TV/online commercials
Posted

Some motorsports intros:

Turismo Carretera on Carburando (2008)

TUrismo Carretera on Carburando (2009)

Turismo Competición 2000 on Carburando (2009)

Formula 1 on Sky Sports UK (2012)

Formula 1 (2018)

Formula 1 (2019)

Sports Fails Thread
Posted

Fails at the 2023 Pan American Games:

In athletics, the women's 20 km walk was actually held over 17 km, so all times were annulled.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/67258758

- o -

In taekwondo, the Giulia Sendra vs Sara Grippoli repechage match was suspended after the first round. Grippoli actually had already qualified for the bronze match.

https://www.tycsports.com/polideportivo/el-insolito-motivo-que-adelanto-la-pelea-de-guzman-por-la-dorada-id542795.html

- o -

In rugby sevens, the Canadians scored an invalid try at the gold medal match against the United States, and the referee ignored the protests by the Americans.

After a lineout, the Canadians attempted to form a maul, but no American player engaged, so they kept advancing until it was too late. They should have been penalized for obstruction.

Sports Fails Thread
Posted

The Uruguayan Olympic Committee website has not been updated in over 12 months.

The COU has active accounts on Facebook, Instagram and X / Twitter, but the website only has a link to the first one.

National & International Sports Awards
Posted

Charrúa Awards winners:

https://www.montevideo.com.uy/Deportes/Los-campeones-del-mundo-sub-20-y-el-remero-Felipe-Kluver-recibieron-el-Charrua-de-Oro--uc866528

• Golden Charrúas: shared between the under-20 football team and rower Felipe Klüver.
  • Silver Charrúas:
    • Landmark: Bruno Cetraro (rowing)
    • Overseas performance: Elizabeth Chiappini (artistic roller skating)
    • Overseas competitor: Mauricio Moreira (cycling)
    • Newcomer: Manuela Rotundo (athletics)
  • Crystal Charrúa:
    • Men's: Milton Wynants (cycling)
    • Women's: Deborah Rodríguez (athletics)

3 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

You'd have to be very careful with any kind of "SportsWiki" minus a lot of rules. Wikipedia is already plagued with many sport-related stubs and half done articles because the only person working on them ran out of time or went on to the next project.

That's my case. I've created more Spanish Wikipedia articles than I can update regularly.

Posted
On 12/22/2022 at 12:11 AM, NMQ said:

Messi won the golden award for best athlete of the year, obviously. Only his third one, though.

Here's the full winners: https://www.infobae.com/deportes-2/2022/12/22/messi-suma-premios-gano-el-olimpia-de-oro-2022/

I'm surprised that I know very few of them, unlike a decade ago.

Sports Budgets in your Nation
Posted (edited)
On 10/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, LDOG said:

The other day I heard a journalist say our entire sports budget is the same as the budget of brazilian swimming. :facepalm:

The Argentine government says that the total public budget for sports is 4 billion pesos (or US$ 25 million by the official exchange rate).

https://www.telam.com.ar/notas/202210/607435-secretaria-deportes-enard--presupuesto-becas.html

Of course this doesn't include other income by federations and clubs (like tickets, TV rights and sponsors), which I guess are minimal for most sports.

Edited by NaBUru38

Sports Budgets in your Nation
Posted

The Uruguayan parliament approved its 2023/2024 budget. The Olympic Committee, National Sports Secretary, and Uruguay Sports Foundation will get a combined $UY 100 million (US$ 2.5 million) each of the next two years.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:19 PM, phelps said:

Frankly, having an African team (especially among the women) doesn't add anything to the tournament...actually, it does add an unwatchable game per day and makes the group less competitive (only 5 teams competing for 4 QTFs spots).

The Olympic volleyball tournament already had an African spot and it still does. That's not my complaint.

My complaint is that all teams should have a chance of qualifying, even if it takes five rounds over six years.

23 hours ago, phelps said:

if there are less than 32 spots per discipline, only the best must be included in the Olympic tournaments.

I disagree. Let's keep with volleyball.

Th 2022 Men's World Cup had 9 European teams in the top 16. The 2022 Women's World Cup had 4 European teams in the top 8. The World Rankings has 6 European men's teams and 7 European women's teams in the respective top 12.

It would be perfectly reasonable that the the Olympic volleyball tournament have the host, the previous champion, 3 European teams, 2 Americas teams, 2 Asian teams and 1 African team, and 2 world repechage teams. This would guarantee that any of the 200+ countries can qualify.

Instead, the Olympic qualifiers are restricted to the top 25 teams in the world rankings. That's absolutely ridiculous! Teams like Peru and Spain have literally no opportunity.

5 hours ago, Dunadan said:

I find the current volleyball OQS nearly perfect: it ensures continental representation (but only 1 per continent)

The Olympics volleyball tournament qualifying format was changed for the worst for 2024. The continental guarantee is based on world rankings, not continental qualifiers.

Hi folks! I have written quite a lot here complaining about bad qualifying systems for the Olympics and World Cups in different team sports. I wanted to make a centralized thread to discuss it.

Of course, each team sport has its particularities. Rugby union matches require 5 days of rest, whereas a full 16-team rugby sevens tournament can be played in two days. Some sports have more worldwide parity (like football) while others have strongholds (like handball). And of course some tournaments have more teams than others.

The first problem is using world rankings, which prevent upsets. For example, Brazil and Argentina are at the top of nearly every team sport in South America. When rankings are used, no team has a serious chance of qualifying instead of those two. On the contrary, continental tournaments should be mandatory. The worst offender is volleyball, whose Olympic tournaments will have 5 teams directly from the world rankings.

A related second problem is using world qualifiers to award most if not all spots. This causes some problems: drawing can help some teams and punish others despite seeding, and some continents may get squeezed out. I'm fine with using world competitions (be it previous World Cups or Olympics, world qualifiers or world repechages) to set a few teams, but not most of them. For example, the Olympics field hockey and women's basketball feature no continental qualifiers at all.

The gold standard is football, which features very few repechage spots. Another excellent example is rugby sevens. The 2024 Olympic men's basketball qualifying is complex and could be improved in many ways, but is not strictly bad.

I would also make as many mixed team events as possible.

So first of all I would add more mixed team relays.

Tennis, badminton and ping pong would be played with a Sudirman Cup-style format, with a singles tournament and a doubles tournament.

Team sports would be played on four quarters (two for each sex), or a best of seven sets (with the last set switching teams every 2 minutes).

The Summer Olympics are too large. I would split them into Outdoor (truly summer) and Indoor (autumn?), held in different countries.

Outdoor Olympics: athletics, triathlon, road cycling, mountain biking, BMX, open waters swimming, kayaking, rowing, sailing, football, rugby, tennis, golf, field lacrosse, field hockey, beach volley, beach soccer, equestrian, archery, surfing, water skiing, wakeboarding, skateboarding, climbing.

Indoor Olympics: indoor athletics, track cycling, gymnastics, pool swimming, diving, futsal, basketball, indoor volleyball, indoor hockey, indoor lacrosse, indoor tennis, ping pong, squash, weightlifting, boxing, karate, judo, taekwondo, ju-jitsu, fencing, wrestling, billiards, bowling.

Posted

The Golden Charrúa goes to Federico Valverde (football).

The Silver Charrúas go to:

• Hernán Umpierre & Fernando Diz (sailing)
  • Matías Otero (rowing)
  • Anibal Lavandeira (ultra trail)
  • Nicole Frank (swimming)

https://www.futbol.com.uy/Deportes/Federico-Valverde-fue-elegido-como-el-Charrua-de-Oro-al-mejor-deportista-2021-2022-uc832962

Governments from 37 countries asked sports federations to ban Russian athletes from all international competitions.

The list includes United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, France, Germany, Italy and United Kingdom.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1120290/govs-russian-ukraine-sanctions