website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

On 7/18/2016 at 17:40, Vaibhav (minchu) said:

Agreed on the unpredictability (remember the new rules we had discussed which in itself makes for a game changer!) and the fact that we might up end up dropping it down to only a SINGLE medal this time in shooting.
What we are discussing is the pre-olympic scenario... Vijay's medal, Joydeep's heartbreak were not expected at all. But yeah, following qualification closely has been a big factor one can not discount. Though if you take factors like our contingent's confidence going into the games, no. of medal opportunities, closeness to world class scores. It is a bit more improved than being projected imo.

As for Saina, I feel exactly the same. Last time semi was more or less a sure shot...this time not! but then this time she can go all the way. the 3 SS titles you mention, she had won back in 2010. In 2012, she came out victorious only in one. Quoting you her pre-olympic SS form during the 2 years (which I had tweeted once):

2012 - QF, SF, QF, 2R, W
2016 - QF, SF, SF, QF, W

Quite close isn't it? More sign
One

On 7/18/2016 at 14:44, kapil857 said:

I think you are shortchanging the London shooting contingent a bit.

Vijay returned with a silver medal and Joydeep came extremely close, besides Gagan's bronze of course. Even AB had a weak final round of qualification and missed out, else he was on course for final after 5 rounds. Heena was not too far from the final, finishing 12th. Of course, we all remember the heart-break of Ronjan.

Fact is shooting is a highly unpredictable sport and anything can happen on the day. Even the contingent of London had world cup medals to show as does the contingent at Rio. Its just that we know our shooters better this time than we did at Rio as we have all been following the qualification process closely.

And AP, AC, Gurpreet, even Chain, have unfortunately been a bit disappointing of late. Though, yes, we never had a Jitu Rai at London. He is in a class of his own (but also untested against Olympic pressure which really is a beast of its own). 

So I'd say the contingent is a little better but don't think it is a massive improvement. I think we'll still probably end up with 2 medals, may be 3 (and I'll be heavily disappointed but not exactly surprised if it drops to 1, just due to the sheer unpredictability of the sport). Hopefully, at least one of them will be GOLD. 

As for Saina, it is definitely a different situation. At London, she was heavily favored to reach the semis but was the definite underdog from there on. This time, no one is really unbeatable but it is also a much wider field.

But, she went into the London Olympics having won 3 superseries titles and with recent victories over Xuerui and Shixian (who didnt make the olympics, but still..). Also, Wang Xin was on the wane. Personally, I was seriously hoping in London that she avoids Yihan in the semis in which case she would likely have a shot against both the other Chinese and I expected her to come through at least one of them.

This time, its been a while since she beat Marin or Xuerui. She also has a bogey player in Tai though hopefully that wont come into play. Had she not won the Australian super series, I would have no doubt in saying that she was better placed in London. But with that victory, it is much more even. She definitely has a better chance of GOLD this time than she had last time, but the chance of reaching semis and sneaking a BRONZE was probably still a tad higher last time.

I agree, there is no real massive improvement, its only incremental. The jump in numbers is largely due to Women Hokey Team and Athletics, both of which don't seem to be genuine medal contenders (I hope and wish that I am wrong). But, have positive implications for posterity should they build on the good work off late.

But I definitely believe Yogeshwar Dutt will get a Gold, the progress and the buildup including training and mindset appears to have analogy with the Abhinav Bindra's strategy of experimenting new methods and the determination factor as elucidated in his book, " A Shot at History: My Obsessive Journey to Olympic Gold " (I read the book 4 times)

As far others are concerned, Shooters and Archery will produce some medals, the color of which depends on the mindset and luck. But we do have world standard players and Olympics have less competition vis-a-vis ISSF World Cups.

I have feeling inside that Dipa Karkarmar will get Gymnastics medal. That would be one of the stories of the whole Olympics competition at Rio itself.

Sindu, Men Hockey and Tennis mixed doubles depend upon the day, their mood and the inspiration. Can be anything between last and first. Highly mercurial dark horses.

Saina does have chances, but have a feeling that people have read her game. But she is a gutsy lady. She need to do justice for herself by innovation. might face hurdles at QF.

boxing and other wrestlers may get "some" bronze medals.

1 hour ago, Reddy said:

But I definitely believe Yogeshwar Dutt will get a Gold, the progress and the buildup including training and mindset appears to have analogy with the Abhinav Bindra's strategy of experimenting new methods and the determination factor as elucidated in his book, " A Shot at History: My Obsessive Journey to Olympic Gold " (I read the book 4 times)

I had myself finished it last week and quite liked the analogy here! Similar traits... 2006 World champion and silent for next 2 years with flashes of brilliance here and there, but what was brewing inside him was the main deal. 

Similar for Yogi. Let's hope for the best 

Yugant Shekhar Singh reached in men's long jump finals. He leaped to a distance of 7.68m in qualification round to qualify for the finals of the World Junior Athletics Championships.

Surely the next Jumper to be on the blocks knocking at the International doors for India....

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

India at the IAAF u20 world championships - day 1 summary - day 2 look forward

DAY1 Summary - Great Day for India :thumbup:

1500 meters( M )  - Ajay Saroj came in with a PB 3:44.4 and was in heat 1 and was not expected to make the finals based on PB ..................... came in a close 4th in heat 1 with a time close to his PB 3.44.96 ..... top 3 in each heat get through as well as the fastest two qualifiers ....went into the Finals ( as the top 12 )  :clap: as one of the two fastest qualifers ...but his time was incredibly also the 4th fastest in the qualfiers as the other two heats were slower .................Hoping that he can finish in the top 6 in the finals and also beat his personal best ( His PB is the 9th best amongst the 12 finalists ) - Final is on 21st

Long Jump( M) - Yugant shekhar started in group B with PB of 7.8 was expected to make the finals ....Jumped a good jump of 7.68 in his second jump  ( with a negative wind of -1.0 )  reached the finals with the 5th best jump:clap: ......... A medal hope in long jump is possible but difficult as many of them have huge PBs...especially the two cubans......... but hope he can beat his PB and if he comes close to 8 meters a medal is possible, ( His PB is 8th best amongst the Finalists ) ..the final is on 20th 

800 meters ( W) - we had 2 participants lili das and abintha mary ......both are fancied junior runners ....abintha came into  Heat 3 with the slowest PB of all the runners 2.07.33  in that heat and was not expected to progress , lili came in heat 5 into with a PB -  2.06.64  which was 5th best -     and was not expoected to progress ....... Lili did a slow 2.13.45 and finished last in her heat  :facepalm:- but I think she has another chance int he 1500 where her chances are  better ....................  Abintha ( coached by the great PT usha ) did well to clock a 2.06.91 :clap:finished 5th in her heat and qualified for the semis ............she is again based on her timing 7th best amongst the heat timings for all comers so a great achievement by her .............. but progressing to the final looks almost impossible for her unless she again beats her personal best once again by a large margin ( she is slowest amongst the 8 semi finalists in her heat in terms of PB  )  ......semis is on 20th 

India at the 2nd day - Look ahead - Lots of action 

110 m Hurdles ( round 1)  - Maymon poulaose comes in with the heat 2 with the 6th slowest PB amongst his heat based on the PB he should not make it to the next round as he is the 5th slowest in his heat but based on the performance of the others - May he can make the semis.....his event -  Indian time 15.15 hrs 

Triple jump ( prelims ) - sonu kumar PB  15.99- gain based on PB he is approx 20th and not expected to make it to the finals...again hoping he can beat his PB and make the finals  - ecvent around 15;30 

Hammer throw (prelims) - Ashish Jakkar PB 69 - comes in with one of the lowest PBs amongst all the people in the event - getting to the finals would be a miracle ...bu tthis is an event where we have had no major traction in the past so to have an athelete in the worlds is a great event for us ...... I hope he can beat 70 - his event is india time 16.15

800 m women ( semis ) - abintha in action see above for chances 

Long jump ( Finals ) - Yugant in action see above for chances 

both the semis/finals  are in the night around 22:00 hrs 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

4 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

India at the IAAF u20 world championships - day 1 summary - day 2 look forward

DAY1 Summary - Great Day for India :thumbup:

1500 meters( M )  - Ajay Saroj came in with a PB 3:44.4 and was in heat 1 and was not expected to make the finals based on PB ..................... came in a close 4th in heat 1 with a time close to his PB 3.44.96 ..... top 3 in each heat get through as well as the fastest two qualifiers ....went into the Finals ( as the top 12 )  :clap: as one of the two fastest qualifers ...but his time was incredibly also the 4th fastest in the qualfiers as the other two heats were slower .................Hoping that he can finish in the top 6 in the finals and also beat his personal best ( His PB is the 9th best amongst the 12 finalists ) - Final is on 21st

Long Jump( M) - Yugant shekhar started in group B with PB of 7.8 was expected to make the finals ....Jumped a good jump of 7.68 in his second jump  ( with a negative wind of -1.0 )  reached the finals with the 5th best jump:clap: ......... A medal hope in long jump is possible but difficult as many of them have huge PBs...especially the two cubans......... but hope he can beat his PB and if he comes close to 8 meters a medal is possible, ( His PB is 8th best amongst the Finalists ) ..the final is on 20th 

800 meters ( W) - we had 2 participants lili das and abintha mary ......both are fancied junior runners ....abintha came into  Heat 3 with the slowest PB of all the runners 2.07.33  in that heat and was not expected to progress , lili came in heat 5 into with a PB -  2.06.64  which was 5th best -     and was not expoected to progress ....... Lili did a slow 2.13.45 and finished last in her heat  :facepalm:- but I think she has another chance int he 1500 where her chances are  better ....................  Abintha ( coached by the great PT usha ) did well to clock a 2.06.91 :clap:finished 5th in her heat and qualified for the semis ............she is again based on her timing 7th best amongst the heat timings for all comers so a great achievement by her .............. but progressing to the final looks almost impossible for her unless she again beats her personal best once again by a large margin ( she is slowest amongst the 8 semi finalists in her heat in terms of PB  )  ......semis is on 20th 

India at the 2nd day - Look ahead - Lots of action 

110 m Hurdles ( round 1)  - Maymon poulaose comes in with the heat 2 with the 6th slowest PB amongst his heat based on the PB he should not make it to the next round as he is the 5th slowest in his heat but based on the performance of the others - May he can make the semis.....his event -  Indian time 15.15 hrs 

Triple jump ( prelims ) - sonu kumar PB  15.99- gain based on PB he is approx 20th and not expected to make it to the finals...again hoping he can beat his PB and make the finals  - ecvent around 15;30 

Hammer throw (prelims) - Ashish Jakkar PB 69 - comes in with one of the lowest PBs amongst all the people in the event - getting to the finals would be a miracle ...bu tthis is an event where we have had no major traction in the past so to have an athelete in the worlds is a great event for us ...... I hope he can beat 70 - his event is india time 16.15

800 m women ( semis ) - abintha in action see above for chances 

Long jump ( Finals ) - Yugant in action see above for chances 

both the semis/finals  are in the night around 22:00 hrs 

Any live streaming links?