website statistics

Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread

rybak

3 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Anyone else think it's weird that the WTA Finals this year are from Wednesday to Wednesday? Instead of ending on a Sunday like usual.

Really annoying that the ATP Finals begin while the WTA Finals are still going on. I'm not a fan of this at all.

I think it was delayed a few days to let players that were in the BJKC finals travel and have a few days to rest.

58 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Paula Badosa beats Maria Sakkari 7-6(4) 6-4 and could advance to SF with a match in hand if Swiatek beats Sabalenka in three sets later tonight.

If Sabalenka wins too, isn't she? But Iga would be out, so better not to happen :p

Both Greek stars are playing today/tonight, and in both cases they are basically playing for the right to advance to the semifinals.

I can't ever remember a time when both of them had such important matches on the same day.

Many times at the slams they played on the same day and even at the same time (which happened quite often and was annoying) but only in the early rounds. I think 2019 Australian Open where both played at the same time in the third round was the furthest in the draw that it happened. And in 2019 Maria won Rabat and Stefanos won Estoril the same weekend, but both are just 250 events and Rabat's final was on a Saturday while Estoril's was on a Sunday.

EDIT-Actually at the Olympics they played on the same day (Stefanos' second round and Maria's third round) and both were on the centre court, but again those were early round matches.