Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
uk12points

Paralympic Sports Discussion Thread

Six nations win gold in Downhill on Day 1 of the Para Alpine Skiing World Championships

160801075950975_Tarvisio.JPG?itok=ExQoXN

Six nations (Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain and USA) won gold in the six Downhill classifications in Tarvisio this morning.

In the Women's Visually Impaired Great Britain's Millie Knight won gold, leading home multiple Paralympic champion Henrieta Farkasova from Slovakia, with Eleonor Sana from Belgium winning bronze. But this event was a bittersweet victory for the British team, as Kelly Gallagher suffered serious injuries during her Downhill training run, bringing an early end to her competition.

In the women's standing class, ever dominant Marie Bochet won gold for France, with close rival Andrea Ruthfuss having to settle for silver. In a close North American battle for bronze, Canada's Alana Ramsay pipped USA's Stephanie Jallen, sparking a rivalry that is likely to continue in the races to come.

Anna Schaffelhuber delivered yet again on the biggest stage, beating Austria's Claudia Loesch by 0.2 seconds to win gold for Germany. As is common in the seated events the Japanese were yet again a strong force, winning bronze through Momoka Muraoka, but she was still some 4 seconds adrift of the top two.

In the men's visually impaired Canada's leading man Mac Marcoux continued his success at world championships by winning gold ahead of Yon Santacana of Spain and Miroslav Haraus of Slovakia, with less than a second separating the top 3 the men's visually impaired class will be hotly contested over the coming races.

In the men's standing the largest field of all for the speed events was seen, with 18 finishers. However, topping the pile was Austria's Markus Salcher, who led from start to finish in this closely contested category. Canada's Kirk Schornstein won silver with Jeffrey Stuut winning bronze for the Netherlands. But with just 3 seconds separating the top 10 skiers the future races are likely to be very tight.

Finally, Andrew Kurka of the USA made up for a spat of 4th place American finishes by winning gold in the sitting event, sending New Zealands Corey Peters and Japan's Akira Kano into silver and bronze medal position.

At the end of Day 1 Canada lead the medals table, with 3 medals and 1 gold, with Austria and Germany close behind with both nations on 2 medals and 1 gold. Tomorrow the Super-G events will take place with broadly similar fields, many of the smaller nations and less experienced skiiers will join in the Slalom and Giant Slalom races early next week.

Full Results Here

Full replay of all races (original live stream)

Edited by uk12points

8 minutes ago, uk12points said:

In the Women's Visually Impaired Great Britain's Millie Knight won gold, leading home multiple Paralympic champion Henrieta Farkasova from Slovakia

8 minutes ago, uk12points said:

In the men's visually impaired Canada's leading man Mac Marcoux continued his success at world championships by winning gold ahead of Yon Santacana of Spain and Miroslav Haraus of Slovakia, with less than a second separating the top 3 the men's visually impaired class will be hotly contested over the coming races.

Good start for our athletes. Looking forward for slalom and GS, hopefully for some golds there :)

16 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Good start for our athletes. Looking forward for slalom and GS, hopefully for some golds there :)

I would be SHOCKED if Slovakia failed to win a gold off the back of a season of very impressive performances so far. In the women's VI I reckon every race will be close between Knight and Farkasova (if they both finish), I can see Knight with the edge in the speed events and Farkasova in the technical.

The men's VI is basically wide open in every event, so you could be 1st or 5th really easily! Hopefully Marek Kubacka can perform well in the technical races and maybe pick up a gold or two!

First gold :clap: Henrieta Farkašová won the womens VI super G. among mens silver for Jakub Krako :yes still the slalom and GS to come :bounce:

On 26. 1. 2017 at 15:02, hckosice said:

First gold :clap: Henrieta Farkašová won the womens VI super G. among mens silver for Jakub Krako :yes still the slalom and GS to come :bounce:

Fantastic Henrieta won another world championship title :clap: in Alpine Combined this time. I wonder where she store all her medals and trophies :lol: she must have them some millions, 5 time paralympic champion, multiple time word cup winner etc...

and to not forget bronze for Jakub Krako in the mens category.

Henrieta Farkašová is again world champion in Giant Slalom  :bowdown: this women is just wonderful and admirable ...and still her favorite slalom to come

Second gold for Jeroen Kampschreur in the sitting category, apparently we have a 17-year old superstar one year before the Paralympics :hyper:

And that's three gold medals for 17-year old Kampschreur, wow!!

Henrieta Farkašová is once again world champion in slalom, she finished this world championships with 4 golds and 1 silver. PyeongChang we are comming :cheer:

Updated the results portal with all the World Championships speed events (Downhill, Super-G and Super Combined) here

Apologies for the delay, the technical events results will be up later as well!

Skiers Marcoux and Farkasova storm to quadrouple gold

Slalom races today closed the 2017 World Para Alpine Skiing Championships in tarvisio, Italy.

160801075950975_Tarvisio.JPG?itok=ExQoXN

Canada’s Mac Marcoux and Slovakia’s Henrieta Farkasova skied to victory in slalom on Tuesday (31 January), each claiming their fourth golds to close the 2017 World Para Alpine Skiing Championships in Tarvisio, Italy.

Marcoux, guided by Jack Leitch, can now call himself champion in the men’s visually impaired after registering the two fastest runs. The 19-year-old has found the form of his career so far in Tarvisio, and continued his medal run despite the falling rain on the Di Prampero course. Spain’s Paralympic silver medallist Jon Santacana Maiztegui improved on his bronze medal from the last Worlds in 2015, taking second place with guide Miguel Galindo. Slovakia’s Vancouver 2010 Paralympic champion Jakub Krako and guide Branislav Brozman completed a podium triple from Tarvisio with bronze.

Now a 12-time world champion, Farkasova and guide Natalia Subrtova saw off a challenge from Great Britain’s Millie Knight with guide Brett Wild in the women’s visually impaired. The Slovakian posted the leading time in the morning, giving herself a good buffer heading into the second run. Knight fought back in the afternoon, showing her growing confidence in taking on the world’s biggest names, but her quick finish was not quite enough and she left with silver. Germany’s Noemi Eva Ristau kicked off a medal rush for Germany with bronze, her first at this level with guide Gerkau Lucien.

Ristau’s Paralympic champion teammate Andrea Rothfuss added gold to her country’s haul, once again overcoming France’s defending title holder Marie Bochet. Rothfuss was just 0.19 seconds behind the French 14-time world champion after the first run. But she came back fighting as she had done 24 hours before in the giant slalom, dipping over the line first by just 0.03 seconds. “I think slalom is the discipline I don’t like,” Rothfuss said. “I had to do a lot more training in slalom, because it’s the discipline I haven’t had a good performance in. I didn’t expect to reach the podium a second time and then in slalom. It’s incredible! On her road to the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Winter Games, which has received a huge boost this week, Rothfuss continued: “I had some good results here, that keeps me smiling all the time. I look forward to it. In the summer we will train a lot and hard for it and we’ll see what happens in PyeongChang.” Bochet claimed silver, an impressive 16th consecutive World Championships podium finish for the multiple Paralympic champion. Anna-Maria Rieder, another German to secure her first Worlds medal at the age of 16, was third.

The men’s standing saw a sweep of the technical events for French teenager Arthur Bauchet. Continuing to make an impact on his rivals, the youngster looked delighted to add to his title from the giant slalom on Monday (30 January). Austria’s Thomas Grochar was second, leading New Zealand’s Adam Hall into bronze.

The men’s and women’s sitting events were highlighted by triple wins for Germany’s  Anna Schaffelhuber  and the Netherlands’ Jeroen Kampschreur. In the women’s, Paralympic champion Schaffelhuber had a tussle with her teammate Anna-Lena Forster. Schaffelhuber posted the fastest time in the morning, but 2015 bronze medallist Forster fired a warning shot in her second run closing the gap to just 0.49 seconds overall. “I really looked forward to the slalom. I knew this would be a hot race, because Anna-Lena has been very, very strong in the slalom this year. I knew in the second run I really had to go fast, so I’m really happy to have won the gold medal today.” The top two on the podium, added to Rothfuss’ gold and Rieder’s bronze, made a great day for Germany. “I heard on the start that we’d won three medals and I said ‘that’s pretty cool’,” Schaffelhuber said. “That was really a motivation for me at the start. Because they won it and I knew I can do it too and I wanted to go fast.” Austrian world champion Claudia Loesch completed the top three with bronze and medalling in all five events. Kampschreur was on top of the world for the third time this week in the men’s sitting. In a dramatic conclusion to the race, the 17-year-old grabbed gold from the hands of Poland’s Igor Sikorski who was in line to win his first world title. However Kampschreur could not have skied better, weaving his way down the course with technique comparable to his more experienced competitors. Sikorski finished 0.37 seconds behind, leading another Dutch skier, Niels de Langen, into third. 

Full Results Here

United States and Netherlands top as Paralympic Games quotas are won in Canada

160831073857173_bigwhite+logo.jpg?itok=u

Snowboard Cross races in the 5 Paralympic classifications opened the 2017 World Para Snowboard Championships in Big White, Canada

Netherlands and the United States came out as the dominant forces in Para-Snowboard after the Snowboard Cross events, both nations won 2 gold medals (thus securing 2 Paralympic Games quotas each).

In the Women's Lower Limb 1 (LL1) Brenna Huckaby from USA won gold in the big final, beating close rival cecile Hernandez-Cervellon of France. Meanwhile in the small final Nicole Roundy won an all North American battle to win the second medal for the USA, beating Canada's Michelle Salt. However, the field was relatively small compared to some competitions this year, with just 6 entries (1 of which did not start).

In the Women's Lower Limb 2 (LL2) the dominance of Bibian Mentel-Spee was on superb display, winning an all Dutch big final against compatriot Lisa Bunschoten. In fact the Netherlands almost completed a clean sweep, but they were denied by Joany Badenhorst of Australia.

In the Men's Upper Limb (UL) a new addition to the Paralympic program in 2018, USAs Michael Minor the in-form snowboarder of the 2016-17 season so far won gold, beating Maxime Montaggioni of France, and securing another Paralympic quota for the USA. In the small final Jacopo Luchini of Italy beat Britain's rising star James Barnes-Miller to bronze, ensurig the Italians, who used to dominate this event, were repsented on the medals podium.

In the Men's Lower Limb 1 (LL1) the male equivalent to Bibian Mentel-Spee, Chris Vos, won gold, against Reinhold Schett of Austria. The American's who were largely expected to challenge Vos had to settle for a small final race, where Mark Mann came out on top.

Finally, the only nation to break the Dutch-American domination was Finland in the Men's Lower Limb 2 (LL2) as Matti Suur-Hamari, beat Evan Strong of the USA to gold, with Michael Shea of USA picking up bronze. Gaining Finland a valuable Paralympic quota place.

Paralympic Games 2018 Quota:

Women's SBX LL1: :USA United States

Women's SBX LL2: :NED Netherlands

Men's SBX UL: :USA United States

Men's SBX LL1: :NED Netherlands

Men's SBX LL2: :FIN Finland

Full Results Here

Edited by uk12points