• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poland moves up

U18s roll through Division II

4ff89f09b0.jpg

Another gold-medal win for Poland in Division II. Two days after the women’s team, the U18 national team followed suit.

The Polish national U18 team was unstoppable at the 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship Division II Group A, going undefeated through five games to win gold and promotion to Division I just two days after the Polish women’s national team celebrated the same accomplishment.

The Poles began with a 7-2 win over Croatia and didn’t let up, racking up big wins over the Netherlands, Romania, Great Britain and Lithuania to run the table in Brasov.

In fact the only time the Poles were behind in a game at the 2016 tournament was when they gave up a 1-0 lead to the Croats midway through the first period of their opening game. The team responded by scoring five unanswered goals in that game, and didn’t look back the rest of the tournament.

In all Poland potted an impressive 43 goals in five games, while giving up just eight overall. The team’s offence was led by forward Dominik Pas, who averaged two goals per game and had a pair of hat tricks, coming against Croatia and Great Britain.

The 16-year-old finished with 12 points to lead all scorers (10G+2A). His teammates Alan Lyszczarczyk and Bartlomiej Jeziorski also finished in the top five in scoring with 12 and 11 points respectively.

Poland will move back up to Division I for the 2017 season, where the U18 team had been competing since 2003 before being relegated two years ago.

The Poles’ dominant run in 2016 left the rest of the field competing for second and third place. Silver went to hosts Romania, who aside from a tough loss to the Poles played a solid tournament and beat Lithuania 6-1 in a key game to earn second place.

Helped by a strong effort from Directorate Top Forward Dominik Bogdziul, Lithuania finished third, followed by Great Britain and Croatia.

Winless Netherlands was relegated to Group B following a tight loss to Croatia on the final day, Matija Stubicar scoring the game winner in the third period to claim a 2-1 win and fourth place.

The Directorate best Goaltender award went to Romania’s Adorjan Ors. Ors posted a 92.50 save percentage and a 2.47 GAA through five games, bettered only by Polish goalie Kamil Lewartowski, who was aided by some great play from his blueliners including Top Defenceman Jakub Michalowski, who was a +11 and had six points in the tournament.

Hungary women win out

Finish on top in close tourney at Asiago

f86f25be73.jpg

The Hungarian women’s national team celebrates its biggest success in history after winning the 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship Division I Group B

The Hungarian women’s national team has won promotion to the Group A next year, claiming first place in the 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship Division I Group B.

Latvia and Kazakhstan finished second and third respectively. The host nation Italy narrowly avoided relegation with a shootout win against Kazakhstan in the tournament’s final game.

The Division IB tournament came to a thrilling close on Sunday, as almost every team had a chance at winning the gold but also had to worry about avoiding relegation. There were a number of upsets and exciting games all throughout the week.

The pre-tournament favourites were Latvia who had been relegated from Group A last season, along with the Netherlands and China. The tournament started off with an expected result as Latvia got past Kazakhstan, who had won promotion to the group the previous year, on a hat trick by Liga Mijone. The opening game was followed up by two upsets as Hungary got revenge against the Netherlands for last year’s 2-0 loss by winning 2-1 and the hosts Italy got past last year’s bronze winners with a third period goal by Chelsea Furlani.

The upsets continued on the second match day. Latvia picked up their first loss of the tournament as Hungary won easily with Bernadett Nemeth and Nora Brgles had two points each, missing from the lineup was Andi Kiss, who was player of the game the day before.

“We played a complete game and everything went according to plan. We were able to play with four lines and everyone did what was asked of them as they all created scoring chances as well,” said Hungarian head coach Tibor Marton after the Latvian match. “A number of girls stepped up today and I noticed that the girls play very motivated against higher ranked opponents.”

China really dug themselves a hole after they lost their second game in two days this time to Kazakhstan, who had won promotion the previous season and were hoping to avoid relegation.

China had to wait until the third match day to pick up their first win, a 3-1 victory coming against the Netherlands. Hungary dispatched Kazakhstan in a 3-2 game that was much closer than expected. Latvia stayed within three points of group leaders Hungary with a win against Italy.

If Latvia wanted to win the gold they needed to win their last two matches and Hungary would need to lose their last two games, Hungary held the tiebreaker as they had defeated Latvia on the second match day.

The Latvians did their part as they defeated China 3-1, however, they would still need help from the host nation Italy. In the late game of the day Hungary jumped out to a 4-0 lead with four different goal scorers as Lili Pinter, Reka Dabasi, Bernadett Nemeth and Tifani Horvath all found the back of the net. Hungary would hold on to a 4-2 win as Italy came back with two goals. With the win Hungary had captured gold and promotion to the Division I Group A for the 2016/17 season.

“I have never been a part of such a World Championship where I received this much help from not only my defencemen but my forwards as well. The forwards blocked a number of shots and I was able to work real well with the defencemen,” said goalie Aniko Nemeth after the game.

Forward Reka Dabasi added “It wasn't easy but everyone played well all four lines, we were able to pick up the win just like we did the other three games and now we have picked up the gold.”

For the Hungarian women’s national team it will be the first trip to the Division I Group A after three years in the Division I Group B.

There was much still to be decided on the last match day even though Hungary and Latvia had locked in the top two spots in the group. Third place was still up for grabs with China, Italy and the Netherlands all trying to avoid relegation. China had defeated Hungary to stay in the group for next season and the Netherlands helped their chances with a win against Latvia, however, the faith of the Dutch was in the last game of the tournament.

Depending on the outcome of the game Italy could finish anywhere between third place and being relegated. They needed two points to stay in the group and three would give them the bronze. The Italians tied the game up in the third period. After a scoreless overtime period the game went to a shootout. It was 1-1 after three shooters meaning that the game would be decided by a sudden-death shootout. After three rounds, Kazakh shooter Zarina Tukhtieva missed high and Chelsea Furlani scored, keeping Italy in Division I and sending the Netherlands to Division II.

Slovak Television presented today the program for the upcomming world championships.

63 of the 64 matches will be broadcasted in our 2 national channels STV 1 and STV 2.

32 games will be broadcasted live and 31 in re-live right after each live match will be ended.

all 64 matches will be streamed and commented also online on slovak national television website, they will prepare 2 stream channels.

All slovak matches will be live also on slovak national radio.

STV will send 3 main commentators, 4 secondary commentators and reporters and 4 well known ex-players and already experienced co-commentators. also as traditionally during last years 1 our experienced video-analytic who will review and analyse the matches during the special studio between the different periods of the matches.

Also they will prepare some secondary programs, like "mix zona" and a stand up comedy program "predlženie" (overtime) a program where known humorists will glos the matches with humor.

and here the trailer of STV for the IIHF world championships 2016

pffff....

well, this was just a friendly and a test match, with many players which for sure, (and after what they showed those last 2 matches) for a million %! will not be selectioned for the final team roster, but still..this was a incredible shame that we had to endure...I just have no words..no comment

Really I wish to never! never! never have to experience again something like this, and will never see in my life again anymore such a embarrassing and dishonouring performance..

oh my goddness, what a disgrace!