website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

Is there an app that can provide results of all sports news....

Sports fans don't get the luxury of getting all their news and info in one platform..

Some app develops could take up the idea and make 1.....tie up the app with a sports development organization to make it financially sustainable

‪#‎Boxing‬
APB/WSB Olympic Qualification 
1 - ‪#‎81kg‬ pre QF - Dilbag Singh VS CIOBANU Petru (MDA) (Around 09:30 pm IST)
2 - ‪#‎52kg‬ QF - Gaurav Bidhuri VS FATYCH Maksym (UKR) (12:30 Am IST )
3 - ‪#‎69KG‬ QF - Neeraj Goyat VS TSAGKRAKOS Dimitrios Poulikos ( Around 2:00 AM IST )

1 hour ago, rohan sharma said:

‪#‎Boxing‬
APB/WSB Olympic Qualification 
1 - ‪#‎81kg‬ pre QF - Dilbag Singh VS CIOBANU Petru (MDA) (Around 09:30 pm IST)
2 - ‪#‎52kg‬ QF - Gaurav Bidhuri VS FATYCH Maksym (UKR) (12:30 Am IST )
3 - ‪#‎69KG‬ QF - Neeraj Goyat VS TSAGKRAKOS Dimitrios Poulikos ( Around 2:00 AM IST )

:fingers:

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

9 hours ago, Dolby said:

Regarding Swimming Qualification, below is the summary of the qualification procedure, as understood by me.

All swimmers with OQT are eligible to compete in Olympics as long as NOC limit per event is followed. After this FINA adds relay only swimmers (swimmers who are part of relay team as declared by NOCs and not part of any individual event). Next FINA keeps aside quotas for Universality places. Then FINA would start inviting swimmers from OST pool. This will be done based on rankings in individual events and not overall rankings, meaning that all first ranked eligible OST swimmers in each event would be selected first, then second and so on till total quota of 900 is reached. After this, FINA gives Universality quotas to nations with no qualified swimmer (max 1 swimmer per gender). FINA only guarantees that all nations with a swimmer at Kazan Championships will be represented at Rio. It does not guarantee that such nations will have swimmers of both genders at Olympics. Any swimmer who participated at World Championships is eligible for Universality quota. S/he does not need to reach OST to be selected. 

No Indian has reached OQT. I don't think any Indian is high enough in ranking to get invited on basis of OST timing. So, only chance of qualification is Universality quotas. Now, as stated above, we are guaranteed to have one swimmer. Most likely it would be male swimmer (higher ranking). Whether we have a female swimmer or not will be known only when FINA declares the universality quota. Regarding the male swimmer, there is some confusion over how male swimmer would be chosen. For London Olympics, Gagan Ullalmath was chosen in 1500m Freestyle, without him having achieved OST, ahead of couple of swimmers who had achieved OST. I am not sure whether FINA made that decision or Swimming Federation of India bungled up. So, we can't be sure about who will represent India till 5th July. 

thanks dolby ................ very clear as usual :yes....................

did we have any women swimmers at the world championships at kazan ? 

last time I remember the issue was this 

Viradhwal, Sandeep, Aaron and Sangvekar were ineligible to be considered for 'Universality' quota even though they had crossed the Olympic Selection Timing (OST). Their OST qualification rather made them ineligible for being considered under 'Universality' quota. hence Gagan who had competed in the World championships in the 800m but did not reach the OST was considered ................. Is this going to be the case this time ?

The other point is there is a limit of 2 per event for countries in each event so I am not sure how many such swimmers  are eligible under OST ( after removing the swimmers whose countries  have already reached the limit ) is there any such list ?

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

50 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

did we have any women swimmers at the world championships at kazan ? 

Yes. Shivani Kataria participated at Kazan in 50m and 100m Freestyle and hence is eligible for Universality place. 

last time I remember the issue was this 

Viradhwal, Sandeep, Aaron and Sangvekar were ineligible to be considered for 'Universality' quota even though they had crossed the Olympic Selection Timing (OST). Their OST qualification rather made them ineligible for being considered under 'Universality' quota. hence Gagan who had competed in the World championships in the 800m but did not reach the OST was considered ................. Is this going to be the case this time ?

There is nothing in the Qualification document stating that swimmers with OST ranking are ineligible for Universality quota. Also, the more I think about it the more I think FINA just accepts/rejects the application from NSF. It is NSF, who has to decide which swimmer to chose for Universality quota. But, I am not sure. 

The other point is there is a limit of 2 per event for countries in each event so I am not sure how many such swimmers  are eligible under OST ( after removing the swimmers whose countries  have already reached the limit ) is there any such list ?

No idea. 

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

Yes. Shivani Kataria participated at Kazan in 50m and 100m Freestyle and hence is eligible for Universality place. 

There is nothing in the Qualification document stating that swimmers with OST ranking are ineligible for Universality quota. Also, the more I think about it the more I think FINA just accepts/rejects the application from NSF. It is NSF, who has to decide which swimmer to chose for Universality quota. But, I am not sure. 

No idea. 

Thanks for the information about shivani ....I am still hopeful that we may have 2 swimmers then ................

Actually in 2012 this what was reported in the papers ...... based on why gagan was selected and not virdhawal ....... maybe it was the FINA rule that time ( and it has changed this time ) , or the newspaper is just blowing smoke or swimming federation sent out this press release as they had by mistake not sent the correct names ......everything is possible as far as goof ups go ..............

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/Not-much-expected-of-lone-Indian-swimmer-at-Olympics/articleshow/14994333.cms

Edited by nitinsanker