website statistics

Athletics 2016 Discussion Thread

panda

Michel Butter missed our marathon standard for Rio by 8 seconds earlier in the year. He might have gotten somewhat of a chance from our NOC if he performed great here, but he didn't. At least his reaction on TV now is that of a realistic athlete: "I would feel shit about missing Rio if I showed a great performance here, but I'm simply not ready for the Olympics and I would have no reason to run there anyway."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Майкл said:

She was let to compete because of all the endorsements she has, duh.

Mostly because she's apparently most of the time based outside Russia :p 

It shows by the way, a couple of days ago I was a little surprised to hear she speaks really good English :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

47 minutes ago, dcro said:

Kiplagatsson and Kiplagatsdottir for Iceland

Kiplagatyte for Lithuania

:d

Our country is actually very negative towards imports, so I don't see having a Kiplagat as a possibility in our near future. There was this case when we gave citizenship to an American figure skater and now she's dancing for another country. Since it was a very rare occasion for our country, now the general crowd of people feel betrayed and I think we will need another 10 years now for a possible import.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Mostly because she's apparently most of the time based outside Russia :p 

It shows by the way, a couple of days ago I was a little surprised to hear she speaks really good English :) 

Of course it played an important role in that decision as well, but let's face it - money makes the world go round :lol: 

I think I've heard her speaking English and I was as surprised as you were :d 

2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Our country is actually very negative towards imports, so I don't see having a Kiplagat as a possibility in our near future. There was this case when we gave citizenship to an American figure skater and now she's dancing for another country. Since it was a very rare occasion for our country, now the general crowd of people feel betrayed and I think we will need another 10 years now for a possible import.

How would a male Kiplagat possibly be named in Lithuania? Kiplagatautas? I guess Kiplagatyte would be only a female name? :p 

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What happened with Skujyte? I'm afraid the heptathlon and decathlon have gone by largely unnoticed inside my head, which is a shame because of course multi-eventers are the best athletes in the world.. 

Well, it all started with the Javelin Throw, where she threw 51+ metres on her final attempt, but it was not accepted, because the javelin didn't land correctly and that cost Skujytė around 100~ points. So we tried to appeal this decision, because the video footage showed that the javelin landed correctly, so there were three protests and all of them were declined, which of course ruined Skujytė's RIO chances, because she is not the best 800m. runner and our Javelin Throw coach that was accompanying our athletes filed a complaint of her own, because she also saw the footage and said that the javelin wouldn't have slided a few meters further, if it hadn't landed correctly and she even mentioned that the javelin was somewhere around 53 meters and that the judges started marking the javelin in a wrong place, but everything was declined and her final score was 45m. After all of this, she still decided to compete in 800m. to finish honourably in 7th-8th place, but after 150m. she felt a sting in her leg and said that the last thing she would want is to be carried out with a stretcher out of the stadium so she stopped running and limped away. Still, she was in good mood at the press conference, mentioned that a 2020 Olympics is physically impossible for her, but she would like to at least try and hang on for the 2017 season.

2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Well, it all started with the Javelin Throw, where she threw 51+ metres on her final attempt, but it was not accepted, because the javelin didn't land correctly and that cost Skujytė around 100~ points. So we tried to appeal this decision, because the video footage showed that the javelin landed correctly, so there were three protests and all of them were declined, which of course ruined Skujytė's RIO chances, because she is not the best 800m. runner and our Javelin Throw coach that was accompanying our athletes filed a complaint of her own, because she also saw the footage and said that the javelin wouldn't have slided a few meters further, if it hadn't landed correctly and she even mentioned that the javelin was somewhere around 53 meters and that the judges started marking the javelin in a wrong place, but everything was declined and her final score was 45m. After all of this, she still decided to compete in 800m. to finish honourably in 7th-8th place, but after 150m. she felt a sting in her leg and said that the last thing she would want is to be carried out with a stretcher out of the stadium so she stopped running and limped away. Still, she was in good mood at the press conference, mentioned that a 2020 Olympics is physically impossible for her, but she would like to at least try and hang on for the 2017 season.

Is there any chance for her to be given a WC or something? I mean, she's a worldclass athlete, Olympics medalist, I think she's deserved it.

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How would a male Kiplagat possibly be named in Lithuania? Kiplagatautas? I guess Kiplagatyte would be only a female name? :p 

Kiplagauskas, Kiplagatkauskas or Kiplagatauskys for a male. Kiplagauskienė/Kiplagatkauskienė/Kiplagatienė if married, Kiplagauskytė/Kiplagatauskaitė/Kiplagatytė/Kiplagataitė if not married would be the logical options for a Lithuanian Kiplagat :d

4 minutes ago, Werloc said:

That's really, really sad..

On the other hand, at least it looks like that javelin scandal didn't cost her her Rio chances in the end, as she got injured in the 800 apparently.. 

3 minutes ago, Майкл said:

Is there any chance for her to be given a WC or something? I mean, she's a worldclass athlete, Olympics medalist, I think she's deserved it.

No, there haven't been any talks about a possible wild card. She has already said goodbye to her Rio dreams. I still can't believe that after what happened to her at the 2012 Olympics (She is still waiting for the decision in which she would get the bronze medal at the Olympics, because the Russian was also doped and of course the doping agency that kept Skujytė for over 5 hours in the doping centre after the first day of competition when she needed to eat and rest) and now the EC with the javelin, it's hard to believe how she can still keep a smile on her face, she's a very strong woman, a commendable athlete and she will be one of my favourite Lithuanian athletes of all time, because she was really the person that developed my love for athletics back in 2004 when I was still 9 years old.