website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

16 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I’m watching Discovery for almost everything too but always switch the RTÉ for an Irish final to get post race interviews and such.

I switch between RTE and BBC and usually have a stream going in the background too

For important events it’ll depend on the commentary team. I like BBC’s swimming team for example 

9th for Finn Lynch in his opening race, not a bad start to the regatta. Lost a couple of spots on the last downwind leg but 9th is a solid opener. Main thing in this huge boat class is to be consistent throughout and that gets rewarded.

1 hour ago, dodge said:

I switch between RTE and BBC and usually have a stream going in the background too

For important events it’ll depend on the commentary team. I like BBC’s swimming team for example 

The BBC swimming commentary for Wiffen's race was excellent to be fair. They understood the strengths and weaknesses of the top competitors really well, particularly impressive considering they need that level of knowledge for 30+ events, and that massively aided their description of the race compared to Discovery, or the RTE commentary which I have seen since.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

He’s beyond awful and for someone who is supposed to have insider knowledge, he doesn’t have any realistic perception about the other crews around the world and his default is always that Ireland are gonna win and bet your house on it. So frustrating listening to that guff, imagine if that was BBC doing the same for their athletes, we’d be rightly calling out the BS.

I remember at the start of the last Olympics in Tokyo he called it that we'd win 4 gold medals in rowing 😂😂

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, duineeile said:

I remember at the start of the last Olympics in Tokyo he called it that we'd win 4 gold medals in rowing 😂😂

Taking the Irish public for mugs. I always liked Neville Maxwell’s insights. He was always balanced and never far off the mark with his predictions and gave a realistic opinion of Irish chances.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Looked like they had taken a different line to the other boats heading to the second mark, but I couldn't tell if they had made up places or were still struggling at the back. Probably just as well it was abandoned on balance.