website statistics

Men's Cricket ICC T20 World Cup 2024

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I assume the US team was full of naturalised Asians or players born in USA to Indian or Pakistani parents? :mumble:

It's a mix. Of the 15 man squad, about 8-9 are naturalised Indians, Pakistani or South Africans. Then another 4 or 5 are US born to Asian or Caribbean parents. And finally there is the Kiwi, Corey Anderson, who is probably the most famous of the squad. He married a Texan and moved there a few years back I believe.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I assume the US team was full of naturalised Asians or players born in USA to Indian or Pakistani parents? :mumble:

Only one guy Steven Taylor is a home-grown cricketer born to Jamaican parents. He represented USA in 2010 U-19 World Cup.

Edited by Siddhartha Talukdar

I confess that I wonder about this.

Cricket had a large corruption problem and Pakistani players aren't paid much compared to ,say  ,India (India won't allow Pakistanis to play in the huge money IPL)

India  is about 85% of the total money in cricket and is desperate to make cricket a bigger deal game.

Connect the dots.

There is plenty of history of foul play involving players looking for money.

Much sport is questionable these days.

Sadly.

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

Cricket had a large corruption problem and Pakistani players aren't paid much compared to ,say  ,India (India won't allow Pakistanis to play in the huge money IPL)

India  is about 85% of the total money in cricket and is desperate to make cricket a bigger deal game.

Connect the dots.

Sadly.

I mean, Pakistan has a history of being upset in world cups. They are the definition of a mercurial team - can be great one day and then awful the next.

Also, if they really wanted the game thrown to interest more US folks, they could have not run it as close as it was. Not to mention, they probably could have paid a better TV channel to increase the eyes on the tournament in the US.

I understand what you are saying, I just think it is the latest in the line of weird Pakistan performances. And a US team motivated to perform on home soil.

3 hours ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Only one guy Steven Taylor is a home-grown cricketer born to Jamaican parents. He represented USA in 2010 U-19 World Cup.

There's only Taylor who would qualify as wholly developed by the US.

But there's 4-5 of them who were born in the US and have moved around before settling back in the States. Then there are several others who moved to the US as teenagers and have been involved in the US team for a good number of years. It's nowhere near as 'mercenary' as I expected it could be.

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

Connect the dots.

Sadly.

Ahh the 90s kid mindset that every second match is fixed!!

Just now, Epic Failure said:

There's only Taylor who would qualify as wholly developed by the US.

But there's 4-5 of them who were born in the US and have moved around before settling back in the States. Then there are several others who moved to the US as teenagers and have been involved in the US team for a good number of years. It's nowhere near as 'mercenary' as I expected it could be.

I really hope for Cricket's survival and popularity that it grows in the US. In my opinion if Cricket has to grow it has to be popular in advanced economies like Western Europe, Mainland North America and Eastern Asia.
I wish for an 8 team tournament in the 2028 Olympics instead of the rumoured 6 where we have the host nation and one each for the 5 ICC zones - Americas, Africa, Asia, Europe and East-Pacific. I believe none of the Caribbean countries rarely qualify in team events. Imagine a huge contingent boost for countries like Jamaica, Barbados or Guyana