website statistics

Team GB at 2024 Olympic Qualifier Series Road to Paris 2024

53 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I mention the rugby simply because 1) it was the same weekend as Budapest anyway and 2) the attendance in Monaco was, frankly, pretty pathetic. The players deserved more. There must have been a football stadium somewhere in Budapest they could have stuck a couple of sets of posts up in!

Attendances at seven's is, increasingly, a bit pathetic - it's become too sanitised and robotic, and the format too same-y.

6 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Attendances at seven's is, increasingly, a bit pathetic - it's become too sanitised and robotic, and the format too same-y.

This is why I think the switch to 9s is needed. Simpler rules, quicker pace, more tries, better quality of players as all the top RL players would play in it and better attendances as RL has way better attendances at international matches than Sevens. Schedule won't be an issue either as the SL and NRL seasons could be started a couple weeks earlier to accommodate for the games, with the qualifiers either being held during one of the international breaks or when the season has finished. 

Just now, Cinnamon Bun said:

This is why I think the switch to 9s is needed. Simpler rules, quicker pace, more tries, better quality of players as all the top RL players would play in it and better attendances as RL has way better attendances at international matches than Sevens. Schedule won't be an issue either as the SL and NRL seasons could be started a couple weeks earlier to accommodate for the games, with the qualifiers either being held during one of the international breaks or when the season has finished. 

There's about six countries play it, CB. IRL have just contracted the world cup back to 10 teams, and the next would be hosts pulled out.

Not a chance that's gonna happen.

And much as i can enjoy the odd game of League, if ever a sport had a same-y issue, it's RL. No competition for the ball, just roll, run, bang, standup, roll, run, bang, standup, roll, run, bang, standup,  kick...repeat.

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

There's about six countries play it, CB. IRL have just contracted the world cup back to 10 teams, and the next would be hosts pulled out.

Not a chance that's gonna happen.

And much as i can enjoy the odd game of League, if ever a sport had a same-y issue, it's RL. No competition for the ball, just roll, run, bang, standup, roll, run, bang, standup, roll, run, bang, standup,  kick...repeat.

Yes the international game is a mess right now with the IRL destroying the World Cup and the finances not being there, but if it were to be invited into the games in 2032 I think it'd be more successful than Sevens. 

You'd be able to do a 12-16 team tournament fairly comfortably with the following countries: 

Men: GB, New Zealand, Fiji, Australia, Samoa, Tonga, Lebanon, Ireland, South Africa, Jamaica, France, Papua New Guinea (Italy, Cook Islands, Serbia and Greece if 16)

Women: GB, New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, Papua New Guinea, France, Ireland, Canada, Brazil, Kenya, Greece, Philippines (Serbia, Tonga, Italy and Malta if 16) 

The 13s players would be able to transfer easily over to 9s with the games being similar and the attendances would be higher as people have more of an appetite for League than they do Sevens. 

Also, at least League allows for creativity in attacking plays unlike Union which is basically just pass, hit, ruck repeat before having a kick-off and only kicking penalties for the whole match. One of the reasons why I hate watching Union, even though I'm a big rugby fan. 

As someone who loves both League and Union equally, there's not a chance in hell of an Olympic 9s tournament happening unless Australia forced it in 2032 and then it would promptly be dropped as soon as 2036 comes around. There's more chance of flag football establishing a long term hold than 9s.

7s has its issues with marketing etc but it is a growing competitive sport in a code of rugby which is itself growing. As much as it depresses me, League is essentially dying outside of the NRL.

Also, international RL matches might have better attendance than 7s, but that doesn't mean 9s would. It's not like the XV-a-side game struggles for crowds internationally!

Edited by Epic Failure

32 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

As someone who loves both League and Union equally, there's not a chance in hell of an Olympic 9s tournament happening unless Australia forced it in 2032 and then it would promptly be dropped as soon as 2036 comes around. There's more chance of flag football establishing a long term hold than 9s.

7s has its issues with marketing etc but it is a growing competitive sport in a code of rugby which is itself growing. As much as it depresses me, League is essentially dying outside of the NRL.

Also, international RL matches might have better attendance than 7s, but that doesn't mean 9s would. It's not like the XV-a-side game struggles for crowds internationally!

I don't love them equally, being from Ireland, but I do like a bit of league, genuinely. The loyalty of its fan base is amusing, but also touching. I personally suspect there's a strong chance a Brisbane Games will try and ;aunch a 'nine's' on us - perhaps as a direct replacement for flag football. Its one advantage may be its weakness - lack of sides allows for a small 6-8 team comp : AUS, NZL, GBR, FRA, TON, SAM, LEB, USA

If it survives, it might be worth investigating nines as a CWG sport, at least get on the radar.

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

You are right about the sport dying out. Whilst the NRL are playing season openers in America we're struggling to even get a TV contract for next season. However, I think if 9s were to get in for 2032 then it would give the sport the global boost it so desperately needed.

The smaller team sizes actually suits League better, as the players are used to being creative during attacking plays and the reduction in team sizes would allow them to be even more creatives - which creates a more pleasant and enjoyable viewing experience. 

Quotas should be a problem as 12 teams each should be sufficient, although if Netball gets added then a men's tournament may only be needed. If the IRL had any brains then after the next world cup, whenever that may be, then they should focus a good chunk of their resources developing the 9s game so that there's a foundation is there for 2028 when the sports are decided as the global reach 9s would get at the games could be the sole thing that prevents the sport from becoming extinct. 

Also in terms of the crowd, because of how similar 13s is to 9s, fans would treat it like the world cup (if promoted and marketed correctly of course). 

1 hour ago, Epic Failure said:

Lebanon don't need to be in there, we don't need an Aussie B team. :PNG  would be the obvious replacement, it's their national sport. Also, replace the US with Fiji. Job done.

Won't work for IOC then. Lebanon Aussies may annoy, but the bottom line is their purported representation of Middle East Africa would be vital to get the sport across the universality line. Same will apply to cricket by the way. mark my words, Asia will be frustrated at limitations.

The reason 7's works for IOC is they can point to Argentina, South Africa, Japan, Australia, Fiji, Ireland, France and GBR and USA, Canada in womens.

Cricket, if it has to, can point to Jamaica, South Africa, GBR, India, Australia

Global. 

GBR, FRA + PNG, FIJI, AUS, NZL, TON, SAM does not have a chance in hell of being accepted.

Edited by mpjmcevoy