website statistics

GB Athletics

Keely and Josh with huge wins! PBs for Neil Gourley (4th) and Jake in 5th too. Tactics in Paris are going to be so interesting. Jakob might just have to lead it out and hope he can out toughen Josh or else can see both Brits out kicking him if it’s relatively slow.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Pretty much a full strength squad except for the middle distance men. Didn’t expect KJT. Interesting that Reekie is doing the 1500m. 

KJT announced a while back she was doing it.

A little surprised, given they were selected, that Bianca Williams and Amy Hunt arenot runing the individual 200m

Edited by mpjmcevoy

4 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

KJT announced a while back she was doing it.

A little surprised, given they were selected, that Bianca Williams and Amy Hunt arenot runing the individual 200m

I can’t see Bianca Williams on the list anywhere? 

41 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Pretty much a full strength squad except for the middle distance men. Didn’t expect KJT. Interesting that Reekie is doing the 1500m. 

A few strange omissions from this. First of all no 4x400 women's relay is a bit odd, there are more than enough athletes there to make up one with 1 or 2 reserves. The lack of field athletes once again is startling, I'd have thought Ugen, Clarke-Khan and Walton would've been selected at least on a wildcard basis. But the biggest omission of them all has got to be Jade Lally, hitting the standard 9 times and being ranked 14th in Europe not getting you in is nothing short of a disgrace - and I doubt she'd have rejected it as she enters and attends everything. 

On 5/25/2024 at 11:31 PM, RussB said:

Keely and Josh with huge wins! PBs for Neil Gourley (4th) and Jake in 5th too. Tactics in Paris are going to be so interesting. Jakob might just have to lead it out and hope he can out toughen Josh or else can see both Brits out kicking him if it’s relatively slow.

Jakob MIGHT be tempted to make it REALLY slow to try and spook the Brits into worrying about the rest of the field, which will contain a few real kickers, and thus take it out themselves, but that doesn't really help Jakob if Josh and Jake double team him. More likely, I think is that Jakob gambles he's still the fastest overall, and takes it out on a near suicidal pace, try and burn off the Scots. the problem being that this tactic works in paced races where someone takes the wind for you for 800 metres, and you don't lose any more energy than those on your shoulder, but in a non-paced champs race, the guy in front gets the wind.

As for Keely, the issue now is how to factor in Mu. "Run her own race" is obviously the plan for Moraa, but that might not work v Mu - moreover, if Mu positions on Moraa's shoulder, can Keely let them BOTH go just to keep her race? A danger that Keely comes screaming past Moraa on the bend only to find Mu already gone...