website statistics

Team Canada at the 2024 World Aquatics Championships Road to Paris 2024

On 2/4/2024 at 1:48 AM, Josh said:

Don’t see us qualifying any athletes in open water this time around. Sure, Finlin is 6 seconds away from the OQS in the women’s 1500m freestyle, so not too far away but I don’t see it happening. What a terrible Olympic qualification period we’ve had so far.

Well that was a quick turnaround… :yikes:

Emma Finlin has officially qualified for Paris after getting the reallocated Oceania quota :cheer::woohoo:

Edited by Josh

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

Emma Finlin has officially qualified for Paris, as some of the NOCs declined their Olympic quotas :cheer::woohoo:

Not exactly, the quota was reallocated to the highest ranked nation which has not qualified an athlete. Since it was originally a continental quota it followed those properties.

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

Emma Finlin has officially qualified for Paris, as Mexico declined their Olympic quota :cheer::woohoo:

I am glad to see that my initial quota analysis was correct! Somehow every media outlet got it wrong and I believed them :lol:

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Not exactly, the quota was reallocated to the highest ranked nation which has not qualified an athlete. Since it was originally a continental quota it followed those properties.

Mexico is still listed as having earned a women’s quota? So I don’t believe you’re right. 

4 hours ago, Josh said:

20-5 win for Canada over Great Britain to improve to 2-0 in women’s waterpolo pool play! Big game coming up against Italy, a win would advance them directly through to the quarterfinals where they would most likely play Greece. A loss, and a likely visit with New Zealand in the playoffs, followed by a likely visit with Spain in the quarterfinals. So not a path we’d want to take. 

Let’s take down Italy then :D

There's positives and negatives in finishing 1st or 2nd in the group. Finishing 1st gives us an easier path to the semis which means we'll very likely make the Olympics.

On the other hand if we do lose in the quarterfinals then our 5th-8th opponent will likely be the loser of Netherlands/Hungary while if we finish second in the group then our opponent will be Australia. I imagine we'll need a minimum a top 6 finish to qualify to the Olympics.

Regardless, we'll probably need to defeat Hungary or Italy to qualify to the Olympics so it'll be either now or later.