website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

As a non European member on this forum, away from all politics

I loved :UKR nomination. 
It was brilliant both the performance as well as the song . 
I am surprised how :SUI topped with that song. 

I thought Ukraine's was really good this year too and they thoroughly deserved to finish top 5. In terms of the winner, I thought Croatia's was better than Switzerland and deserved to win. Also fancied a trip to Zagreb next year :p:p.

Posted (edited)

Moving swiftly on to next year's contest, I hope we can get back above 40 countries and return to how things were at Liverpool 2023. Here are my predictions for which countries will come in and out: 

In: :KOS :MON :ROU :MKD:MNE:BUL

Out: :ISR :SWE - Martin Osterdaal

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

39 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Moving swiftly on to next year's contest, I hope we can get back above 40 countries and return to how things were at Liverpool 2023. Here are my predictions for which countries will come in and out: 

In: :KOS :MON :ROU :MKD:MNE:BUL

Out: :ISR :SWE - Martin Osterdaal

I think it's way too optimistic to predict that 6 countries will return, unfortunately. I think getting 2-3 more would be a step in the right direction.

Also, I doubt Sweden will withdraw unless there is some sort of mass withdrawal which includes many countries.

5 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

I think it's way too optimistic to predict that 6 countries will return, unfortunately. I think getting 2-3 more would be a step in the right direction.

Also, I doubt Sweden will withdraw unless there is some sort of mass withdrawal which includes many countries.

6 countries is probably a bit optimistic, although :ROU:MKD and :MNE look like they might have enough money to re-enter next year. :KOS are also said to be joining as they have the foundations set and all they need is the EBU to accept their broadcaster as a full member. :MON are also heavily interested in returning, and the successful return of Luxembourg this year definitely helps that cause. :BUL is more of a realistic hope than anything, and their participation is pretty much 50/50 as they're communication on any form of Eurovision participation is extremely poor. 

I also didn't say Sweden would pull out next year. Sweden is the nationality of Martin Osterdaal, who I fully expect to resign from the EBU by tomorrow. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

6 countries is probably a bit optimistic, although :ROU:MKD and :MNE look like they might have enough money to re-enter next year. :KOS are also said to be joining as they have the foundations set and all they need is the EBU to accept their broadcaster as a full member. :MON are also heavily interested in returning, and the successful return of Luxembourg this year definitely helps that cause. :BUL is more of a realistic hope than anything, and their participation is pretty much 50/50 as they're communication on any form of Eurovision participation is extremely poor. 

I also didn't say Sweden would pull out next year. Sweden is the nationality of Martin Osterdaal, who I fully expect to resign from the EBU by tomorrow. 

I don't want to defend Österdahl but what Else than the decision to not ban Israel (which in that case means we need to remove most sport federation leaders too) or for the Netherlands incident where we don't know what happend? Of course if Netherösmds explaination is true it is a scandal but we should wait until we have the evidente and the policy report. If it is nothing serious the policy should drop this case very soon.

The last I heard was that the photographer that was "attacked" got her camera broken in the incident. At least that indicates some kind of physical behaviour and not only a gesture 

Edited by Swewi

23 hours ago, heywoodu said:

If there really was more to it, EBU or someone should really have come with some statement by now....it's 2 full days later, surely they could have told their side?

I guess it could affect the police investigation to go public directly with the footage and everything if it really is something serious.

58 minutes ago, Swewi said:

I don't want to defend Österdahl but what Else than the decision to not ban Israel (which in that case means we need to remove most sport federation leaders too) or for the Netherlands incident where we don't know what happend? Of course if Netherösmds explaination is true it is a scandal but we should wait until we have the evidente and the policy report. If it is nothing serious the policy should drop this case very soon.

The last I heard was that the photographer that was "attacked" got her camera broken in the incident. At least that indicates some kind of physical behaviour and not only a gesture 

He failed to punish the Israeli delegation members who were harassing pro Palestinian artists and journalists and also failed to punish those people for antagonising the Israeli delegation which caused them to fight back. Both sides broke multiple rules. If Israel ends up competing next year after this year's events then I think his job is well and truly gone as we can't have a repeat of this year again. I don't think they will though as I expect multiple broadcasters to threaten to pull out if Israel are allowed to compete next year. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Roamingrover86 said:

As a non European member on this forum, away from all politics

I loved :UKR nomination. 
It was brilliant both the performance as well as the song . 
I am surprised how :SUI topped with that song. 

Yeah I also liked :UKR , for me it's the only song that reached "really good" level in my ears. There are other good songs, but none came close to Ukraine.

Edited by Griff88