website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Just want to mention, that Google WILL NOT WIN the war they have started against Adblockers in youtube ! These piranha corporations never learn...

Has that started? I definitely use it on a daily basis and both on my laptop and desktop I don't remember seeing ads anywhere in the past months :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Has that started? I definitely use it on a daily basis and both on my laptop and desktop I don't remember seeing ads anywhere in the past months :p 

Yes, from a week now. Firstly they started with warnings, but today i've seen more aggressive approach with a pop-up, that you have only 3 videos, if you don't disable or pay, and then they will block the player.

I am working around it for now. What are you using?

33 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Just want to mention, that Google WILL NOT WIN the war they have started against Adblockers in youtube ! These piranha corporations never learn...

Advertisements are how they make revenue though. Honestly, asking people to watch a couple ads for what is essentially "free content" isn't a huge ask. The bigger problem, if you ask me, is what they pay creators (including those who don't qualify for partner programs, but nonetheless create original content). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Advertisements are how they make revenue though. Honestly, asking people to watch a couple ads for what is essentially "free content" isn't a huge ask. The bigger problem, if you ask me, is what they pay creators (including those who don't qualify for partner programs, but nonetheless create original content). 

Ааа yes, the billions and billions they make yearly couldn't be possible if they don't start squeezing even more the regular person... Get out !

The internet hasn't been free for a while, but in a few years it's going to become like the supermarket.

58 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Ааа yes, the billions and billions they make yearly couldn't be possible if they don't start squeezing even more the regular person... Get out !

The internet hasn't been free for a while, but in a few years it's going to become like the supermarket.

I guess my opinion will be different since I work in communications/journalism. People always talk about how they want more creative content, coverage of more events, or a more diversified content offering, yet they never want to pay subscriptions, view ads, or pay for newsletters. Reading an article, or watching a video might be free, but production isn't. I'd love nothing more than to publish articles, podcasts, interviews, etc. all day, but I can't make a living doing that for free.

It really sucks when people use ad blockers or read articles/view media on platforms other than where they were originally published. It decreases a outlet's revenue and it hurts the metrics used to measure interest in that particular media (or eyeballs brought to the platform). It can have a huge affect on the employment of people working in the entertainment/communications/journalism fields.

Of course, I don't want to excuse the greediness of major media companies because they do make a lot of money already. I also don't enjoy having to view a bunch of advertisements or pay subscription fees that seem to be rising in cost every year now. I just have a greater appreciation for why, a some level, that might be necessary to support people who create content I do enjoy.

I'm not perfect about supporting content creators by any means either. I too view movie clips on YouTube, or read articles on other platforms. I do, however, have a informed appreciation of how that might hurt the people making that content.

I do firmly believe that content should be fairly priced, with the user experienced unhindered by advertisements or other pop ups. I understand the frustration people have with the industries I work in, the monetization models aren't ideal in many cases, I just want people to be better advocates for content creators and consider how their online habits can affect someone's livelihood. 

Hopefully that all makes sense.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Yes, from a week now. Firstly they started with warnings, but today i've seen more aggressive approach with a pop-up, that you have only 3 videos, if you don't disable or pay, and then they will block the player.

Actually not sure, it's so long ago since I set it up, I forgot :d

I believe it's a fairly simple browser extension, I know I'm not using specific hardware or anything. Let me get back to you when I'm with my desktop again.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 hours ago, Federer91 said:

AdGuard on my laptop (the green icon), Adblock Plus on my desktop (the red ABP icon), didn't know I'm apparently using two different ones :d 

Both as extension in Edge and as far as I know both are free.

Edited by heywoodu

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

AdGuard on my laptop (the green icon), Adblock Plus on my desktop (the red ABP icon), didn't know I'm apparently using two different ones :d 

Both as extension in Edge and as far as I know both are free.

Interesting, i was using both in Opera and they were detected. I am now on uBlock in Firefox and it works for now. Guess Edge is a safe browser too.