website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics FIG World Cup 2020

Totallympics

Today, Latvia earned their first-ever medal in women's artistic gymnastics and Austria got their first-ever gold medal at the World Cup/World Challenge Cup circuit.

But I am thoroughly impressed with Serbia. Some of the scores were quite decent, especially on parallel bars and horizontal bar. If they keep up improving like this, in a few years they might be a real threat at the World Championships. Last time Serbian gymnasts performed so well internationally was in 2006, when Milos Paunovic earned a bronze medal on vault at the 2006 Maribor World Cup. No medals this year, but Serbians still left a lasting impression here, no question about it!

And, of course, I am very impressed with Matvei Petrov. His only medal at the World Cup was earned in 2010 when he still competed for Russia. He decided to retire and become a coach in Czech Republic, and the owner of the gym where he coaches is Albanian. He was asked to represent Albania and then maybe he could go to the Olympics with a wild card, and not only he's the favorite for the wild card, he got a medal in an official FIG competition representing Albania. Really, this is the best story of 2020 so far. I'm really happy for him.