website statistics

Tennis ITF Wimbledon 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Just now, Monzanator said:

:UKR Elina Svitolina takes out Victoria Azarenka 2-6 6-4 7-6(9) and she got some applause for that. Azarenka got loud boos :cool:

i didn't watch the end of match what happened , Svitolina as always refused to shake hands or it was Azarenka :d

7 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

i didn't watch the end of match what happened , Svitolina as always refused to shake hands or it was Azarenka :d

Obviously Svitolina didn't, Azarenka went straight to the chair since obviously she knew there will be no handshake and there was only a hand wave between them. Anyway, Azarenka led 7-4 in STB and lost the next four points, Svitolina finished it with an ace on MP #2.

Martina Navratilova was in the BBC booth and didn't understand why the crowd boo'ed Azarenka. Geez, for someone who escaped a communist country she should know exactly what's going on. Unless that was so long ago maybe she forgot why she escaped Czechoslovakia to begin with?

31 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Obviously Svitolina didn't, Azarenka went straight to the chair since obviously she knew there will be no handshake and there was only a hand wave between them. Anyway, Azarenka led 7-4 in STB and lost the next four points, Svitolina finished it with an ace on MP #2.

Martina Navratilova was in the BBC booth and didn't understand why the crowd boo'ed Azarenka. Geez, for someone who escaped a communist country she should know exactly what's going on. Unless that was so long ago maybe she forgot why she escaped Czechoslovakia to begin with?

i watched the end of the match and i don't find any reason for this booing , Azarenka for me is even an American more than Belarusian as she's living there since many years , she married an American and fought with him on American courts , so that some bullshit from fans , for Azarenka she did the right thing she knows very well that she won't shake hands so there is no point of going toward her and not shaking hands 

The British Wimbledon crowd was completely ignorant and rude with their treatment of Azarenka. I thought these people were supposed to know about tennis. Are they that oblivious?

This is why Sabalenka waited at the net in Paris for Svitolina. I don't think anyone should be booed in these sensitive situations, but definitely not the players who actually want to shake hands!

2 hours ago, thepharoah said:

i watched the end of the match and i don't find any reason for this booing , Azarenka for me is even an American more than Belarusian as she's living there since many years , she married an American and fought with him on American courts , so that some bullshit from fans , for Azarenka she did the right thing she knows very well that she won't shake hands so there is no point of going toward her and not shaking hands 

Well, Azarenka has made so many millions by now that she can afford to live whenever she wants to. But she started out as Lukashenka's protegee and received significant loans from one of Belarussian businessmen (Peftiev) who has long sponsored various tennis players. There are more layers to this story but under no condition Azarenka should be considered an American (though her son has citizenship since he was born in USA) ;)