website statistics

Fencing at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

5 out of the 6 Hungarian teams in the Top4 at the Euros. It could always be better, but I can't complain, we didn't mess up our qualification chances here in a major way. Now let's collect some medals today. 

Edited by Vektor

19 hours ago, Vektor said:

@phelps How do you feel about men's epee tomorrow? I wasn't paying that much attention during the World Cup, so I am not sure what happened with :ITA and :FRA at the last two events. I am guessing we will be back to normal, with hopefully Hungary also performing as expected now that Siklósi doesn't have injury problems. 

:FRA got an apparently dangerous :NED to deal with + :CZE can also cause issues

:ITA has to defeat :UKR, who have seen better days in men's epee

:HUN will face off against :ESP once again, they beat us at the previous World Cup event, we have to win this time

:SUI will have to prove against :ISR that they are among the favorites for the quotas

well, I think in Istanbul we missed Santarelli a lot.

he's the main horse in our team.

meanwhile Vismara and Di Veroli are still young and sometimes they can pull out a miracle, but they can also have a very bad day (which was the case in the first WC stage of the OQT).

and also their style of always playing at a slow pace (therefore making close every match, also those with opponents that on paper should not be a problem) is not helping.

however, if there's a team at risk of missing the qualification, that's the men's epee. 

even a 3rd place today won't be a good result, tbh.

Edited by phelps

finally, :ITA beat :FRA and won the Bronze medal in the men's Epee, which means that we won a medal in each and every team event (2x Gold, 3x Bronze and 1 more gold or a silver later in the women's sabre).

this is definitely a great result just before the Home World Champs, but there's also a dark side: the OQR of at least a couple of weapons, where we are provisionally out of the Games :facepalm:

men's Epee OQR after 1 World cup stage and the Continental Champs (with the GMM of the EGs still to be contested)

1 :KAZ 116
2/5 :HUN 96/84
2/3 :JPN 94
3/4 :EGY 88
4/7 :SUI 87/75
5/6 :VEN 84
6/7 :KOR 80
8 :NED 72
9 :ITA 65
10 :ESP 64
10 :FRA 64
12 :ARG 62
13 :COL 60
13 :MAR 60
15 :CAN 59
16 :CZE 52
17 :CHN 50
18 :RSA 48
19 :HKG 44
20 :GER 45
21 :UKR 40
22 :POL 34
23 :ISR 33
XX :USA  8

:KAZ are still well in command, but behind them it's quite a mess, with 6 more teams in the space of 16 points or less (position depends on the EGs GMM) and the big guns :ITA and :FRA still in 9th and 10th place respectively with 20+ points disadvantage from the top 4 of the OQR.

to be noticed, also the :USA down the rankings with only 8 points overall after the black card they got at the Panamerican Champs and the poor outing in Istanbul.

Edited by phelps

Well done girls, we needed this bronze a lot in women's sabre because who the fuck knows what comes next at the Worlds. This is probably the best outcome we could have hoped for now that Márton is injured again and Pusztai isn't having a good season. 

Just now, Federer91 said:

Can someone explain the rules of fencing to me again. :d I saw a dozen times in our match against Hungary, fencer A' light blinking first, but then fencer B got the point? 

It doesn't matter which light comes first. If both light come up, the attacker gets the points. Who's the attacker? Welp, that's the real question most of the time in sabre because it happens really fast. It's easier to tell when it's a parry-riposte, but even that can be hard to see at times. At times it depends on who initiated the attacked one tiny moment earlier and even the refs need slomo video to decide that.