website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Hey, don’t take subtle swipes at my boy @Vojthas like that. Laser rifles can hit targets just the same, and their eco-friendly. (Disclaimer: I’m not in favor of switching to laser rifles, I just see the argument for it)

Yeah...the issue isn't that laser rifles can't hit the target :p It's (partially, but mainly) that they take away huge part of the skill needed for shooting.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yep, Steamboat Springs is dead and Iron Mountain hasn't done any improvements since 1996. It's a miracle it hasn't ended like Harrachov yet.

Iron Mountain stays opened because the Free Ski community likes to use it for insane stunts. In fact they went so far as to repair parts of the hill a few years ago. 

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Werloc said:

They cannot remove pursuits and such, because you needn't forget that IBU cup is not only a qualification competition, but it is also the gateway for younger, less experienced athletes from larger nations such as Norway, Germany, France etc. that would be sent off to the World Cup level, get a 35th place in the sprint and would have 0 pursuit competition experience compared to athletes that have long been on the tour.

For example, Lithuanians ALWAYS go backwards in every single pursuit that they participate. Why? Mostly because we never qualify to them, so pacing problems, shooting problems, all of that really can be seen in a technical race such as the pursuit. And most especially that's the only HEAD to HEAD practice if you can't qualify to the mass start and in relays, the second leg from smaller nations is usually already out of it, so you're on the shooting range with two other people at best.

Another point is that you can't overcrowd IBU cup with individuals either, because athletes from smaller nations would just die on the course. People lose 7 minutes in the sprint, seeing yourself 22 minutes behind in 104th place would not really inspire you to compete further. 

I think I know that fairly well by now :p 

And I get and agree with your point about the pursuits, but it seems like they're adding more and more. IBU Cup gets changed into some sort of testing grounds and even from there qualifying for World Cups is being made harder. It's the only way to qualify though..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah...the issue isn't that laser rifles can't hit the target :p It's (partially, but mainly) that they take away huge part of the skill needed for shooting.

How so? (I’m not really aware of the issue there)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Iron Mountain stays opened because the Free Ski community likes to use it for insane stunts. In fact they went so far as to repair parts of the hill a few years ago. 

Ski jumping is way bigger in Poland than USA. Reports are 2020 could have been the last year of FIS Cup events. Climbing the hill by foot shouldn't take place in XXI century. Without the elevator Iron Mountain has no chance of hosting World Cup events anytime soon. Someone who preaches change should embrace that.

If you want "insane stunts" rather than World Cup that's your choice. I bet incidents of people breaking legs or necks won't make the global news though.

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

How so? (I’m not really aware of the issue there)

Wind tends to affect laser light less than a physical bullet, for example.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Have you ever heard of split rounds in biathlon? :p

The amount of times I've gotten a message saying this or that miss was "on the edge" is uncountable :d At least that wouldn't be an issue with laser rifles, or less so, but I doubt that's a good thing.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think I know that fairly well by now :p 

And I get and agree with your point about the pursuits, but it seems like they're adding more and more. IBU Cup gets changed into some sort of testing grounds and even from there qualifying for World Cups is being made harder. It's the only way to qualify though..

Well, the World Cup I think has less pursuits this year, but really a fuck tonne of relays that I would definitely cut down on to add one more individual or do something like a single-mixed concept with 30 athletes starting with short skiing intervals and 4 prone + 4 standing shootings with 20 best qualifying, 5 qualifying that collected most points during that stage and 5 qualifying based on best shooting percentages. 

Just now, Werloc said:

Well, the World Cup I think has less pursuits this year, but really a fuck tonne of relays that I would definitely cut down on to add one more individual or do something like a single-mixed concept with 30 athletes starting with short skiing intervals and 4 prone + 4 standing shootings with 20 best qualifying, 5 qualifying that collected most points during that stage and 5 qualifying based on best shooting percentages. 

Yeah relays are weird. I mean, biathlon has way too many, cross-country barely has any. They could just meet in the middle.