website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

30 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

explain what the point of football being in the oympics is,the pros don't even play there,and football does not need the olympics whatsoever,Modern pentathlon does.Football can go,boxing can go.

Oh I have no interest in men's football remaining in the Olympics :p Fine for women, but a junior event...no thanks.

But to be fair, if modern pentathlon needs the Olympics to basically keep existing, modern pentathlon might not be an interesting enough sport in a broad sense...and yes, I know that goes for more sports.

Anyhow, I don't hope modern pentathlon will be out of the Olympics. I hope it stays, there isn't really any sport of which I genuinely hope it will be out, I just have sports I'd prefer more than others if, gun to the head, choices need to be made.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Oh I have no interest in men's football remaining in the Olympics :p Fine for women, but a junior event...no thanks.

But to be fair, if modern pentathlon needs the Olympics to basically keep existing, modern pentathlon might not be an interesting enough sport in a broad sense...and yes, I know that goes for more sports.

Anyhow, I don't hope modern pentathlon will be out of the Olympics. I hope it stays, there isn't really any sport of which I genuinely hope it will be out, I just have sports I'd prefer more than others if, gun to the head, choices need to be made.

It can exist without the olympics but the highest thing to be for someone who does that then is world champion,not the same level,obviously.I got your point,i need to point out tough You said it wouldn't  be unfair if it went......it would objectivly be extreamly unfair for it to go over something like boxing.Pentathlon has gone through hoops and demands one after another from the ioc to modernise,first from five days to one,[tough since rio it has gone back up to 2,less athletes competing,used to be 64 men competing up to 1992 for quite awhile[in what other sport did they demand for the amount of people competing to go down],the guns also changing several times till the current laser pistol era,the bonus fencing round,no matter how dumb i found that to beobviously the biggest change being the combined event of Running and shooting coming in the 2009 world cup season, [that has went from 3 laps of 1 km to four laps of 800 metres all for quicker wiewing] and debuting in London,which apparently went really well there,there now somehow trying to make the event go 90 minutes,how that will work i don't know,apparently it has not worked so far,there are now semifinals,instead of just qualification and finals.It has changed the most out of any sport in the olympics really,and again the event at the olympics that caused the latest dramas and split in the federation was overdramatized,changed for people who have never and will never watch the sport,and the obstacle course thing is a garbage replacement for riding,so no it being replaced after all of that would not be fair at all,and would be a spit to the face of all the athletes competing in that past and present and you cannot convince me otherwise. 

Edited by Sindo

50 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

It can exist without the olympics but the highest thing to be for someone who does that then is world champion,not the same level,obviously.I got your point,i need to point out tough You said it wouldn't  be unfair if it went......it would objectivly be extreamly unfair for it to go over something like boxing.Pentathlon has gone through hoops and demands one after another from the ioc to modernise,first from five days to one,[tough since rio it has gone back up to 2,less athletes competing,used to be 64 men competing up to 1992 for quite awhile[in what other sport did they demand for the amount of people competing to go down],the guns also changing several times till the current laser pistol era,the bonus fencing round,no matter how dumb i found that to beobviously the biggest change being the combined event of Running and shooting coming in the 2009 world cup season, [that has went from 3 laps of 1 km to four laps of 800 metres all for quicker wiewing] and debuting in London,which apparently went really well there,there now somehow trying to make the event go 90 minutes,how that will work i don't know,apparently it has not worked so far,there are now semifinals,instead of just qualification and finals.It has changed the most out of any sport in the olympics really,and again the event at the olympics that caused the latest dramas and split in the federation was overdramatized,changed for people who have never and will never watch the sport,and the obstacle course thing is a garbage replacement for riding,so no it being replaced after all of that would not be fair at all,and would be a spit to the face of all the athletes competing in that past and present and you cannot convince me otherwise. 

Well that's fine, nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree :d 

Mostly let's just hope all the mentioned sports stay on and we don't need this entire discussion of 'should X or Y go out?' at all.

Edited by Sindo

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well that's fine, nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree :d 

Mostly let's just hope all the mentioned sports stay on and we don't need this entire discussion of 'should X or Y go out?' at all.

Absolutely,do not mean any disrespect with my response,i'm just still passionate for this sport tough,even if the passion isn't as big as it was a few years ago,and i now hate the governing body of it.  

Edited by Biathlonfan

• 8 months later...