website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

40 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Here are Canadian athletes that are currently not with a qualifying time/distance or ranked high enough to qualify for Tokyo atm (note this list is not exhaustive). I did not include anyone in the women's 400m or Men's 100 as the top 5 in each distance is likely headed to Tokyo due to relays. I have also not included any event with 3 or more Canadians already qualified.

Men's 400m - Philip Osei and Austin Cole are likely going to be added to the mixed relay. Myles Misener-Daley is aiming for the individual race, but has had no recent results, so not sure. If we put the top 4 Canadian men in the 4x400 relay, I think they could hit a good time, but I think its too late for Tokyo.

Men's 1500m - Another solid result in the mid 3:30's will get Charles Philibert-Thiboutot into a ranking position to qualify. Kieran Lumb and William Paulson need a couple more results in the mid 3:30's to also make into a ranking spot. Lumb I think will end up qualifying in the 5000 as I do not expect Hughes to compete in this event in Tokyo. 

Men's 3000m steeplechase - Ryan Smeeton is going to need two times under 8:30 to qualify via the rankings.

Men's 110m hurdles - Joseph Daniels is not shown in the rankings, but he should be there shortly, as he has 5 races to be ranked. By my calculation he will be in a qualification position, but doesn't hurt to get a PB below 13:50 or less

Men's high jump - Django Lovett and Derek Drouin will both need the 2.33 standard to qualify this late. 

Men's pole vault - This is a mystery as I do not know what the latest is with Shawncy Barber. 

Men's discus - Jordan Young will need 4 more performances of 64.84+ metres to qualify. He had that earlier this year. 

Men's hammer - Adam Keenan has a PB of  74.71 in 2019. 5 of those performances would qualify him for Tokyo. He has not competed this season

Men's decathlon - 2010 World Junior bronze medalist in the Long Jump, Taylor Erhardt is aiming to qualify, and would be a third entrant in this event for Canada.

Women's 100m - A repeat performance from 2019 nationals at the 2021 edition for Leya Buchanan will see her qualify via rankings

Women's 400m hurdles - Noelle Montcalm, needs a top 2 finish at nationals + a good time (under 57 seconds) to qualify via rankings

Women's 3000m steeplechase - Alycia Butterworth would qualify via rankings with a repeat performance at nationals. Charlotte Prouse needs another sub 9:38 race to qualify.

Women's long jump - Christabel Netty is one spot out of the rankings qualification. A repeat performance at nations will jump her back into qualification. Hopefully she can find her form from a few years back, when she hit 6.99.

Women's triple jump - Caroline Ehrhardt will need the standard (14.32) to qualify, which is quite a distance from her PB.

Women's discus - Rachel Andres will need a repeat performance at nationals and at least another big throw to qualify. 

Women's heptathlon - Both Georgia Ellenwood and Niki Oudenaarden need a PB at Nationals (not sure if this event will be at nationals however)

Thanks for putting this together. Super interesting to see how things are coming together for this team. Did Jonathan Cabral retire in the m100mH?

22 minutes ago, james89 said:

Another 2016 medalist attempting a comeback - https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/kamloops-mountain-biker-olympian-motherhood-1.6037325

It seems like a pretty big challenge for her to be able to be named to the team, but impressive that she's trying.

Only 3 women meet the standard and 2 will go. She is one of the three 

11 hours ago, james89 said:

Thanks for putting this together. Super interesting to see how things are coming together for this team. Did Jonathan Cabral retire in the m100mH?

Yes I forgot about Cabral.... doesn't appear to be in the best form this season

So Athletics Canada has made the boneheaded decision to remove events from Nationals without athletes ranked in the Road to Tokyo rankings (at a maximum 20 spots from last qualifying position). This will exclude the men's hammer for ex. Adam Keenan was injured and is only coming back June 5 and can't go to nationals now. Dumb!

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

So Athletics Canada has made the boneheaded decision to remove events from Nationals without athletes ranked in the Road to Tokyo rankings (at a maximum 20 spots from last qualifying position). This will exclude the men's hammer for ex. Adam Keenan was injured and is only coming back June 5 and can't go to nationals now. Dumb!

This seems so stupid....

https://torontosun.com/sports/olympics/qualifying-for-tokyo-olympics-an-unprecedented-challenge-because-of-covid-19

An update on Team Canada for Tokyo. There are errors, A LOT of them actually, but for the most part its solid. The interesting bit is the taekwondo section, where they are waiting on a ruling for a wildcard (presumably for Yong)