website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker

Cyclists confirmed - Healy, Mullen and Armitage. We have our full team in place now!

Incidentally no photoshoot for the cyclists, I think the only sport that didn't have one. Wonder if there was an issue there and that contributed to the late announcement? Or if a late selection decision meant that no photoshoot was possible?

Edited by Cosmo Kramer

More than likely just availability. All 3 based outside of Ireland. Mullen and Armitage did the nationals a month or so ago so the selection must have been pretty recent 

If I could choose one of our outside chances to win a medal, it’d be Ben in the road race

Just saw a tweet there from Sinead Kissane showing county crests for all the athletes going to the games. Looks like a great geographical spread among the competitors. The only counties I couldn't see were Roscommon - but Aoife O'Rourke is from Castlerea - and Leitrim - but Dean Clancy boxes for a club in Manorhamilton. Which would mean that all 32 counties are effectively represented in the team if that's the case?

5 hours ago, dodge said:

They had all county crests and more available for each athlete to select. So we might see who Clancy chose (I suspect Sligo)

Sounds like another nice little nod to the Tailteann Games and the GAAs early role in athletics and Olympicism for Ireland,

Almost there, 48 hours from now the men's rugby team will already have played their first match.

Have to say I'm getting a little uncomfortable with how casually us winning 7 or 8 medals is getting bandied about in the Irish media. It's far from a foregone conclusion that we'll win that amount and if you asked me now I'd say we're more likely to win three than eight, though the total will more likely be somewhere in-between. There's so many unknowns and that's what makes it exciting. But last Saturday showed us the scale of the task ahead for Adeleke and it will be similar in every other event too. Any medals we get will have been hard won.

Yeah and seeing predictions of more medals which is mad. Only medal I would be almost certain of is lightweight mens double, which may not necessarily be gold. Boxing is completely unpredictable and most of our boxers wouldn't be favoured to win a medal bar O'Rourke and Harrington. McClenaghan might be one of the favourites in the pommel but one slip of a hand can end it all. Equestrian, rugby, golf very unpredictable. In athletics only real hope of a medal is Adeleke and that will not be easy either with the competition really upping their game coming into Paris. Other than men's double in rowing, I'm not sure any of the other crews than McCarthy/O'Donovan can medal but I hope I'm wrong. I do think Wiffen will win at least 1 medal, but overall if we ended with only 2 or 3 medals I wouldn't be that shocked to be honest.

2 minutes ago, dodge said:

Sports Illustrated predict 5

Gold for Rhys and the lightweight rowers

Silver for McIlroy

Bronze for Wiffen in 800 and 1500

The silver is silly, it's blooming golf ffs!

But the other 4 are civilised calls (though personally I'd rather they named Rhys for silver because of 'jinx' rules)

That said, I also think they've left a medal or two out in the field (I cannot see 10 boxers coming back with nothing) - it may also be a games of quite frustrating fourth places esp in equestrian, athletics etc

After lots of soul searching and thinking I am predicting our medal haul as 7.

1 Gold in Gymnastics

1 Gold in Boxing (the Rossie)

1 Silver in Rowing (lightweight double)

1 bronze inSwimming (1500m)

1 bronze in boxing ( 60kg women)

1 bronze in boxing ( 66kg women)

1 bronze in rowing ( mens double) 

4th Adeleke

4th Womens Pairs

4th 1500m swimming

2 last 8 in boxing

5th Rugby 7s men