website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker Road to Paris 2024

4 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Both Conor Ferguson and John Shortt failed to get OCT invites (or Swim Ireland refused) which seems strange as swimmers ranked below them were selected. Unless these swimmers were selected under the universality rule. Which is not in qualification document. 

Don’t believe any rankings posted here. The guy who did them thought relay athletes could enter any events they wanted. 

3 minutes ago, dodge said:

Don’t believe any rankings posted here. The guy who did them thought relay athletes could enter any events they wanted. 

I’m going by the rankings on World Aquatics. Shortt not selected while Morales (12) wasIMG_3009.png

7 minutes ago, dodge said:

Did Morales get a universality place? 

He’s the only PR male selected in swimming so they must give priority to universality when inviting OCT swimmers. But thats not in the qualifying rules. Morales should have been selected under universality rather than OCT. Same with Ferguson. I think our lads got shafted. 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Oldira said:

He’s the only PR male selected in swimming so they must give priority to universality when inviting OCT swimmers. But thats not in the qualifying rules. Morales should have been selected under universality rather than OCT. Same with Ferguson. I think our lads got shafted. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where do you see Morales was selected due to OCT? 

EDIT: I see the WA list now but he’s listed as universality for 100m back, so I think he got the invite because of that and is allowed race 200m because he has the B time 

Edited by dodge

Posted (edited)

The Olympic badminton draws took place today.

Men's Singles:

Nhat Nguyen (world rank 43) is in Group P alongside current Olympic champion and world number 2 Viktor Axelsen :DEN, Misha Zilberman :ISR (world rank 59) and Prince Dahal :NEP (world rank 172).

Only the group winner advances so not much chances for Nhat here against the formidable Axelsen, having not won a set against the Dane in two previous meetings but still, you never know. The winner of this group receives a bye to the quarter-finals.

Head-to-Heads courtesy of BWF

Nhat Nguyen :IRL 0-2 :DEN Viktor Axelsen

Time Tournament Draw   Score
Mon 8/21/2023 TotalEnergies BWF World Championships 2023 MS
Nhat Nguyen Ireland
-
Denmark Viktor Axelsen [1]
6-21 11-21
Thu 6/29/2023 2023 European Games MS
Nhat Nguyen Ireland
-
Denmark Viktor Axelsen

8-21 13-21

Nhat Nguyen :IRL 2-0 :ISR Misha Zilberman

Time Tournament Draw   Score
Wed 4/10/2024 2024 European Championships MS
Nhat Nguyen [7] Ireland
-
Israel Misha Zilberman
21-16 21-10
Wed 10/30/2019 5:40 PM SaarLorLux Open 2019 MS
Nhat Nguyen Ireland
-
Israel Misha Zilberman [2]
21-15 21-12

Nhat Nguyen :IRL 0-0 :NEP Prince Dahal

Women's Singles:

Rachael Darragh (world rank 69) is in Group L alongside 2016 Olympic champion and 3 times world champion Carolina Marin :ESP (world rank 4) and former Thai athlete Jenjira Stadelmann :SUI (world rank 101).

Rachael has never met either of her opponents in competition before but needless to say it would be a mammoth task for her to top the group ahead of the experienced Carolina Marin who is a medal favourite. Only the group winner advances and will play Group K winner (possibly world 11 Beiwen Zhang of :USA in the last 16).

Edited by OlympicIRL

Great run from Adeleke, obviously none of the other genuine medal contenders for Paris were in the race, but shill she's running exactly the kind of times you'd want her to be running at this point.

Regarding Mageean, I'm genuinely delighted she went out and got her European gold medal a few weeks ago. She's way off it right now and I can't see her contending in Paris. But looking at the times others are running, obviously Kipyegon and now Jessica Hull too, along with a number of others, even if Mageean was at her best I wouldn't see her winning an Olympic medal. On current form she may well not make the final - there's likely an issue there we haven't been told about.

On form she won’t get out of the heats. There’s clearly something wrong. No way is she 15s behind some of those girls 

However, Adeleke is absolutely a medal contender now. Any doubt I had was wiped tonight. 

Her v Paulinho v Kaczmarek v the doper from Bahrain for the medals now I think 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Great run from Adeleke, obviously none of the other genuine medal contenders for Paris were in the race, but shill she's running exactly the kind of times you'd want her to be running at this point.

Regarding Mageean, I'm genuinely delighted she went out and got her European gold medal a few weeks ago. She's way off it right now and I can't see her contending in Paris. But looking at the times others are running, obviously Kipyegon and now Jessica Hull too, along with a number of others, even if Mageean was at her best I wouldn't see her winning an Olympic medal. On current form she may well not make the final - there's likely an issue there we haven't been told about.

She was only an outside shot at a medal but at top form would have been exciting to cheer her on and see her challenging. We are all delighted with her gold medal at Europeans but equally sad to see her in this form before the biggest event of her life. Most likely she has something going on we don’t know about. 

Edited by OlympicIRL