website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread

heywoodu

Great Abaco Island is about to get screwed big time...really, really hope everyone has gotten out of there. That's (sustained!) wind speeds of 240 km/h and more..

ypoPLGE.gif

Florida still projected to be in big trouble, especially if the hurricane indeed slows down after the Bahamas, that'd be terrible.

Spoiler

f4f7e8c36b9b2aabd18d15f17ef9f48e.gif

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

There it is, as expected Dorian has been upgraded to category 5, the strongest one. Northern part of the Bahamas about to be hit by 250 km/h winds.

All webcams on the north of the Bahamas have gone down, meaning one can assume power is out. It's now a matter of surviving for those unfortunate enough to not have been able to evacuate, and a matter of waiting for the rest until any sort of contact is possible.

Edited by heywoodu

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

All webcams on the north of the Bahamas have gone down, meaning one can assume power is out. It's now a matter of surviving for those unfortunate enough to not have been able to evacuate, and a matter of waiting for the rest until any sort of contact is possible.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Great Abaco has a huge population. I think the majority of Bahamians live on the southern islands, but as I said I haven’t looked at a map of the Bahamas in a while. Either way this storm has taken a turn for the worse. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Great Abaco has a huge population. I think the majority of Bahamians live on the southern islands, but as I said I haven’t looked at a map of the Bahamas in a while. Either way this storm has taken a turn for the worse. 

Yeah it's not the most populated area of the Bahamas, but people do live there and this is an absolute monster of a hurricane, one of the strongest ever in the entire Atlantic. The simple but sad truth is: people who for whatever reason didn't manage to evacuate - which of course is not always possible for some people, sadly - have a very serious chance to not be alive anymore come tomorrow morning.

Just now, heywoodu said:

Yeah it's not the most populated area of the Bahamas, but people do live there and this is an absolute monster of a hurricane, one of the strongest ever in the entire Atlantic. The simple but sad truth is: people who for whatever reason didn't manage to evacuate - which of course is not always possible for some people, sadly - have a very serious chance to not be alive anymore come tomorrow morning.

I do know that the government of the Bahamas said the were trying to evacuate the northern islands yesterday so hopefully they were successful.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, heywoodu said:

Oddly enough Irma really didn’t do a crazy amount of damage, so hopefully this one goes the same way.