website statistics

Ice Hockey 2021 - 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Ladies and gentlemen. Slaf with another jewell today in :FIN play-offs

3 points already (2+1) in 2 play-off games and 5 goals + 4 assists since he returned from Beijing...

No need to say the whole country hope TPS Turku will be eliminated in this play-off QF series and Slaf will be allowed to join our U18 National Team at the Division I A tournament starting in 2 weeks :p

TISC host The Steel Arena almost fell last night :d HC Košice won the 6th game against Michalovce 2-1 After Overtime and thus the whole series 4-2 to advance to the Semifinals :clap::clap::clap:

But dear god. This was so TENSE !!! That golden goal in the 15th minute of overtime was like the whole Himalayas fell from our back :lol:

Here The winning overtime goal. Crazy how tense this was

Denver Pioneers 'stick with it,' rally in third period to win school's ninth NCAA men's hockey crown

Denver scored five straight third-period goals to capture the NCAA Division I men's hockey championship with a 5-1 victory over Minnesota State at TD Garden on Saturday night.

It's the ninth title in program history for the Pioneers, tying Michigan's NCAA record for the most ever.

Denver had eliminated the Wolverines in the semifinals of the Frozen Four to advance to the title game against the Mavericks.

"It certainly was a goal to get to nine," said Denver coach David Carle.

"The ultimate goal is to be the first one to 10, I will tell you.

Winning Thursday against Michigan was a huge step in that direction, and obviously tonight is an even bigger step."

Senior forward Ryan Barrow and sophomore defenseman Mike Benning scored 2 minutes, 47 seconds apart in the third period to erase Minnesota State's 1-0 lead, finally breaking through against a stingy Mavericks defense in front of Hobey Baker Award-winning goalie Dryden McKay.

"I kinda blacked out. I just saw my teammates coming towards me and I had to [celebrate]," Benning said of his game-winning goal.

"I thought I owed it to my teammates after taking that penalty."

Denver goalie Magnus Chrona, a San Jose Sharks prospect, made 24 saves in the victory.

"Did our guy have to make some saves? Absolutely. We utilized our goaltender to the extreme," said Carle.

"Sometimes it takes all 60 minutes, and we utilized the last 20 to our fullest advantage."

In the first period, Minnesota State struck first on the power play, with Benning in the box for tripping Andy Carroll.

Junior forward Brendan Furry launched a shot from the left wing that Chrona kicked to the slot.

The puck went through the legs of a Pioneers penalty killer to Mavericks winger Lucas Sowder, who made a quick pass to junior forward Sam Morton.

With his momentum taking him backward as he shot the puck, Morton's one-timer found the back of the net with 6:01 remaining in the first period.

The Mavericks would kill off a Denver power play and outshot them 8-3 in the opening frame.

Minnesota State held an 18-8 advantage after two periods.

"We just said, 'Stick with it.' We didn't get here by shying award from challenges," Carle said.

"It took everybody to do what we did in the third period there."

Denver finally broke through against McKay and the Minnesota State defense with 15:14 left in regulation.

Freshman Jack Devine took a shot on right wing that McKay stopped with his pad, but senior winger Ryan Barrow was standing on his doorstep to deposit the puck into the net for the 1-1 tie.

Morton took a tripping penalty 40 seconds later, putting Denver on the power play.

Just seven seconds after that power play ended, Benning blasted a one-timer on a pass from defenseman Shai Buium for the 2-1 lead, as Minnesota State watched its advantage suddenly evaporate.

"Once we gave up the first one, I thought we started leaking oil a little bit. Couldn't stop the bleeding. We started chasing the game," said Minnesota State coach Mike Hastings.

Denver nearly made it 3-1, but the referees waived off a goal for incidental contact with McKay.

But the Pioneers would put the game away with 6:26 left in the third period as freshman center Massimo Rizzo converted a 2-on-1 pass from freshman winger Carter Mazur.

Forward Brett Stapley and Wright added empty-net goals for the 5-1 final score.

Minnesota State made the Frozen Four for the first time last year, losing to St. Cloud State in the semifinals.

This year, they ousted rival Minnesota with a 5-1 win in the semifinals Thursday before falling to Denver in the national title game.

The loss likely marks the end of a remarkable college career for McKay.

The 24-year-old set NCAA records with 37 wins and 34 shutouts this season for the Mavericks, becoming just the third goaltender to win the Hobey Baker and the first since former NHL goalie Ryan Miller in 2001.

Interestingly, McKay did not win the Mike Richter Award as the nation's top goaltender, which went to Buffalo Sabres prospect Devon Levi of Northeastern.

McKay went undrafted by NHL teams and is a free agent.

He has one more season of eligibility left at Minnesota State but has indicated he doesn't intend to return for another NCAA campaign.

"I gave up a bad rebound on the first [goal] and they capitalized," said McKay.

"It would have been nice to make a few more saves for the guys. It just didn't happen."

The Pioneers had last made the championship game in 2017, which was the last time they won the title.

Carle took over from Jim Montgomery after that championship.

At 32 years old, Carle becomes the fourth-youngest head coach to win a men's hockey national championship.

Match Highlights

:AUT:HUN:ITA:CZE:SLO win2day ICE Hockey League :AUT:HUN:ITA:CZE:SLO

EC Red Bull Salzburg won their 7th title in the Austrian Open League on Monday night, when they defeated the Hungarian side Hydro Fehèrvàr AV19 by a score of 3-1 in game #4 of the finals and by sweeping 4-0 the entire series.

Not only, they went undefeated through the whole playoffs run.

It's only the second time in the League's history that a team achieves the socalled "perfect postseason".

Thanks also to his unbelievable .950 save percentage (only 16 goals given up in 12 games, 2 of them going to OT), Salzburg's Finnish netminder Atte Tolvanen was named Playoffs MVP.

LEAGUE SUMMARY

Regular Season Final Standings

https://www.ice.hockey/en/schedule-results/standings

Playoffs Brackets Recap

https://www.ice.hockey/en/schedule-results/playoffs

Final Series

Game #1: Salzburg - Fehèrvàr 2-1 OT2 (1-1; 0-0; 0-0; 0-0; 1-0)

Game Highlights

https://www.puls24.at/video/sport-icehl-ice-hockey-league/highlights-ice-finale-ec-red-bull-salzburg-vs-hydro-fehervar-av19-spiel-1/v-cj0ruajo91q9

Game #2: Fehèrvàr - Salzburg 3-5 (1-1; 1-2; 1-2)

Game Highlights

https://www.puls24.at/video/sport-icehl-ice-hockey-league/highlights-ice-finale-hydro-fehervar-av19-vs-ec-red-bull-salzburg-spiel-2/v-cj2ymq9v99ax

Game #3: Salzburg - Fehèrvàr 2-1 (0-0; 1-1; 1-0)

Game Highlights

https://www.puls24.at/video/sport-icehl-ice-hockey-league/highlights-ice-finale-ec-red-bull-salzburg-vs-hydro-fehervar-av19-spiel-3/v-cj4s1c7m3ea9

Game #4: Fehèrvàr - Salzburg 1-3 (1-1; 0-1; 0-1)

Game Highlights

https://www.puls24.at/video/sport-icehl-ice-hockey-league/highlights-ice-finale-hydro-fehervar-av19-vs-ec-red-bull-salzburg-spiel-4/v-cj4qm1968xfl

Slaf and his above Everest self-confidence :lol:

The 18-year-old kid started during one interruption of the :FIN league semifinal explaining to his teammates of TPS Turku what to do.  And to make sure everyone will understand, he did not hesitate to take the coach whiteboard table and explain it to them a little more specifically.

The coach was just staring and shaking his head :p

In :SVK we know the finalists Slovan Bratislava will face HK Nitra

Sadly my HC Košice lost the semifinals Series against the eternal archirival Slovan Bratislava 4-3 in the series with the decider yesterday in the overtime of the 7th match in Bratislava

Yeah, it can hardly be more frustrating and hearthbreking...

Here the highlights of that 7th match. Enjoy the paradox of the absolute joy of locals and neverending tears and disappointement of the whole Košice

12 hours ago, hckošice said:

In :SVK we know the finalists Slovan Bratislava will face HK Nitra

Sadly my HC Košice lost the semifinals Series against the eternal archirival Slovan Bratislava 4-3 in the series with the decider yesterday in the overtime of the 7th match in Bratislava

Yeah, it can hardly be more frustrating and hearthbreking...

Here the highlights of that 7th match. Enjoy the paradox of the absolute joy of locals and neverending tears and disappointement of the whole Košice

yeah, I saw that match on RTVS :Sport...:d

it looked that Slovan had it in full control, but then Kosice came back and I started thinking that they had enough momentum to close it down, but unfortunately for them, Slovan find the way to put the word "end" on the series...

despite losing the chance of watching the KHL (well, it's not that I don't know how to make up for AMC's boycott...but still, I'm also going for a personal boycott since they made it harder to watch them with good quality picture -poor pictures' streams are not an option for me), I'm going mad with all the main European League finals going on at the same time...:facepalm:

since it's impossible for me to watch all of them live and save myself from spoilers at the same time, I'm gonna post only a quick recap of them all once they finish, as I did with the ICE League last week...

however, here's a quick summary of what's going on around Europe...

:AUT Austria (open to more Countries): we already wrote how the season ended, with Red Bull Salzburg crowned champions once again

:RUS Russia: CSKA Moscow and Metallurg Magnitogorsk are playing the Gagaring Cup Finals...the teams are tied 1-1 after the first couple of games played in Magnitogorsk

:FIN Finland: we already wrote yesterday about it...Tappara Tampere are leading 1-0 against TPS Turku in the Liiga Finals

:CZE Czech Republic: Ocelari Trinec and Sparta Prague are tied 1-1 after the first 2 games of the Extraliga Finals played in Trinec

:SUI Switzerland: ZSC Lions Zurich won the first 2 matches of the NLA Finals against EV Zug, first on the road and then at home, both times coming from behind late in the game (in game #1 the winning goal came with only 2.2 secs to play :yikes:)

:DEN Denmark: Aalborg Pirates are leading the final series of the Metalligaen against Rungsted Seier Capitals by a score of 2-1

:NOR Norway: Stavanger Oilers have a comfortable 2-0 lead over Storhamar Elite after 2 games in the final series of the Fjordkraft-Ligaen

:SVK Slovakia: as @hckošice already wrote, we're ready for the start of the Finals, which are going to be played by HK Nitra and Slovan Bratislava

:SWE Sweden: here we're still at the semifinals' stage...Farjestad BK are leading 2-1 against CHL Champions Rogle BK (having stolen the home ice advantage in game #1) and Lulea are leading 2-1 against Frolunda Indians (1 away win for both teams so far)

:GER Germany: here the semifinals just started last night (in this case, they play best-of-5 series, meanwhile all the other Countries play best-of-7)...Red Bull Munchen destroyed the Wolfsburg Grizzlys in the first match of the series; on the other side, Eisbaren Berlin survived a scare by Mannheim and won the first match of this series in the OT

:FRA France: Les Bruleurs des Loups from Grenoble are once again the French Champions after winning the final series of the Ligue Magnus by a score of 4-1 against Les Ducs from Angers

:FIN

not a good day for Slaf and his TPS...:(

he didn't play that well and, above all, his team lost once again 2-1 against Tappara Tampere in the Liiga Finals (this time at home, even if the game went to OT)...

now the men from Turku are down 2-0 in the best-of-7 series...

:SWE

meanwhile, in Sweden Luleå HF are the first finalist of the SHL, after they won 4-1 at home in game #5 and 4-1 in the whole series against Frölunda Indians Gothemburg...

in the other semifinal, Färjestad BK are leading 3-1 in the series against Rögle BK and tomorrow they could also clinch a spot in the finals with a win on the road...

:RUS

finally, yesterday Metallurg Magnitogorsk won 4-0 in Moscow in game #3 of the Gagarin Cup finals and now they lead 2-1 in the series...

tomorrow game #4 is on stage, once again in the Russian Capital (puck drop @ 4.30 p.m. Moscow time, 3.30 p.m. CET)...