website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted

Did a quick scan of results on some of the more interesting state referendums so far:

New Jersey is on it’s way to legalizing weed at the moment. Only about 50% of the vote is in though, so that could change.

Massachusetts looks like it will reject a change to ranked-choice voting. This vote is still semi-close, so it could change.

Washington D.C. is on it’s way to decriminalize shrooms. There’s still a good amount of votes to be counted though.

Rhode Island looks poised to keep its full name. This results is semi-close, and this still a fair amount of votes left.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted

Something that may become a more pressing issue if this election gets closer...

The electoral college is made up of actual people. They meet at a real, physical location, and cast actual ballots. Like voting laws, every state determines how electors are chosen, and if they are bound to vote for a candidate or not. There’s multiple methods, but the real fact to underline here is that not every state mandates that their electors must according to the popular vote. So realistically a candidate could “win” 272 to 266, but then lose the electoral college if a few electors choose not to vote according to the popular vote in their state (but perhaps according to their own political beliefs, or national popular vote). 

I don’t see this being a realistic issue, but it always fun to theorize.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

They're going to take away the Rhode Island part since the state isn't entirely an island?

Ah, no. They will be attempting to get ride of the “Providence Plantations” part of the name. They did have a referendum on this in 2010 I believe, and vast majority of Rhode Islanders voted to keep the name then.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

The percentage Trump won in Florida is even larger than vs Hilary in 2016. Polls are all highly biased bullshit (like Trump said).

Poll inaccuracies boils down to demographics more than bias (though there could very well be some). It has to do with who is chooses to take part in the poll, and how they are contacted. There can also be situations where only the most motivated and involved voters bother to respond to polls.

Posted
3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Trump leads on Rhode Island. :wacko:

Another vote monitor there is the referendum on wether or not to change the name of the state. The full name of the state is currently “Rhode Island and Providence Plantations”

Posted
24 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It remains bizarre how every state has different ways of counting the votes, different times when they can start counting the votes (relatively), different systems, and so on. I know, USA, but it remains bizarre there's not a single line for a national election.

That comes down to the fears early Americans had of centralized power. Under our original governing document (the Articles of Confederation), the national government has basically zero power. It couldn’t tax, it couldn’t raise an army without states’ consent, etc. While the Constitution gave the federal government broader powers, the states still retained a good amount. 10th Amendment further maintains that any powers not explicitly given to the federal governments under the Constitution, remained as powers granted to the states. That’s why states have different voting laws, drug laws, healthcare laws, etc.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

It’s been reported that there’s been a mass shooting in Vienna :(

Posted
10 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Well, given that once-respectable publications refuse to cover legitimate stories which reflect badly on their favoured candidate, I din’t think there’s any reason to be snobbish.

No, there are still many respectable publications. If I see Reuters or AP pick up that story; then I’ll entertain the idea of someone using a body double. Those organizations don’t have a favored candidate. Reuters and the AP rank dead center in every measure of political slant done by organizations that measure those metrics. 

I really shouldn’t have to spend my time defending honest journalists against some of the garbage shared on here, but “history repeats itself” is working hard to make 2020 look more like 1938, so here I am.

It’s honestly amazing how many of the users on here who preach cynicism aren’t cynical about stories that agree with their opinion. When an honest reporter writes a fair and fact-filled story, that’s some “government fed lie,” but when a political pundit/commentator (whose only aim is to sell their political ideology at all costs) writes an insane conspiratorial story that basically lacks any evidence, or only quotes people from one side of the political spectrum, or includes doctored information; that’s a “hard truth.” 

Posted
47 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I didn’t believe the rumors Melania used a body double (which turned out to be false of course) and the odds are Kamala isn’t either. Also, again, can we not share opinion sites as a source of news. No self-respecting, honest to journalist is going to title an actual story “Holy Crap...” 

Posted

Texas Republicans are appealing to a federal judge to throw out 100,000+ ballots cast through curbside voting in Harris County (Houston area). 

Posted

@Agger Thought you may be interested to know there’s a candidate originally from Aarhus on the ballot in LA. She’s running for a judicial position.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
4 hours ago, dcro said:

Has anyone here played Mahjong? I have been wondering if it is a game worth learning. :p

No, but Crazy Rich Asians did make me want to learn.