website statistics

Great for the sport to have an elite player from China. Japan is doing pretty good at junior level as well, maybe Osaka inspired some of their younger girls. Interestingly i don't remember any remotely decent player from South Korea + Asia is pretty much irrelevant on the men's side. I think Nigeria for example also has a lot of potential.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Tennis 2022 Discussion Thread
Posted (edited)
On 12/9/2022 at 1:34 AM, Monzanator said:

Alexander Zverev returned to action for the first time since Roland Garros playing an exhibition in... Saudi Arabia :p  So much for Germany's message at the World Cup. Business as usual with the oil sheiks is quickly resumed :coffee:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/63911887

- German government also just signed a deal to buy LNG from Qatar (starting in 2026)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/29/germany-agrees-15-year-liquid-gas-supply-deal-with-qatar

- Noone (person or government) can be morally infallible in this world (or to use the words of a famous german philosopher "There is no right life in the wrong one."). Also don't you think that being good 10 % of the time is better than being good 0 % of the time?

I would like to end my comment with an other quote of the same german philosopher you might be interested in:

“Intolerance of ambiguity is the mark of an authoritarian personality.”

Edited by Sindo

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, vinipereira said:

They came to the Olympics last minute, saved 4 match points today, and won our first medal ever in Tennis.

Best :BRA medal in these Games? I say yes! :clap::clap::clap:

(btw, I think I woke up the whole neighborhood)

I think Andrade's medal was your best medal considering that women's gymnastics is one of the most competitive sports. Also bronze in men's 200 freestyle was very impressive, considering that this is one of the most competitive disciplines in swimming. A medal in volleyball would also be very impressive.

Tennis ITF Roland Garros 2021
Posted

Like I said before: The quality might be at an all-time low. Pretty much all the consistent players are gone. Now is the chance for young players like Gauff to break through. 

The Czech Republic (Noskova) also won the women’s junior competition! Noskova might not even be their biggest talent, Fruhvirtova is higher rated.

Posted

Would be incredible if Greece could win both singles titles. Also would be nice to see a Sakkari/Tsitsipas mixed double (at the olympics). 

First all-European slam semifinal on the women’s side since 2018 Australian Open.

Posted

Not a fan of Swiatek, but this is her tournament to lose. Even less consistency on the women’s side than usual. No Williams, Sharapova, Azarenka, Kvitova, Keys, Stephens, Bencic, Pliskova, Osaka, Barty, Kerber, Halep, Svitolina, Andreescu, Muguruza. Hopefully some of the younger women will become at least somewhat consistent soon, otherwise most slams will be ultra-low quality.  

On the men’s side Nadal vs. Tsitsipas seems like the most likely final. Italy has great prospects on the men’s side, let’s see how that will turn out. Canada has shown that even having multiple amazing talents doesn’t guarantee success at senior level.

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2021
Posted
On 20/02/2021 at 15:16, Monzanator said:

Get real, 95% of Europeans don't know who Marie Curie was :p

I guess that depends on your understanding of what it means to know who someone was, but I think far more than 5 % of people could tell you what field of research she was in and when she lived. I think till this day she is only one of 2 or 3 people who won more than one Nobel prize and at that time that was pretty unthinkable, especially for a woman.

Posted
On 21/02/2021 at 11:52, LDOG said:

Our serbian friends, at least the ones from here, are probably: "yeah, yeah, another trophy but go win the gold medal later ok":coffee:

I think even they aren’t delusional enough to think that he can take the gold from Murray.

Posted
On 21/02/2021 at 11:41, heywoodu said:

So Djokovic wins again. Omg so exciting and historical and unexpected etc etc :p 

It indeed was very exciting and surprising to see him having a miracle turnaround after his life-threatening injury mid-tournament.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Tsitsipas is half-Russian. It's been a while since Europe is proud of anything Russian-related :p

Not true. I think for example many Europeans are very proud of Marie Curie.

Posted
On 17/02/2021 at 14:31, Makedonas said:

I have no words for this. So proud to have someone like him to represent my country!

Semifinals will be tough and I don't know if he will have the energy. Regardless we are very proud :GRE

Agreed. As a European I am really proud that he represents us!

Posted
3 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Osaka wins something becoming really normal nowadays simply Serena in the making, she can even exceed what Serena has achieved :d

What a bittersweet day for Japan. On the one hand Osaka won her 4th slam, but on the other hand Watanabe got murdered ...

I think Osaka started way too late to come close to Serena, also I am not sure if she is good enough on other surfaces. Maybe one of the young american girls can also reach her level.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Maybe he should stop trying so hard to be hated. His attitude is disgusting and disgraceful. I used to support him because his father is Greek born in Greece but no thank you. This guy is an embarrassment to all Greeks worldwide with his childish behaviors.

You are probably the only person who sees it that way.

Posted
3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Being an idiot doesn't make you entertaining :coffee:

Not necessarily, but Kyrgios definitely is entertaining. I can’t judge whether he is an idiot or not, since I haven’t performed an IQ test on him.

Posted
1 hour ago, phelps said:

with all respect, Australia are only lucky because they are a big island with very few people spread around millions of square miles...

You can’t judge whether Australia got „lucky“ or not, but it certainly is true that they had it way easier than many European countries.

Posted

Really sad to see the hate towards Kyrgios. Tennis needs entertainers like him and not boring guys like Thiem or Djokovic.

Tennis ITF Roland Garros 2020
Posted
13 hours ago, thepharoah said:

only Barty , Osaka and andreescu are missing here from the top elite group , we have a lot more players missing back in the US open , anyway only Osaka in the US open 2018 whom we can say that dominated a GS recently , i don't think there're other players that have done the same Iga did here 

Yeah ... „only“ the player who won the tournament last year and is the current world number 1 (Barty), the player who won the last slam (Osaka) and the player who won the US Open last year (Andreescu). Combined they won 4 of the last 6 slams before this. Obviously it is easier to dominate when the field is weaker. First you were talking about no other player being as dominant in a single match and now you are talking about dominance over a whole tournament, so what is it. There certainly have been many players who were more dominant over a single match (slam final) and there were other players who were extremely dominant over a whole slam, for example Serena at the 2017 Australian Open.

Posted
1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

i haven't seen a dominant performance from the beginning to the end in WTA such i watched from Siwatek WOW ! only Serena is capable osf such thing that was an incredible 2 weeks from the polish youngster Congrats @rybak @Monzanator

There are other women who have been that dominant recently, for example Osaka. No one knows how close everyone is to 100 % and some players didn’t even bother to enter the competition. Personally I put an asterisk behind every result this year after the Australian Open. I don’t think that we will see girls like Trevisan or Podoroska repeating those results. Hopefully we will see everyone back at normal strength next year.

Posted

Switzerland has two guys in the men’s junior semifinal. Maybe they can stay relevant even after the retirement of Federer and Wawrinka. Also nice to see a dutch guy in the semifinal. In the women‘s junior competition we have two russian girls, a french girl and a girl from the Philippines! in the semifinal. The girl from the Philippines (Eala) was born in 2005 and is currently one of the 2 or 3 most hopeful talents, in 2018 she already won the „Les Petit As“ competition (some of the previous winners were Hingis, Clijsters, Safina, Ostapenko and Andreescu).

Posted
3 hours ago, LDOG said:

Wow the semis were today? I completely missed it, but I didn't miss much anyway.

Without Del Potro I don't feel like watching tennis frecuently anymore. Scrubs like Schwartzman don't get me excited in the slightest.

Schwartzmann will be top 10 after the tournament, that is quite an achievement. Obviously he isn’t one of the most talented guys, but he is super fit and is a great fighter. You also have a guy named Torres in the junior competition‘s semifinal, maybe he could be someone to cheer for.

Posted

Italy is doing a great job on the men’s side. I think they could win the Davis Cup in a couple of years with guys like Sinner or Musetti, although of course Canada, Russia and maybe the US will also have the potential to do it.

Posted

Really interesting to see that the 4 countries that host a slam have only 2 players in the 4th round and both are no-names born in 2000 (Gaston and Korda). You would think that the countries that host a slam should have a better talent development program. Also interesting to see that 3 guys born in 2000 or later made the 4th round, but Auger-Aliassime, Kuhn and Molleker aren’t among them.

Posted
On 02/10/2020 at 18:56, rybak said:

Youngster Hugo Gaston is on his way to defeat Stan Wawrinka and qualify to 4th round! :yikes: 

Really nice to see a tiny guy like him do so well. Maybe Schwartzman and Gaston will become the new „big“ two. :d